• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

Also this may have come up on another thread but Massachusetts voted down ranked choice voting like 55-45%. What the holy fuck Massachusetts?

What was the messaging against it? I feel like ranked choice voting is probably the most effective democratic reform we can get passed in this polarized environment. With ranked choice Trump would've never become president and never won the Republican primary in 2016. In the early states he was winning with 25-30% and at that time seemed to have a ceiling and wasn't the 2nd choice of other voters. Now the republican party sold their soul and circled around him almost cult like, but ranked choice would help a lot.

i don't think juice is making a purity argument

Also this may have come up on another thread but Massachusetts voted down ranked choice voting like 55-45%. What the holy fuck Massachusetts?

I assume that it's not very popular with more traditional and centrist democrat/republican voters as it encourages people to vote for the third party option that better represents them. I haven't seen breakdowns of the vote, but I imagine it went down well in the Boston area and Western Mass and failed most everywhere else.

Probably better for the chat thread. But there are plenty of progressive ideas that are both good policy and extremely popular. Run on those instead of the unpopular ones *shrug*

"Black people getting killed, can you improve your messaging please"

While this should be enough, it isn't. White people in their privilege aren't directly affected by this. They are more scared of losing their privileged lives or paying an extra $100 in taxes. Republican messaging is fear mongering on issues that directly affect them. Dems must appeal to the selfishness.

Why not? Defund isn't even accurate, it is a refunding not a defunding right? Im a fucking liberal voter in favor of all those ideas but you don't believe my ideology is pure because of a different name for the same thing?

because a lot of people very much want at the very least to defund the police

I don't think we simply have a name problem here

Biden doesn’t want to defund the police! It’s almost as if abolitionist organizers care about the language they use!

You don't want to defund them either. That would mean no money for a police force. Is that what you support? Black people in the inner city don't even want that.

What was the messaging against it? I feel like ranked choice voting is probably the most effective democratic reform we can get passed in this polarized environment. With ranked choice Trump would've never become president and never won the Republican primary in 2016. In the early states he was winning with 25-30% and at that time seemed to have a ceiling and wasn't the 2nd choice of other voters. Now the republican party sold their soul and circled around him almost cult like, but ranked choice would help a lot.

There was no real messaging against it other than "it's confusing." The pro side spent over $8 million and the against side spent $2,000. So, lol.

Probably better for the chat thread. But there are plenty of progressive ideas that are both good policy and extremely popular. Run on those instead of the unpopular ones *shrug*

Yes..and when the popular ones start working you can make inroads on "unpopular" ones.

wait, you guys want to not have funding for a police force? So no police anywhere? That was not my understanding of the movement at all

You don't want to defund them either. That would mean no money for a police force. Is that what you support? Black people in the inner city don't even want that.

I know quite a few black people in Chicago that do

I know quite a few black people in Chicago that want to expand the police presence in their neighborhood

I agree it's not all in the naming. I also think (regardless of your personal beliefs or anybody else on here who is an abolitionist) that you'd admit that "at the very least" wanting "to defund the police" isn't one of the big ideas that, as a mainstream platform for the Democrats, would have increased the likelihood that Biden wins this election. Could it have helped in some select House or Senate races? I'd argue no but I think there's more of an argument there in some specific states at least.

It may not be as catchy as "defund the police" but "reallocate some portions of police funding to social workers and specially trained mental health professionals" is probably a better broad policy position that could play well with the majority of Democrats.

Help me out with Arizona. This link is saying "Trump is averaging 58.5%" and "Trump needs 57.55%."

Should we be worried?

It's moot because Biden will likely win PA and that would put him over 270.

idk seems like democratic politics is quite literally eliding the voice of masses in the streets

i just don't think that should be ignored

It may not be as catchy as "defund the police" but "reallocate some portions of police funding to social workers and specially trained mental health professionals" is probably a better broad policy position that could play well with the majority of Democrats.

"Community reinvestment"

Back