• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

bell_wank_gif.gif

There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling. It has, after all, been four seasons since he won an NCAA Tournament game. Personally, I think Shaka would be a home run, even if others see it only as a sharp double off the wall.

Wait, what?

If Smart's a double, what the shit is a home run? And if he's being told to go after this mythical home run, what the shit is he being told to go after?

That is such a weird paragraph.

"There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling. It has, after all, been four seasons since he won an NCAA Tournament game. Personally, I think Shaka would be a home run, even if others see it only as a sharp double off the wall."

Who the fuck are these folks ? and what the hell are they on ?

Wait, what?

If Smart's a double, what the shit is a home run? And if he's being told to go after this mythical home run, what the shit is he being told to go after?

That is such a weird paragraph.

I said around post 3,000 that it's going to be popovich. Maybe Phil Jackson.

I mean, better coaches than Shaka Smart exist in basketball, but none that should realistically be in play. If those types of coaches are in play, it's about to be a whole different ballgame.

I mean, better coaches than Shaka Smart exist in basketball, but none that should realistically be in play. If those types of coaches are in play, it's about to be a whole different ballgame.

Taking into account age, I really don't think there are many.

oh snap an actual piece of information kinda sorta!

g60018g6865.gif

"There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling. It has, after all, been four seasons since he won an NCAA Tournament game. Personally, I think Shaka would be a home run, even if others see it only as a sharp double off the wall."

Who the fuck are these folks ? and what the hell are they on ?

Does. Not. Compute.

"The really good teams of college basketball, the kind Wake was during the days of Dave Odom and Skip Prosser, don't consider any home victory an upset."

THIS.

The rest of the column is strange.

--------------
The home venue, Joel Coliseum, is probably somewhat too large for Wake's purposes and needs extensive renovation.

Basically a new facility.

Whoever is the next coach has a roster problem, in that there's a bottleneck of eight sophomores-turning-juniors passing through the program that will tie up efforts to bring in fresh, upgraded talent.

Lots of scholarships to offer to current sophomores and juniors.

Whoever is the next coach is going to be recruiting to a school where players are required to go to class and get their work done. And we're not talking about dummy classes and 148-word final papers marked A-minus.

Wake is ahead of the (hopefully) inevitable reforms.

Whoever is the next coach is going to be thrown into the shark tank of the expanded ACC and find themselves going nose to nose with four Hall-of-Fame coaches (Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams and Rick Pitino), two others (Leonard Hamilton and Jim Larrananga) who were good enough to win ACC titles at such remote locales as Florida State and Miami and yet another (Tony Bennett) who might be the hottest coach in college basketball as I write this.

---------------

All of these are advantages.

Da fuq? He won last year. I know people hate when I critique Dan, but he should have fact checked this.

Part of me thinks people are tempering expectations or he's hearing from the people who want another white guy in his late 40s/50s.

Last edited:
Shaka is easily a HR 4-RBIs, but if you're nervous we could just take it slow and stop at HR 3-RBIs.

I guess. So, in summary:

1.) The sources that our beat writer has close to the search say that Wellman is swinging for the fences.
2.) Those same sources don't consider Shaka Smart to be swinging for the fences.
3.) ???
4.) SnD jacks off in public.

Back