• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Oh well who was I kidding.
lucy.jpg

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Good one!

Before I even type this, I know people are going to say 1) there's that LOWF attitude and 2) you never post, who are you to comment. But here goes anyway:

While I too would love Shaka or Marshall, there is nothing in Wake Forest's past that should get people TRULY optimistic over making such a hire.

For those of you too young to remember, me not included, there was a similar attitude at the time of Bob Staak's departure (I had the privilege of watching that shit show while at Wake) - minus the energy of the internet and fan boards. At that time, the Shaka/Marshall dream equivalent was Gary Williams - it didn't end well - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...jYdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uaUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6862,6050112 - this article makes it sound nice, the bottom line was he made it pretty clear Wake was beneath him and sure enough 8 months later he had no problem dealing with the "pressure" that came with getting the Ohio State job - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...gMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yaYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5077,3515551. BTW, for $75K per year.

In contrast we ended up with Dave Odom, a guy who had most recently been an ass't at UVA for 7 years and before that head coach at ECU, of all places, for 3 years, the last 2 of which ended with losing records. Odom delivered some very good years - and I know, he had Duncan, Childress, and Rogers, but any coach we hire should recruit better than Bzz.

Eventually Odom left and we got Skip. Great in many ways, but his last 3 years at Xavier were an NCAA first round exit and two NIT appearances - not exactly an "on fire" candidate. That too worked out rather well.

Wake simply is not, as much as some want to think otherwise, Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Syracuse, Louisville, or Michigan St. We're not the dream school of the hottest candidate out there.

So we can debate all night about Shaka/Marshall, but the more likely scenario is Mack or Manning or White - despite statements by our AD or whomever about "swinging for the fences". And, the odds are any of these three will work out just fine - like Skip and Odom did - our last hire was just incredibly poor in all respects, from Day 1 and we need to move on. Personally I'd like Mack - eight 4-star recruits in the last 4 years going up against some tough competition in the Midwest - Crean, Matta, Izzo etc etc. And, 4 NCAA appearances in 5 years, including two Sweet Sixteen's both times including upsets of higher ranked teams (something Wake has never been good at)

While your point might be correct, your facts are wrong. Wake was turned down by Williams after Tacy resigned, not to replace Staak. He took over at Ohio State the following season. I don't recall the other coaches who were in the mix when we hired Odom in 1989, but he had ties to Wake and was well respected in the ACC. Gary Williams was hired at Maryland the same season Odom started at Wake.

Has anyone pointed at that hoopla has been posting about a "category 5" and how a "storm is coming" all week, and Tulsa's mascot is the golden hurricanes?

That was one of the first 'jokes', albeit 8,000 posts ago.

My, how this thread has devolved.

:panda:

Again, he'd be down my list, but he wouldn't be an absolutely miserable hire. I'd give him the C+ that someone else suggested. Problem is, we need someone a full grade higher.

That was me. A more complete list is below, not necessarily based on how I think they'd do here (I'd much rather have Archie than Barnes), but how good of a hire it would be based on perception, resume, etc.

A+: Shaka, Marshall, Wright
A: Howland (suck it, Appetite!)
A-: Buzz Williams, Rick Barnes
B+: Archie
B: Mack, Amaker
B-: White, Masiello (pre-scandal, obvs)
C+: Manning
C: Turner, Mooney

I'm willing to take suggestions from the very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very small number of posters on this thread whose opinions I respect.

Last edited:
I could see this. This search has been absolutely airtight. I believe nothing until someone is standing at the podium.

And then you're gonna say "I can't believe we hired this f*****g bozo"......:eek:

That was me. A more complete list is below, not necessarily based on how I think they'd do here (I'd much rather have Archie than Barnes), but how good of a hire it would be based on perception, resume, etc.

A+: Shaka, Marshall, Wright, Biff Tannen
B-: White, Masiello

I'm willing to take suggestions from the very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very small number of posters on this thread whose opinions I respect.

Fixed

Jesus Christ man. My point is that the dude hasn't done enough either coaching or recruiting to warrant a look and you're reverting back to your Lobo defense mode to prove he's either not as bad as it looks or is capable of coaching at Wake - I'm not sure which exactly but damn. Dudes team is not that great, dude hasn't recruited that well, and only two players on his team had better stats in year two than in year one.

He is a risk and a tier C choice. But he could potentially be a really good coach.

You stated that you would rather have Levelle Moton (entire playing and coaching career at NCCU) or some dude that just lied about graduating from college.

He is a risk but he could very well be capable of coaching at Wake. Pretty much every aspect of his playing and coaching career has been a success.

Masiello? LOL. That guy's next job is at the BK Lounge.

Masiello always looked like a shady Pitino disciple to me. It took about 5 minutes in major college basketball to confirm that.

Back