• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

Recruiting. Building faster requires recruiting at a high level, and Clawson hasn’t done that at Wake. Finding elite talent in 2/3 star recruits just isn’t a consistent enough method of winning power-5 football games. Even if you do consistently find good QBs and receivers, it’s much harder to find good line of scrimmage positions with that level of recruiting.

So could Clawson recruit at a higher level at a bigger program with lower academic standards? Maybe? It’s obviously a question that people disagree about.

He had commitments from Bryce Petty and Tahj Boyd in one year as OC at Clemson. They de committed after Fulmer and Clawson were fired.

If it's true, the bolded part doesn't surprise me. Clawson is an upstate NY guy and his personality reflects it to some extent. I can see why he wouldn't be simpatico with a lot of HS coaches in NC. But he's a superlative coach and his approach is just what WF needs.

I remember an article early in the season go that was an anonymous survey of high school coaches, and they all spoke highly of Clawson. Maybe they don’t want to grab a beer with him, but they know he will help their players succeed.

I remember an article early in the season go that was an anonymous survey of high school coaches, and they all spoke highly of Clawson. Maybe they don’t want to grab a beer with him, but they know he will help their players succeed.

probably think Clawson is pretentious when he'd prefer to go to a nice restaurant and have a craft beer or wine. Not go to the Lumberton Applebee's.

Also the high school coaches seemed to go out of their way to praise Clawson’s assistants, and Clawson’s assistants love working for him.

Most of them said they don’t really interact with him because they don’t have players that would qualify academically.

Clawson said on Packer and Durham the assistants have had offers and turned them down I’d be curious to know.

So where do we expect to land in the rankings? I feel like top 10 is a sure thing. I’m going with 8. Jumping Michigan and Oregon.

tell me about all the 4-star and 5-star players Justin Fuente recruited to Memphis

Here's one of his classes but feel free to expand

i think you are making the opposite point. vt fans do not want to replicate what they did in hiring fuente which they deem to be a disaster.

fwiw, i think clawson would excel anywhere as he’s by and large a pragmatist and honestly getting us to a bowl game in year 3 deserves more credit than it gets (look at the year 1 roster), but i think it’s very reasonable for an outsider to question his credentials and see him as a mike riley hire.

i think you are making the opposite point. vt fans do not want to replicate what they did in hiring fuente which they deem to be a disaster.

fwiw, i think clawson would excel anywhere as he’s by and large a pragmatist and honestly getting us to a bowl game in year 3 deserves more credit than it gets (look at the year 1 roster), but i think it’s very reasonable for an outsider to question his credentials and see him as a mike riley hire.

my point is that every fanbase would love to get a young, energetic coach who has proven he can recruit and win at a very high level

trouble is, those guys aren't available and so the AD makes a concession somewhere

I just read on the Coaching Carousel thread that Billy Napier is a Va Tech target if Fuente is fired. If their fanbase would rather have Billy Napier than Dave Clawson, then god bless their stupidity.

This guy really doesn't want to talk about recruiting.

my point is that every fanbase would love to get a young, energetic coach who has proven he can recruit and win at a very high level

trouble is, those guys aren't available and so the AD makes a concession somewhere

That's why Lane Kiffin keeps getting work. 46 years old and he's had one NFL head coach job and 4 college head coach jobs.

I just read on the Coaching Carousel thread that Billy Napier is a Va Tech target if Fuente is fired. If their fanbase would rather have Billy Napier than Dave Clawson, then god bless their stupidity.
I've been told it's not their stupidity. We are the stupid ones because Clawson is a career .500 coach who can't recruit. If we actually cared about winning he'd be on the hot seat. We'll never have a program that sniffs success.

I've been told it's not their stupidity. We are the stupid ones because Clawson is a career .500 coach who can't recruit. If we actually cared about winning he'd be on the hot seat. We'll never have a program that sniffs success.

From fans of a program that has been less successful than Geogria Tech and Colorado over the course of most of our lifetimes.

Official 2021 College Football Thread: First CFP Rankings Tuesday at 7:00 PM !!!!!!!!

Quoted from the post directly above your post:
0dcd836a78e92835bb6c3fc17a2f2877.jpg

You can make all the stupid straw men arguments you want, it’s simply a difference of opinion about whether or not Clawson would succeed at a big time football program. You believe he would, I(we) don’t believe he would. Let’s hope Wake Forest fans don’t get to find out.

Quoted from the post directly above your post:
0dcd836a78e92835bb6c3fc17a2f2877.jpg

You can make all the stupid straw men arguments you want, it’s simply a difference of opinion about whether or not Clawson would succeed at a big time football program. You believe he would, I(we) don’t believe he would. Let’s hope Wake Forest fans don’t get to find out.
There's no straw man, what are you talking about? Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but that's not what VT fans (you??) are stating. They are citing as fact that he can't recruit. Based on...? He has never had a job at a school like VT as HC. Based on what he has been asked to do at the multiple HC stops on his career path, he has been incredibly successful: coaching, winning, and recruiting for the program-specific needs.

What you're trying to say is that you only believe people who have demonstrated big state school recruiting success in the past are capable of doing it again. Because Clawson has never had that role, he cannot ostensibly be successful at VT. It's a strange take, but you're entitled to your opinion.

There's no straw man, what are you talking about? Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but that's not what VT fans (you??) are stating. They are citing as fact that he can't recruit. Based on...? He has never had a job at a school like VT as HC. Based on what he has been asked to do at the multiple HC stops on his career path, he has been incredibly successful: coaching, winning, and recruiting for the program-specific needs.

What you're trying to say is that you only believe people who have demonstrated big state school recruiting success in the past are capable of doing it again. Because Clawson has never had that role, he cannot ostensibly be successful at VT. It's a strange take, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Dude, don't you remember the 5 stars that Urban Meyer was getting at Bowling Green and Nick Saban at Toledo?

My friend from work - yuge UNC fan - is convinced Cincy gets in over Wake if both end up undefeated. I've offered up $500 bet and he won't take it. He even went as low to say "we don't all make as much money as you do Creamy". And I assure you guys, I don't make much money.

But now I want to Deacs to go undefeated just to prove my damn point!

Back