• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bonnie Tyler Total Eclipse thread

DownEastDeac

Reaction score
I purchased a total solar eclipse road atlas, and have identified a maximum 14 hour drive time that ranges from Arkansas to New York. My final decsion will be based on the closest clear/mostly clear forecast 2-3 days out, then hit the road. Ideally I'll end up in central Ohio, which is around 9 hrs. for me. I hope to avoid all the major cities/events/crowds, maybe post up in a rural church parking lot of somethng similar, then head home. Sounds kinda dumb to spend 3 days mostly in a car for 5 minutes of eclipse time, but last one probably in my lifetime, and folks are flying in from around the country and world so I'm fortunate to be able to catch it w/o much expense or advance planning required.

I purchased a total solar eclipse road atlas, and have identified a maximum 14 hour drive time that ranges from Arkansas to New York. My final decsion will be based on the closest clear/mostly clear forecast 2-3 days out, then hit the road. Ideally I'll end up in central Ohio, which is around 9 hrs. for me. I hope to avoid all the major cities/events/crowds, maybe post up in a rural church parking lot of somethng similar, then head home. Sounds kinda dumb to spend 3 days mostly in a car for 5 minutes of eclipse time, but last one probably in my lifetime, and folks are flying in from around the country and world so I'm fortunate to be able to catch it w/o much expense or advance planning required.
First time anyone’s ever said this

I'm going to Indiana if the weather will be clear. Approximately 8 hours. The last total solar eclipse was spectacular and will always be one of my most memorable lifetime events. Everybody should experience at least one in their lifetime. The road time will be worth it.

I'm going to Indiana if the weather will be clear. Approximately 8 hours. The last total solar eclipse was spectacular and will always be one of my most memorable lifetime events. Everybody should experience at least one in their lifetime. The road time will be worth it.
Thanks for posting this; helps me confirm that this is trully worth the time to experience it.

Fredericksburg Texas is supposed to be on the path. Last year there were people scoping out hotels at Christmastime in order to secure their spot.

Fredericksburg Texas is supposed to be on the path. Last year there were people scoping out hotels at Christmastime in order to secure their spot.

A lot of Texas is. I'll be able to step outside my door and watch it here in DFW.

A rural church in the middle of nowhere during a rare “act of god” what could go wrong.

My house is in the path of totality. All of the schools are closed that day and a lot of businesses are, too. Local emergency management is sending out dire warnings about the flood of people heading to the area implying a level of gridlock and misanthropy that will lead to cannibalism, or some such. My office looks west out over Lake Champlain, so if it is remotely clear (it won't be), I'll have a front row seat to the apocalypse if I can make it in there. Might have to sleep at the office, though. Did carryout Thai the other night and they had a box of eclipse glasses on sale for a dollar apiece.

headed to Burlington VT. had an airbnb booked last summer.

My house is in the path of totality. All of the schools are closed that day and a lot of businesses are, too. Local emergency management is sending out dire warnings about the flood of people heading to the area implying a level of gridlock and misanthropy that will lead to cannibalism, or some such. My office looks west out over Lake Champlain, so if it is remotely clear (it won't be), I'll have a front row seat to the apocalypse if I can make it in there. Might have to sleep at the office, though. Did carryout Thai the other night and they had a box of eclipse glasses on sale for a dollar apiece.
Thanks for the invite. Guest room or couch?

We and my SIL and family are taking all of our kids to Cleveland for the weekend leading up but I don't believe much planning has been done for the actual day of the eclipse. I'm concerned about how crowded the highway will be for the way back that evening.

We and my SIL and family are taking all of our kids to Cleveland for the weekend leading up but I don't believe much planning has been done for the actual day of the eclipse. I'm concerned about how crowded the highway will be for the way back that evening.
This was our initial plan, to include Sunday at the R&R HOF. Got to scoping hotel prices which are absurd, and to your point traffic could be a massive headache. I may be totally naive to think that everywere along the path won't have massive crowds, but as of now going with my plan to wait until a few days out and based on weather find a spot near BFE. With so many folks doing advance planning and being locked in to specific hotels, airports, etc. I'm hoping to sneak in/out the relatively-speaking backdoor of this thing.

Vampire Weekend concert downtown Austin at the Moody Amphitheater during the eclipse. Should be interesting. Never been to a concert at noon on a Monday before!

DiVs apocalypse view:

cxiakgtra4fa1.jpg

i've flirted with the idea of driving to the path of totality but i think i'd have to go pretty far to get somewhere without clouds in the forecast

Surprised Biff hasn't commented about Charlotte's apparent popularity on that map.

I did a little bit of research for my FIL who is a semi-professional photographer, and based on weather and likely best places to camp in nature without obstructions, I recommended Cedar Lake, Illinois. The Carbondale area is going to get 4 minutes of total eclipse.

Back