• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Of course this is the move.

Taking a big risk right now holds the potential to effectively murder our basketball program, which is really not a place we want to be in the expansion era and on the cusp of a massive capital campaign.

My point is, I don't think Mack is so safe and assured of real excitement being brought back into the program that he should be listed ahead of a high reward potential guy like Manning.

My list:

1a: Marshall
1b: Shaka
3. Howland
4a: Archie
4b: Mack

If we end up any of those 5, and I will be pretty amped. All of those coaches have had some proven success. Archie is the biggest gamble, but I have spent a good amount of time with his brother, and I have to imagine that Archie has a lot of similarities. Would sort of be buying Archie based on Sean, but I would be willing to take that gamble.
Good list. But I'd prefer Masiello at 4b.

I have read some articles and blogs regarding major administrative and budgetary issues at Cal, both in the AD and the university itself. If money is no object for us, I don't think Cal would be able to come close to what we can offer.

West Coast college sports are way different than the rest of the country. Comparatively, Cal alums don't really care that much about sports.

i found this humerous: if you follow the #leanin tag from Maya's post, you'll get this:

East Side Staffing ‏@EastSideStaff 14m
Not leaving a job because you feel guilty? Put guilt aside and go after what you want. Your boss could quit tomorrow! #leanin

I have read some articles and blogs regarding major administrative and budgetary issues at Cal, both in the AD and the university itself. If money is no object for us, I don't think Cal would be able to come close to what we can offer.

I would like to RJ to weigh in on this (no, seriously), but I sort of am down on all California collegiate basketball jobs generally. Maybe it's the ridiculously vast and dispersed geography of the state, the budgetary issues pertaining to the state schools, the "pro sports" focus of the LA and SF markets, and the apparent historical trend that major collegiate success for the big CA schools seem to end up embroiled in controversy (USC with sanctions and R. Bush, UCLA with decades of dormancy and various spouts of cheating by J. Harrick and/or recruiting issues with B. Howland), and I just don't love the CA jobs.

Edited to say all of the above could simply reflect my (admitted) East Coast bias. I'd also reiterate the point that BDZ makes above in that, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like Californians care nearly as much about as college sports as people do in the Southeast / Mid-Atlantic. #Analysis

you can't have a safe pick after the last four years of absolute shit we've endured. you should have done "safe" four years ago.

just my opinion

My point is, I don't think Mack is so safe and assured of real excitement being brought back into the program that he should be listed ahead of a high reward potential guy like Manning.

Agree. Mack would be the floor in terms of hires. Manning is stuck somewhere under the floorboards.

At this point how would we even know if Shaka has said no.

you can't have a safe pick after the last four years of absolute shit we've endured. you should have done "safe" four years ago.

A safe pick is almost required in this case. Things are extremely dire at this point. Staring down a decade of futility in basketball, which again is the single most important thing to Wake Forest, is not where we want to be. We had a chance to take a risk after Dino and it blew up in our face. Risk is off the table now.

Because everyone who fancies themselves an "insider" will rush to get the info out first. We will know when a dozen posters claim the same thing within minutes of each other.

i found this humerous: if you follow the #leanin tag from Maya's post, you'll get this:

East Side Staffing ‏@EastSideStaff 14m
Not leaving a job because you feel guilty? Put guilt aside and go after what you want. Your boss could quit tomorrow! #leanin

Sounds like a modern day Ayn Rand kind of thing.

Honestly? Probably some combination of (a) vague updates from posters whose handles are written in green, and (b) a tweet tomorrow morning from Goodman reporting that we've engaged Ben Howland in "discussions."

I would like to RJ to weigh in on this (no, seriously), but I sort of am down on all California collegiate basketball jobs generally. Maybe it's the ridiculously vast and dispersed geography of the state, the budgetary issues pertaining to the state schools, the "pro sports" focus of the LA and SF markets, and the apparent historical trend that major collegiate success for the big CA schools seem to end up embroiled in controversy (USC with sanctions and R. Bush, UCLA with decades of dormancy and various spouts of cheating by J. Harrick and/or recruiting issues with B. Howland), and I just don't love the CA jobs.

Edited to say all of the above could simply reflect my (admitted) East Coast bias. I'd also reiterate the point that BDZ makes above in that, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like Californians care nearly as much about as college sports as people do in the Southeast / Mid-Atlantic. #Analysis

College identity in general doesn't mean a whole lot on the West Coast. Nobody gives a shit where you went to school out here.

West Coast sports fans are huge frontrunners, too.

I think one big outlier is Stanford, which leverages its athletics much like Duke does, only they don't face the same sort of competition among peers like they do at Duke.

Back