• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Wake Forest has significant interest in Tulsa coach Danny Manning, sources told ESPN.com.

It's still unclear where the former Kansas star, who went to the NCAA tournament in just his second season as the coach of the Golden Hurricane, sits on Wake athletic director Ron Wellman's wish list. However, one source close to the process said that Manning has a legitimate shot to land the job.

Manning is in the equation to replace Jeff [Redacted], who was forced to resign earlier in the month after four forgettable seasons. [Redacted] was 51-76 overall and 17-51 in ACC play.

Manning, 47, starred at Kansas and was the No. 1 overall pick of the 1988 NBA draft. He played 15 seasons in the league, and then joined Bill Self's staff at Kansas, where he was an assistant from 2006 to 2012.

Manning was hired by Tulsa in 2012 and led the Golden Hurricane to a 17-16 mark and an appearance in the CBI despite losing his top two players, Jordan Clarkson and Eric McClellan, to transfers.

Tulsa finished 21-13 this season and tied for first in Conference USA with a 13-3 mark. The Golden Hurricane lost to UCLA in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

1206127655_Strikeout.gif

Fold it all up. The guy's been a head coach for 2 years for fuck's sake.

I irrationally like Manning more than the other 2nd/3rd tier candidates, though I'd prefer someone with a higher floor.

Besides Russel Turner, who among the rumored candidates would be a worse hire than Danny Manning?

I would only be ok with Danny manning if the buyout is ridiculously high. We can't go with a high risk high reward candidate if we risk losing all that reward if a Kansas calls.

Wow, nobody to blame but himself. He fucked up so bad 4 yrs ago that throwing big dollars around still gets the door slammed in his face. Watch him spin Manning as who he wanted all along

I would only be ok with Danny manning if the buyout is ridiculously high. We can't go with a high risk high reward candidate if we risk losing all that reward if a Kansas calls.

You realize that means it costs a shitload to fire him then right?

I'm going to interpret this post as if it were meant to be funny. That's pretty funny.

Back