• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think there is any influence from Richardson not wanting Plax for his arrest and off-the-field issues?

Think there is any influence from Richardson not wanting Plax for his arrest and off-the-field issues?

That probably didn't help...I'm not surprised the Panthers aren't interested. I would've been happy if we went after him, but the coaching staff is pretty high on LaFell these days so I have no problem seeing the young guns get most of the reps.

I like this new coaching staff, but I'm very skeptical of their complete reliance on Steve Smith. He was a bawse last year, but the wheels could fall off any day now, and that happens very suddenly for most great receivers. Tory Holt, Marvin Harrison, Ocho Cinco, they were all good/great one final season and irrelevant the next.

I like this new coaching staff, but I'm very skeptical of their complete reliance on Steve Smith. He was a bawse last year, but the wheels could fall off any day now, and that happens very suddenly for most great receivers. Tory Holt, Marvin Harrison, Ocho Cinco, they were all good/great one final season and irrelevant the next.

You could say the same about Plax, what's your point? We have decent young WRs, and drafted a WR/PR playmaker this year.

You could say the same about Plax, what's your point? We have decent young WRs, and drafted a WR/PR playmaker this year.

We don't have anyone with the apparent potential to take Steve's spot, and I would argue that our decent young receivers have only been decent in light of the defensive attention that Smith gets. None of them are playmakers in their own right, and thats too much pressure on the shoulders of a receiver who is on his way out. Our #2 receiver last season was a shitty journeyman. The #2 wont be much better this season, and could be worse.

Last edited:
What should they have done? Stars were not aligned this year. Blowing too much cap on a FA isn't great either. Hold out for value in the late 1st/2nd next year.

What should they have done? Stars were not aligned this year. Blowing too much cap on a FA isn't great either. Hold out for value in the late 1st/2nd next year.

Traded down for a player like Michael Floyd. Not taken a flyer on a junior college G in the 2nd round. I don't have all the ideas, but there are certainly moves that could have been made.

Last edited:
Panthers have no cap space after blowing tons of money on a 30 year old running back, a position in which the Panthers are well-stocked in.

For that reason, the team will be building through the draft and free agency.

link

Travelle Wharton’s cap charge goes from $7,562,882 to $1,862,882, with $1,862,882 in dead money left in 2013. Wharton is replaced in Carolina’s Top 51 by a player whose base salary is $540,000, so the Panthers have a net gain of $5.16 million in cap room and are now $8,383,625 under the cap.

We don't have anyone with the apparent potential to take Steve's spot, and I would argue that our decent young receivers have only been decent in light of the defensive attention that Smith gets. None of them are playmakers in their own right, and thats too much pressure on the shoulders of a receiver who is on his way out. Our #2 receiver last season was a shitty journeyman. The #2 wont be much better this season, and could be worse.

I don't know if this is true. I think it was clear to everyone that LaFell was the 2nd best WR by the end of the year plus Gettis is back. At this point you have to trust the inside knowledge of the coaches that know the personnel the best.

I don't know if this is true. I think it was clear to everyone that LaFell was the 2nd best WR by the end of the year plus Gettis is back. At this point you have to trust the inside knowledge of the coaches that know the personnel the best.

I'm going to pull like hell for them either way. I think an improved defense should take a lot of the pressure off Smitty as well, so things are still looking up in my book.

Nanee and Lafell were both catching 2 or 3 balls per game over the last four games, except for Lafell didn't catch any against Houston (maybe he sat out?). Lafell had a much higher yds/catch though.

I'm fine with the WR corps as it is for this season, but LaFell isn't that fast, he is more of your standard #2 possession receiver... so mdmh has a point that it seems Steve Smith's replacement is still not on the roster.

We should still be able to find a good one with the last pick in the first round in 2013, amirite?

Last edited:
OUuside of the "can't miss" WRs, drafting receivers can be pretty tricky business. Add in that the Panthers will be picking at the end of the first round for the forseeable future, we may need to look to free agency to land a stud to match with Cam.

I still have faith that Gettis will be great, but is he able to fully recover from that injury is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back