• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

Every official in every sport is going to blow calls, but NBA officials are the most blatantly biased towards the better players/teams in their blown calls. I think that is because they are more directly in the face of the players and coaches than NFL or MLB. But if you are playing against Lebron, Embiid, Durant, or Popovich, you know going into the game that you are going to get fucked by the officials. Hopefully it is just not enough to affect the outcome, but the fucking is going to happen.

Other than Brady, I don't think that obvious officiating bias exists in the NFL or MLB. Like you know going into an NFL game that there will be awful calls, but I don't think there is a certainty that Mahomes or Rodgers is going to be the one getting them. And an MLB ump may have a wide strike zone, but I don't think it is always Kershaw getting that wide strike zone more than anyone else.

Just in the Hornets-Spurs game the other night, there was a about a 5 minute sequence where: (1) Miles Bridges takes a slap to the face and finger in the eye to where they have to stop the game because he is holding his eye - common foul and no review for hit to the head. (2) PJ Washington going for a loose ball swings his elbow back in a natural motion and hits a Spur in the face - after review deemed a hostile act flagrant 1 for a hit to the face. (3) On the very next possession after the long review, DeRozen making the exact same motion as Washington just made on a drive swings his elbow back and hits Monk in the face - after review common foul despite the elbow to the face - completely contrary to what they just determined not more than a minute of gameplay prior on basically the exact same play. (4) Rozier is under the defensive basket with the ball, DeRozen mis-times his jump for the rebound and comes in with a flying knee to the back of Rozier's head - common foul and not even a review despite the knee to the head. All those results, while wildly inconsistent, were obvious before the calls were finalized simply because of who was playing. If that was the Hornets and Knicks, those calls are probably 2-2. But because it was Hornets and Spurs, it was 4-0. Over the course of a game, those inconsistencies can easily create a 8-10 point swing via the additional foul shots and possessions.

That has always been the NBA officiating, from Kareem to MJ to Shaq to most obviously DWade in the Finals, and I don't know if it will ever be fixed. It is the most frustrating thing about watching the NBA. But two specific officiating issues that the NBA does need to address:

1. If a defender is already in the air, the jump shooter jumping sideways into the airborne defender to create contact should be either an offensive foul or at best a no-call. It should not be a defensive foul. The offensive player is the one creating contact via an unnatural shooting motion (recognizing that some shooters have made it a natural motion to get away from a defender, but this is going into a defender). The offensive player has the option to either jump straight into his natural shooting form (either towards the basket or away from the defender) and if the contact occurs then it is still a shooting foul, or not shoot at all and if the defender jumps into him then it is a non-shooting foul. But jumping sideways into the defender to create the contact should be an offensive foul.

2. The "space to land" foul should not be called on a defender who does not move or jump after the shooter leaves his feet. The defender should not be allowed to undercut the shooter by moving towards him and preventing him from landing, but if it is the shooter's momentum is carrying him into the defender's established location either forward or sideways backwards, the defender should have the right to occupy that space with his feet and it should not be a defensive foul.

Last edited:
I genuinely did not realize that the Bulls were interested in fighting for the playoffs this season. That's an aggressive trade.

Official 2020-21 NBA Season Thread - Trade deadline talk

I figured Vucevic would be on the move but not to the Bulls. I guess they’ve given up on Carter.

Such a LOWF post from 2&2

Yeah. On #3, there was minimal contact if any and Monk reacted then Monk cocked his head back like he took an uppercut to sell the call. It was a flop.

Last edited:
Vucevic is on a very team friendly contract - $24M next year and $22M in 22-23. You don't get many guys as good as he is for that price.

Are the Bulls on the verge of making a big move in the NBA playoffs during the span of that contract? Never thought of the Bulls being Vucevic away from being a factor, but maybe that thought is wrong.

Vucevic is a nice piece. Not sure it's a franchise changing piece.

Official 2020-21 NBA Season Thread - Trade deadline talk

Fournier to the Celtics.

I think I may just turn on NBA TV and ESPN for the next few hours.

If the Bulls are giving up on youth in favor of 30+ guys, maybe that Markkanen for DeRozan trade isn’t that crazy.

Last edited:
The 2021 pick is top 4 protected and the 2023 is unprotected as far as I can tell. Seems like the Bulls expect to make the playoffs next few years with a core of Lavine + Vucevic

Edit: just kidding the 2023 one is also top 4 protected. Seems reasonable

Last edited:
What is Orlando doing? They are stuck being terrible forever, aren't they?

I have work to do today, but I keep refreshing twitter (after taking several months off from reading it) just going back and forth between "the Sixers are at the 1 yard line with the Raptors in a Lowry deal" and "Lakers are the current leaders for Lowry" takes.

If he does come, I think we jump the Nets as favs in the East, but I really, really, really, really, really don't want Matisse in the trade.

Such a LOWF post from 2&2

You are the one who solicited opinions on NBA officiating. What did you expect the response would be - yes, Embiid is officiated equally to everyone else around the league? You as a Sixers fan and Ph as a Spurs fan objecting to the accuracy of my post is like Duke fans soliciting opinions on CBB officiating and then acting confused at the resulting criticism.

I think I like the trade

I always liked Vucevic and fun to have a Deac on the squad (though I just peeped AFA's numbers this season and woof, plus he's due $10M next year)

always felt Carter's ceiling was pretty low and the two firsts are pricey, but Vucevic is an all-star on a nice contract and it's a lot less than what, say, the Bucks put up for Holiday

defense is worrisome though -- wonder if there's another trade to come

2-3 year window just got established -- hope it's at least fun!

You are the one who solicited opinions on NBA officiating. What did you expect the response would be - yes, Embiid is officiated equally to everyone else around the league? You as a Sixers fan and Ph as a Spurs fan objecting to the accuracy of my post is like Duke fans soliciting opinions on CBB officiating and then acting confused at the resulting criticism.

Sixers fans would laugh at the idea they get all the calls. No team thinks they get all the calls. And to complain about calls is LOWF. But I am glad to know there are people who think the officiating is still incredibly biased. I think they could do with some rule changes, because I think some players have kinda hacked the current rules, but I think officials are very good at making calls based on the rules as they exist.

I actually agree with most of 2&2's post with a couple notes:

- I think NFL QB officiating treatment in general is the worst in all of sports

- The star treatment thing is real and annoying -- I wish there were post-game fines or something for in-game whining -- but I don't think there are team biases like Duke/Carolina

- Across all levels of basketball, flopping sucks and it's a hard call to make, but I wish there were stronger post-game flopping fines and I wish refs did a better job of calling offensive fouls that didn't result in a flop

- 2&2 is absolutely right on the #1 jump-foul thing. I think it should be a no-call, not an offensive foul though.

- where the NBA best exceeds the NCAA is better decisions on no-calls -- the NCAA calls everything -- that said, I think the number of no-calls at the rim should go up a bit, but it's a hard bang-bang call almost every time

the NBA today is so athletic and fast that it's really hard to make the right call in the moment, so I'm sympathetic

Back