• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

I think people here realize that Wake Forest Football isn't the same as Georgia football and then we probably aren't going to be playing for national championships anytime soon.

Or someone from the ACC realized that the payout for the Birmingham Bowl is 3x the payout for Gasparilla, and they wanted more money in the pot.

My understanding was the Gasparilla was swapped for the First Responder and that Birmingham was going to be in the mix regardless. But your point is interesting. Wikipedia lists both the First Responder and the Birmingham Bowl as having higher payouts than the Gasparilla (about $500K higher). So that would be an alternative explanation.

Seems to me if you have the worst regular season record of the teams mentioned here, you should take what you get and be happy. Makes sense to me a team with a better record should have veto power over the team with the lesser record.

I agree with this to an extent. Not sure how bitter we can be. I was just trying to provide a plausible explanation for what went down yesterday.

Legion Field is a decrepit facility, but Birmingham is not a bad spot for a bowl from a Wake standpoint. Close to ATL, where there are a lot of alumni, and a reasonable drive from SC/NC. Lots to do in B'ham, and isn't usually that cold in December.

If 94’s explanation is true, it’s just one more reason to despise Wellman for not being able to swing the Tampa bid and to hate the weenies at dook for pitching a big ol’ hissy fit about exams.

Cut didn’t want to have to juggle prep and travel around NSD. The exams complaint is a sham.

Biff has a real sad.

It would seem the ACC needs to pawn the detroit bowl game off on another conference since nobody wants to play there.

The Sun Bowl as well, State fans were pissed about that draw last year...

Oh wait, now you're saying that it's not unreasonable for a fanbase to not want to travel 2/3's of the way across the country for a second rate bowl game. Okay, got it.

It would seem the ACC needs to pawn the detroit bowl game off on another conference since nobody wants to play there.

We need matchups against P5 opponents. We can't ditch Detroit or the Sun Bowl without some replacements. I think it's good to have them, especially the Sun Bowl vs. the Pac-12. The ACC needs to work with the Gasparilla Bowl to help it to be what Camping World is to the Citrus Bowl.

State fans were pissed about the shit opponent last year, not going to the Sun Bowl. Got our wish this year, let’s see if we can stop from cramping the bed this time around.

Oh wait, now you're saying that it's not unreasonable for a fanbase to not want to travel 2/3's of the way across the country for a second rate bowl game. Okay, got it.

Since when was Birmingham 2/3 of the way across the country? I could leave right now and be there in time for dinner. Or catch a flight and have a late lunch.

El Paso and Detroit on the other hand are horrible geographical tie-ins for the ACC as well as being pretty lame locations in general.

The closest ACC school to Detroit is Louisville and that is a 6 hour drive. Next is Syracuse at 7 hours, and it gets significantly longer from there.

The closest ACC school to El Paso is FSU and that is a 21 hour treck by land. The rest of the ACC is as far or significantly further than that.

The closest ACC school to Birmingham is Georgia Tech at just over a 2 hour drive. Then Clemson at 4, FSU at 5, and Wake at 7.

It took me 6+ hours (without traffic) to get to Annapolis and over 7 hours to get to Nashville for those bowl games and Wake was represented well to very well at both games. I just don't see where you're coming from....

He's referring to the criticism of Texas A&M fans' showing.

Which I'd be more willing to go along with if it wasn't one of the largest schools in the country

It is valid because there are thousands of Wake alumni living in Winston-Salem and Charlotte and Rhode Island is still a lot closer than Texas.

Just because you're being kind of an ass, I actually looked it up. It takes me 15 hours to get to Charlotte driving. It is apparently 16 hours driving from College Station to Charlotte.

Also, I would assume those "thousands" you speak of are still less than 10k.

State fans were pissed about the shit opponent last year, not going to the Sun Bowl. Got our wish this year, let’s see if we can stop from cramping the bed this time around.

Your wish is what we got last year.

I wasn't insinuating that they were unhappy with the quality of bowl, the Sun Bowl has always had a good reputation and higher end teams. The State fans I spoke with were hoping for a closer trip, they never mentioned they were pissed about playing Arizona State.

Just because you're being kind of an ass, I actually looked it up. It takes me 15 hours to get to Charlotte driving. It is apparently 16 hours driving from College Station to Charlotte.

Also, I would assume those "thousands" you speak of are still less than 10k.

You do realize that outside of a couple of Independence Bowl appearances that were in easy driving distance, the Belk Bowl is the least prestigious bowl Texas A&M has ever been to, right ? It's also the farthest away bowl they've ever gone to except the Aloha Bowl. This bowl was a punishment for A&M.

You do realize that outside of a couple of Independence Bowl appearances that were in easy driving distance, the Belk Bowl is the least prestigious bowl Texas A&M has ever been to, right ? It's also the farthest away bowl they've ever gone to except the Aloha Bowl. This bowl was a punishment for A&M.

Sort of like UGA getting left out of the Playoff is punishment for not winning enough games and not being a top 4 team in the country right? Sounds like A&M and UGA both needed to win more games this year.

Yuk yuk. Pretty sure A&M would have traveled well to the Sugar Bowl last year, even at 6-6 with an interim coach. I do feel bad for A&M winding up in a bowl against a team Wake beat though. If you State wins the Gator Bowl again, should we expect another parade ?

Back