• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Well it does square with the "settling" on shaka stuff we have been hearing and i can easily see how ron and some BOT types could get enamored with the harvard thing. Plus the alleged source is way up there .... as in where does the football team go at halftime?

If Amaker was Chairman Ron's shooting for the stars guy, and Shaka was his settling guy, someone needs to go assassinate Chairman Ron forthwith.

If Amaker was Chairman Ron's shooting for the stars guy, and Shaka was his settling guy, someone needs to go assassinate Chairman Ron forthwith.

Exactly what I was thinking. No way is Amaker a home run! Maybe a Fielder's choice. But with all the good coaches out there, to think RW though Amaker was the best he could get is just beyond the pale

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Waiting on Shaka

If he takes it or not no one knows but it at least appears that Shaka is considering our offer more than any other that had been made to him up till now...no?

Ron Wellman, for all his faults, does not consider Tommy Amaker a better coach than Shaka Smart. Come on, guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If he takes it or not no one knows but it at least appears that Shaka is considering our offer more than any other that had been made to him up till now...no?

Assuming what we've heard so far is all correct, yes, that's a fair statement.

Remember he thought Bzzz was a college level basketball coach. Hard to say what RW sees

Chillax. I think we all know Shaka was No. 1 on his list. That's been written about by different people in different contexts.

Agreed the Amaker story is so ludicrous from a Wake perspective but try and see this from the Harvard or BC perspective. BC might have been a good fit for Amaker but it's a pretty rough ACC situation without the successful on court history or historical recruiting pull in the ACC regions. If I had to bet I would say BC goes with Mike Hopkins which gives you an idea of the type of candidate they have a realistic chance at getting or in other wordsAmaker was in their tier one probably their top choice. Harvard gets the " my heart is here at harvard.blah blah.. " news conference and the only person who loses in the theoretical court ship is a school with much higher expectations who was may or may not have been mildly interested in Amaker as a fallback , Wake.

Time to close the deal on our number one SHAKA.

Agreed the Amaker story is so ludicrous from a Wake perspective but try and see this from the Harvard or BC perspective. BC might have been a good fit for Amaker but it's a pretty rough ACC situation without the successful on court history or historical recruiting pull in the ACC regions. If I had to bet I would say BC goes with Mike Hopkins which gives you an idea of the type of candidate they have a realistic chance at getting or in other wordsAmaker was in their tier one probably their top choice. Harvard gets the " my heart is here at harvard.blah blah.. " news conference and the only person who loses in the theoretical court ship is a school with much higher expectations who was may or may not have been mildly interested in Amaker as a fallback , Wake.

Time to close the deal on our number one SHAKA.

We didn't lose anything. There are quite a few names I think the WF fanbase would want between Shaka and Amaker.

We didn't lose anything. There are quite a few names I think the WF fanbase would want between Shaka and Amaker.

As soon as i read it again i saw "lose" and thought it sounded wrong. I personally never wanted Amaker anyway no loss in my eyes.

We did not lose out on Amaker. He found out that he was at best fifth or sixth, or perhaps even lower, on our list, and didn't want to wait around for leftovers.

I know a guy pretty well connected at Marquette and he says they are hotly pursuing Tony Bennett at almost 4mil per year. I find that one hard to believe but he seems convinced.

I know a guy pretty well connected at Marquette and he says they are hotly pursuing Tony Bennett at almost 4mil per year. I find that one hard to believe but he seems convinced.

Marquette fans really don't seem to grasp the idea of the football conferences getting loads and loads of additional cash. UVA will almost certainly give Bennett a raise and extension for what he's meant to their basketball program. The only pie in the sky hope they can be clinging to is he's from Green Bay. Just don't see it at all.

Back