• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

3KqMoRi.gif

If they hire Manning in the next day or two the PR person who advises Wellman on these things should resign. You don't swing for the fences get no public denials and then settle on Manning.

Disgusting

Can we just hire Colby from jeopardy tonight and be done with it. He's funny to look at and impossible to hate. It would bring us together.

Yea. First, anything close to $3 million for Shaka is pretty much a doubling of his current salary. Again, he makes around $1.5 million now, at VC fucking U. If he won't accept literally double that to come coach Wake Forest in the ACC, then maybe we should start asking ourselves whether it's worth pumping up the offer any further than we already have.

Second, to be perfectly frank, Shaka at over $3 million is kind of insane. Look, I want him here too and would eRoll the quad the minute it was announced, but you're talking about giving Izzo / Donovan / Cal / K-type money to a dude who's never coached in a high-major conference, runs a system that may or may not translate successfully to this level, and just lost to Stephen F. Austin. At some point, there's got to be a better way to spend our big donors' money.

The salary isn't biggest challenge with competing with Shaka's contract at VCU; it's the length. His deal, signed last year, runs through 2028. If the $1.5 MM is true (I think that includes all performance kickers), we would need to guarantee the reported $3 MM for almost 7 years to make it comparable.

The salary isn't biggest challenge with competing with Shaka's contract at VCU; it's the length. His deal, signed last year, runs through 2028. If the $1.5 MM is true (I think that includes all performance kickers), we would need to guarantee the reported $3 MM for almost 7 years to make it comparable.

im ok with that

I think his deal runs through 2023, not 2028. And there's no guaranty he won't get canned before 2028. That's 14 years away.

I don't know if Manning is an elite recruiter. I wouldn't give him any more or less credit for all the studs that came through KU while he was an assistant as would give Dino for the studs Skip brought in at the end.

I think he could be. Again roll of the old dice. He's got a cool story that is definitely exploitable. I would hope he does better though than Dino did with that list is all I was saying, even if there were a lot of highly rated guys on there.

I'm with you on this. I like Manning-- I think that's pretty well-documented here-- but he'd be way down my list. I'm sure he'd do an okay job here (and I'd like some what the people who say [Redacted] had a better resume are smoking).

It's just with what we heard over the weekend, he's a pretty big letdown.

You clearly have no fucking clue how contracts work.

Anyone who wanted john pelphrey in 2002 should shut up about manning

Manning would be a great hire.

This is what we know about Danny Manning as a head coach (from the other thread):

Record: 21-13 in 2013-2014
-Good: Tulsa went 4-1 against the upper half of their conference (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Middle Tennessee State) and won their conference tournament.
-Bad: They lost every game of substance outside of their conference: Wichita State by 23, Creighton by 10, TCU by 7 and 12, Green Bay by 12, Oklahoma by 10, Maryland by 11, and UCLA by 17
-Meh: #72 kenpom and finished fourth in a really weak Conference USA.

also was 17-16 in 2012-2013, but he was coaching someone else's team and that team sucked. Beat TCU and Houston (twice), but lost to everyone else and by a lot.

Recruiting:
Overall: 6 players (1 consensus 3-star, 1 mixed 3-star, 1 mixed 2-star, and 3 UR across the board)
Good: Mitchell Wilbekin (3-star Scout, 3-star Rivals, 2-star ESPN)
Solid: Micah Littlejohn (UR Scout, 3-star Rivals, UR ESPN)

ETA: Sorry iat - I had to...

This is what we know about Danny Manning as a head coach (from the other thread):

Record: 21-13 in 2013-2014
-Good: Tulsa went 4-1 against the upper half of their conference (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Middle Tennessee State) and won their conference tournament.
-Bad: They lost every game of substance outside of their conference: Wichita State by 23, Creighton by 10, TCU by 7 and 12, Green Bay by 12, Oklahoma by 10, Maryland by 11, and UCLA by 17
-Meh: #72 kenpom and finished fourth in a really weak Conference USA.

also was 17-16 in 2012-2013, but he was coaching someone else's team and that team sucked. Beat TCU and Houston (twice), but lost to everyone else and by a lot.

Recruiting:
Overall: 6 players (1 consensus 3-star, 1 mixed 3-star, 1 mixed 2-star, and 3 UR across the board)
Good: Mitchell Wilbekin (3-star Scout, 3-star Rivals, 2-star ESPN)
Solid: Micah Littlejohn (UR Scout, 3-star Rivals, UR ESPN)

ETA: Sorry iat - I had to...

Uhhh, that's bad.

Me if we hire Shaka: Jump up and down, brag on twitter, buy season tickets, smile for the rest of 2014.

Me if we hire Manning: Plan what I'm bringing for the Game of Thrones premier party.

everyone is freaking out about Manning but honestly the question we shoudl be asking is CAN MANNING RECRUIT and more importantly, can he recruit top level talent to Wake??......

Manning certainly has been around some great coaches for a number of years, so I have to believe that he understands how to recruit big-time talent .....has done a nice job at Tulsa in a short amount of time....forget Xs and Os, you hire a good assistant for that, again the key for me CAN HE RECRUIT top talent to Wake?

He certainly has an impressive resume both from his playing days as well as his rise the the college ranks.......

he isn't my #1 choice but i can get on board

In his 2nd year rebuilding Tulsa with a lot of new minutes being filled when he got there he did better than 4 years of [Redacted] rebuilding Wake. Not all his recruiting obvi. I don't think he would be near Bz bad, which is as low of a bar as you can get.

Back