• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

Frost is going to crush it next season as an assistant analyst - offense for Alabama next season.

NC Central (+15.5) is up 9 late against Alcorn St. in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge on ESPN.

As others have pointed out, Nebraska's days as a national football power are long gone. It's a small state with little football talent, and no major talent wants to go play in Lincoln when they can stay in the Southeast or Southwest and play for more relevant and recent national programs. Frost is almost certainly gone at the end of the season, but it won't really matter who they get to replace him, as Nebraska will continue to struggle just to be relevant in the Big Ten, much less return to any major bowl games or the national conversation.

Anyone looking for tickets ?

This Bishop Sycamore thing is great. Very informative thread about the scam.

South Carolina starting a grad assistant at QB this weekend. Yikes.

South Carolina starting a grad assistant at QB this weekend. Yikes.

Just an amazing story. The QB, Zeb Noland, was Trey Lance's back up at ND State. He had a year of eligibility, but moved on to be a grad assistant at S. Carolina as Noland had no shot at PT. The Cock QB situation is so dire that Noland is now starting. That is the underbelly of SEC Football that is largely ignored.

Just an amazing story. The QB, Zeb Noland, was Trey Lance's back up at ND State. He had a year of eligibility, but moved on to be a grad assistant at S. Carolina as Noland had no shot at PT. The Cock QB situation is so dire that Noland is now starting. That is the underbelly of SEC Football that is largely ignored.

Wild story and all, but lets not act like he's some absolute scrub. Dude played at Iowa State for a couple of years and torched OU one game albeit in a close loss. I think he'll do just fine.

I'm sure you'll call me an apologist for the SEC, but not sure what underbelly you're talking about here. The presumed starter (Doty) got hurt and this guy has eligibility. There are two other QBs on the roster. Bentley and Hylinski transferred after the coaching change.

This Bishop Sycamore thing is great. Very informative thread about the scam.

ESPN needs to be taken down about 10 notches. Why was this game even being televised? During the broadcast, ESPN was talking about how Bishop Sycamore is a 2-year old online-only school made for football. How does this end up on TV? Is this what we're promoting?

ESPN needs to be taken down about 10 notches. Why was this game even being televised? During the broadcast, ESPN was talking about how Bishop Sycamore is a 2-year old online-only school made for football. How does this end up on TV? Is this what we're promoting?

yeah, the "vetting" process should have been: team went 0-6 and was outscored by 30 ppg last year, they don't belong on the same field with the #1 high school team in the country, NEXT

Included in the Twitter thread is the Paragon Sports "vetted" Bishop Syracuse for ESPN. You may remember Paragon from the UNC-CH Joe Forte days.

ESPN is televising high school football games because there's nothing better to televise.

This whole Bishop Sycamore scandal feeds the narrative that ESPN is a lazy worldwide leader who is only at the top due to lack of competition.

ESPN can televise high school football by going to big public schools in Texas or Florida or wherever and move a game before an early bye week from Friday or Sunday. It’s not hard. But if they want to promote a regular HS game as a showcase of future college maybe pro stars, that’s much more difficult.

The Athletic story about this goes into some detail about how power programs like IMG have trouble scheduling games because East Sarasota HS and West Bradenton Prep don’t want to line up to get pounded by kids who will be ACC and SEC starters in 2-3 years. So Bishop Sycamore exploited this problem to make money as the Washington Generals of high school football under the guise of giving 19 and 20 year olds a second shot at a scholarship.

does anyone here watch HS sports? I have no interest, even when wake hoops was recruiting guys that were featured

I think the only televised HS sports I've watched are the McD's AA game with CP3 and LeBron (I was also a HS senior then) and one of those StV-StM LeBron games on ESPN.

I watched that game WR Jamaal Banks' school played two years ago. He didn't play or barely played. It was something to put on the TV.

I can see televising HS basketball to showcase players because they'll be playing on national TV in college or in the NBA soon enough and you can actually see them play. I can kind of see televising a HS football game between two QBs who are committed to big time programs.

Otherwise, I think the only reason to televise a HS football game is to showcase the region, the rivalry, and the whole "Friday night lights" atmosphere.

does anyone here watch HS sports? I have no interest, even when wake hoops was recruiting guys that were featured

If the level of play is decent and t's a competitive game, sure. Heck, I watched a fair amount of the Little League World Series and found it entertaining.

I'm sure you'll call me an apologist for the SEC, but not sure what underbelly you're talking about here. The presumed starter (Doty) got hurt and this guy has eligibility. There are two other QBs on the roster. Bentley and Hylinski transferred after the coaching change.

The underbelly is that with one QB injured, SC had no other viable QB options other than a grad assistant who had given up football. The Gamecocks will be another crappy SEC team that will lose to someone embarrassing, like Troy or ECU, and then will claim SEC superiority if/when Bama wins another title. FWIW, E. Illinois (SC's first opponent) is among the worst FCS teams in the country after that it will be another long year in Colombia as Vandy will finish above SC in the SEC Least standings this year.

Back