• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Someone with a Northwestern/Harvard background and strong ral world gets that. The LOL is at you....

RJ, I respectfully disagree. In the world of academia, you do not just gift someone a professorship that way.

You're out of your element, Townie. You really are.

Not really. We disagree about journalism, mostly in jest, but your perception about Medill and its standing among both academics and journalists is really an odd loggerheads. I did work in grad admissions for years.

Ron Wellman spotted in West Palm Beach this weekend:

metal_detecting_2870.jpg

I think some people are thinking there is no more consideration. A "no" has been given. The decision isn't "dragging out", just making it public. We know our AD is going to be tight-lipped. They don't want a "no" to leak out. From Shaka's side, they are not saying anything because he isn't changing anything. The wake offer isn't public and there was a report he already reassured players and recruits. VCU doesn't want to feel they have to have a press release for every job opening that he privately declines.
I have no info, just explaining that a delay in an announcement doesn't mean Shaka is still deciding.

2 Things 1) Wake not wanting a "no" to leakout is just dumb pr. If your going for Shaka leaking he said no and is staying is needed to reset expectations. 2) VCU may want to think they don't have to respond to this every year but Shaka is a rockstar who is severely underpaid. The yearly circus should be met with a public denial or resetting of his contract to what it should be which they can't do.

Yo, I know I'm super late to this but.... late night drunk food at Wake these days is Subway??

is the english department really relevant? i mean i understand having spanish, german, italian, etc. since every student should learn a foreign language, but most freshman already know english before getting to campus. doesn't seem like it would hurt anyone to let shaka's wife teach a couple classes.

I think some people are thinking there is no more consideration. A "no" has been given. The decision isn't "dragging out", just making it public. We know our AD is going to be tight-lipped. They don't want a "no" to leak out. From Shaka's side, they are not saying anything because he isn't changing anything. The wake offer isn't public and there was a report he already reassured players and recruits. VCU doesn't want to feel they have to have a press release for every job opening that he privately declines.
I have no info, just explaining that a delay in an announcement doesn't mean Shaka is still deciding.

I get this on the VCU side of things, but why would Wake continue to let the fans speculate? That's a tremendously misguided approach unless we deliver Marshall or someone of that caliber. If you string along fans with the dream of Shaka any hire is going to be less than. That doesn't seem like a smart way to unify the base.

I'm all for turning Maya Smart into a villain, because message boards need villains, but the professorship stuff is mega #dense. Also wouldn't be surprised if this kind of leak is the AD spin to insulate it from the fans learning that we straight up struck out on Shaka. "We would've had him, but it's his wife's fault. Nothing we could do."

But aren't we hearing this stuff from Shaka's side?

Seriously guys, the English department hasn't done much for us up to this point. Who cares?

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. This is really 515 pages of complete conjecture.

There is no way that she is asking for a professorship, and that is what killed it. It is damn hard to get a professorship at any decent school, much less a T25 school, and especially without a PhD or other serious professional accomplishments in the field (See: Wayne King: Pulitzer Prize Recipient, 2 additional Pulitzer nominations, New York Times). She doesn't strike me as someone who would want to come in and want special treatment. That article in Essence WAS the fucking bomb, tho.

I think we have reached a stage where people are trying to use the boards as a source for #scoops among their friends, and the info is finding it's way back to the boards. It's a giant circle of #insider bullshit.

Since nothing else of substance is being discussed, I'd actually like you to go more in-depth on journalism schools/Northwestern.

Sure. J-School is where you go to get into journalism when you can't hack it straight out of undergrad, and that carries a stigma. Sadly the schools' enrollments have inversely mirrored contraction in the industry. They've become factories to prepare people for jobs that don't exist anymore. Places like Medill and CSJ are great institutions that will educate you quite well, but they're not that difficult to get into, and they don't really carry much weight or prestige in the industry because most media companies are run by people who look down on master's in journalism. This doesn't hold for every single case for every single J-School grad, but that's the general understanding even of the top master's programs.

Furthermore, I can name 15-20 personal friends with Medill degrees. I've taught students who have gone on to Medill and CSJ. I've worked with them as colleagues and been their supervisors at work.

Bottom line: Medill is a cool place where you'll get a great education and possibly get your foot in the door or broaden your career prospects. But it's not that prestigious in the industry, and you've got a better chance of becoming a "writer-at-large" than anything else.

Back