• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Duke's Mayo Bowl vs. Wisconsin Thread

Might give credit to Jim Leonhard for making adjustments.
The first three interceptions were thrown literally to a guy in a white helmet with a Big W on it. Defensive adjustments or not, I give more credit to the Wiscy defenders for catching the ball instead of dropping them like defenders often do. The picks were gifted. The fourth one was a nice undercut on the route. Still a crappy INT, but not as crappy.

I'll repeat my question. Is your QB, Kern, related to Rex Kern who was the QB of the undefeated 1968 Ohio State team. Might be his grandson or nephew.
No idea. It's not quite the Manning family.

Our offense is fine. Our coaching is fine. We had a quarterback who got up on the wrong side of the bed today. He just picked a bad day to have a nightmarish game.

Saying it's fine is sticking your head the ground, our offense needs to evolve a little bit. It doesn't have to be a full makeover, but it needs to evolve a little bit. I pretty convinced that we're never going to have a chance at competing with very good teams with a constant diet of the slow mesh stuff.

Yep this offense is vanilla as hell without a running threat like Newman. It worked with Wofford for a half a season because it was still relatively new but now that everyone has played it and must teams run some variation of it at times, it doesn’t fool anyone.

I agree this style of RPO Offense worked with Newman and could work with QBs with similar talents to his, but it’s going to be very hard to sell this style of offense to another QB at his talent level. The QBs that have a chance to play in the NFL don’t want to take the pounding from the running game that this offense requires of its QB.

Is Mooch coming in January? He and Mitch need to have a true competition with Sam.

FWIW, I was really hoping they would douse Chryst with mayonnaise. That would really make the bowl stand out as unique, plus it would actually become the Bukake Bowl that I've been making jokes about.

Out of everything that could have gone wrong today I think QB play was way down the list as far as I was concerned. I assumed the defense would be unable to get stops. Sam has even a mediocre day and we likely have a good chance to win.

Thank god this season is over. Here’s to watching UNC get embarrassed on national television in a few days.

Yep this offense is vanilla as hell without a running threat like Newman. It worked with Wofford for a half a season because it was still relatively new but now that everyone has played it and must teams run some variation of it at times, it doesn’t fool anyone.

This offense has fooled enough teams to make a bowl game the last few seasons with a defense that can't consistently stop high school programs.

What more could have Griffis done? He was out there a minute and a half and led us to a touchdown. Geez.

and missed a ton of throws and got bailed out on a few PIs that were not going to be caught

he's not good

hopefully he becomes good

I agree this style of RPO Offense worked with Newman and could work with QBs with similar talents to his, but it’s going to be very hard to sell this style of offense to another QB at his talent level. The QBs that have a chance to play in the NFL don’t want to take the pounding from the running game that this offense requires of its QB.

Might need to look at High School running back types or option style QB's from High School and see if you can coach them up in the passing game. The McCall kid at Coastal was an option QB in High School that rarely threw the ball I think.

Out of everything that could have gone wrong today I think QB play was way down the list as far as I was concerned. I assumed the defense would be unable to get stops. Sam has even a mediocre day and we likely have a good chance to win.

Thank god this season is over. Here’s to watching UNC get embarrassed on national television in a few days.

Our defense has struggled with dynamic, athletic teams who get playmakers in space. Wisconsin definitely wasn’t that and it makes sense that we were tested a bit less at the edges and our lack of speed wasn’t as much of an issue.

Saying it's fine is sticking your head the ground, our offense needs to evolve a little bit. It doesn't have to be a full makeover, but it needs to evolve a little bit. I pretty convinced that we're never going to have a chance at competing with very good teams with a constant diet of the slow mesh stuff.

Agree. We have not changed our offensive philosophy in 5 years. It the same plays, year after year. Its good enough to beat teams with average talent, but not developed enough to beat teams (1) that are well coached or (2) teams loaded with legit nfl talent

Might need to look at High School running back types or option style QB's from High School and see if you can coach them up in the passing game. The McCall kid at Coastal was an option QB in High School that rarely threw the ball I think.

McCall is exactly who I had in mind. He’s an example of QB that will be with a Program until he graduates.

Agree. We have not changed our offensive philosophy in 5 years. It the same plays, year after year. Its good enough to beat teams with average talent, but not developed enough to beat teams (1) that are well coached or (2) teams loaded with legit nfl talent

Yep. We can't compete with teams a tier above us. I'm not talking about Clemson tier. I'm talking about legitimately ranked teams. We may take a lead. We may have some good plays, but things fall apart we can't stay in it.

Yeah, Sam tossing 4 2nd half picks was probably at least 99 out of 100 possible reasons we'd lose today.

Well then scrap it, because I’m sick of watching our offensive playing call resemble an asshole teenager playing Madden. It’s the same three plays. Slant/cross, Vertical, or (slow) HB dive.

Last edited:
Back