• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

I'm not gonna crown the Heat given their health status and the fact that Sixers will have the best player on the floor

embiid's thumb is a problem, he looked rough last game

if he didn't hit that crazy 3 in game 3, this series looks a lot different rn

Celtics/Heat
Warriors/Suns (though I might give Mavericks like a legit 40% chance of taking down the Suns)

Celtics over Heat
Warriors over Suns

I give the Pels a legit 40% chance of taking down the Suns

I give the Pels a legit 40% chance of taking down the Suns

No argument there! Suns will be fortunate to escape round 1 at all (I think they'll ultimately get it done, though it may very well take all 7 games to do it).

Weird take, 14. I just mentioned the Spurs as an example of one of a few teams that would go in for an offensive-minded PF in a league that doesn't really value them. Keep in mind that even as a Spurs fan, I wanted JC to stay with the Hawks last year. I just think based on how this season has gone that Collins' future may not be with the Hawks. I'm not the only one thinking this:

https://theathletic.com/3269593/2022/04/25/heat-hawks-trae-young/

I've seen you post about the Hawks needing a No. 2 option about 90 times and avoided taking the bait each time, but I guess I'm finally going to now.

Lets start with who these #2 option type players are. For the sake of this, I'll define them as clearly better offensive players than John Collins (who we would be trading away) but not likely to be the best offensive player on a Conference Final quality team. I'm excluding guys that play PG primarily, considering we are talking about adding them to the Hawks. I'm likely missing some guys (and this is obviously subjective), but here's my attempt at listing guys that fit the definition: DeMar DeRozan, Zach Lavine, Anthony Edwards, KAT, CJ McCollum, Brandon Ingram, Khris Middleton, Pascal Siakam, Jaylen Brown, Bradley Beal, Bam Adebayo, Domantas Sabonis, Ben Simmons (?), Paul George (?), Jamal Murray (?). There's other guys who may fit the mold, but I'm sticking to relatively well established and relatively young guys that would make sense for the Hawks.

Most of those guys are currently on teams that would like to be contenders next season, meaning that those teams would have to feel as though such a trade helps them win now, similarly to how the Hawks want a trade to help them win now. I don't foresee a trade centered around John Collins fulfilling that requirement for both teams, but would love to hear a mock trade idea if you've got one.

Ok, so let's say that the Hawks find a player who is a clear #2 option and who is being made available via trade. Maybe it's one of the guys I listed above, maybe it's one I overlooked. Yes, the Hawks would love to make that acquisition, but they aren't alone in wanting to do so. Here's a list of teams off the top of my head who would also like to be able to acquire a legit championship caliber #2 option behind their star offensive player: Hornets, Jazz, Mavericks, Grizzlies, and Cavaliers. I'm probably missing some teams, and maybe you could argue about some of those 5, but the point is that the Hawks would be in a bidding war if such a player was available via trade. Maybe JC + relatively little else is enough to win such a bidding war, but I doubt it.

All that to say, it's way easier to have meaningless conversations about acquiring a #2 option for the Hawks via a John Collins trade than it is to actually find a reasonable way in which that could happen. Considering how unlikely such an acquisition seems to me, I stand by my original assertion that it is highly unlikely JC is traded this offseason.

D14, so what moves do you think the Hawks will make? Or do you think they'll run it back like they did last year?

I think 14 isn't factoring in John Collins can just say he wants out. Who would wanna play with Trae?

D14, so what moves do you think the Hawks will make? Or do you think they'll run it back like they did last year?

I'd expect them to offload Gallo's salary to free up some cap space and mostly make minor moves for role players. I don't expect a blockbuster trade for reasons I outlined in that long post.

The only player I think may intrigue the Hawks would be Gobert if the Jazz blow things up. Gobert with Trae could be a good match, but they'd likely have to dump Capela in addition to Gallo.

I'm not gonna crown the Heat given their health status and the fact that Sixers will have the best player on the floor

Whoever is playing against the Heat often has the best player on the floor and it usually does not work out well for them. There is no "ii" in team.

embiid has an excellent track record against bam, but otherwise, the doc offense can get really stagnant when shots aren't dropping

I'd expect them to offload Gallo's salary to free up some cap space and mostly make minor moves for role players. I don't expect a blockbuster trade for reasons I outlined in that long post.

The only player I think may intrigue the Hawks would be Gobert if the Jazz blow things up. Gobert with Trae could be a good match, but they'd likely have to dump Capela in addition to Gallo.

So basically run it back.

Capela goes off the books next year. Gobert is 2 years older and locked in for more than twice as much for another four years.

If the Jazz did break up, I think they'd be more interested in Mitchell anyway. He'd allow Trae to move off the ball more.

how good would trae be off the ball? (genuinely asking, have no idea.) seems like a really high usage player by my eye test.

Watching the Heat play defense is an experience in itself. It's an absolute clinic. The way they rotate on defense is like music. I was in floor seats for the Miami-Hornets game and seeing it up close like that is unreal. I couldn't even figure out how they do it. Maybe its just hustle and they are certainly known to be in better shape than any other team.

how good would trae be off the ball? (genuinely asking, have no idea.) seems like a really high usage player by my eye test.

My impression has always been that they originally drafted Trae to use him like Steph. But they didn't have the personnel around him to actually do it. Seems like it's the goal though.

should play trae at center because less teams need a 6'0 center

If the Jazz did break up, I think they'd be more interested in Mitchell anyway. He'd allow Trae to move off the ball more.

Lol Trae was worth -3.1 in defensive RAPTOR on 538 and Mitchell was worth -2.8. As ranked by their WAR, the next best player that was a worse defender than one of those two was Bryn Forbes as the the 227th best player in the league.

538 ratings certainly aren't infallible, but even I'd admit that pairing would be utterly atrocious on the defensive end of the floor.

I tend to agree with D14 that Okongwu and Capela are much more similar than Okongwu and Collins. But it does seem like Collins is much more likely to be traded, between the return they can get on him (over Capella) and the possible friction between him and Trae

Ph, I do agree that using Trae like Steph makes more sense than what they do with him now, but the roster is certainly not meant to do that, and barring trades, they dont have a lot of flexibility

Back