• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Apetit you really think Manning is going to turn us down because of that quote in the Tulsa paper? Or something else?

Just that article. Doesn't seem like something you'd do if actually wanted the job. But exactly like something you'd do if you wanted a raise. As Lenin said, you look for the person who will benefit.

ALSO, we should revisit my idea about hiring the Inside the NBA TNT crew

Jake ‏@BloggerSoDear 8m
I think I could talk myself into Manning if I had to. Don't think he should be a tier 1 or 2 candidate though.

Goddammit this is not a"talk myself into it" kind of hire. I want public denials from tier 1 or tier 2 before i settle on this depressing lowf mentality.

I think Ron has a contract in his desk signed sealed and delivered and this is just he taking out his pound of flesh on the maple fridge boys. He will casually announce at the press conference that details were finalized on Monday or Tuesday - and he'll say it like that, very casually as if he doesn't honestly remember whether it was Monday or Tuesday because since then he has been doing a few spa days in Asheville and had his balls waxed by a Polish masseuse named Pshemek. He'll then smile a little bit and introduce either Jay Wright, Shaka, or Howland, and once the focus is on the coach at the podium, he'll mouth almost to himself, "fuck you, fuck you all. And you're welcome douchebags."

As long as he announces any of those names (preferably Shaka), I'd be okay with this.

I think its time to get creative if this theory is correct. We've joked about it, but why not put out feelers to NBA guys like Karl, Hollins, D'Antoni, etc. (NOT VDN OR FRATELLO though). I feel like you have to start preparing for your last resort.

I am totally down with that. I mean Larry Krystkowiak was a total donk NBA coach but he's a bawse now. I actually do think D'Antoni would be pretty awesome.

The absolute dearth of any smoke whatsoever for Howland -- not just at Wake, but at Marquette -- leads me to believe there's something going on with him that we just may not know.

There was a D'Antoni hader somewhere here, but I actually think he'd crush on the college level. Would be a super fun style of bball to watch. If Shelton can shoot, we'd have a PG ready to go.

JUST SAYING.

With our basketball program in shambles after the last 4 years of incompetence and arrogance out of the AD, all I can see in my head is a broken Ronald being berated by John Goodman yelling, "YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS, RON? YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK A FAN BASE IN THE ASS. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, RON."

Last edited:
Very curious about Howland's situation. Babydeac stated that Wellman liked him. He obviously isn't being distracted by other job offers. Did RW meet w/ him & decide this guy is a f'in asshole? Did Howland walk in and say I want that $3 mill you offered Smart? Does Howland think WF is a dead end & he won't be able to succeed there? This is the one that doesn't compute as someone who wants back in will rather sit on the couch than run a tobacco road ACC program. ??

Or we found out that some of the SI stuff had legs and that Howland burned bridges with CA HS & AAU guys, and that he didn't have a plan for bringing in a staff that would help him get it done here.

Why not just go with Wes at this point and have him hire Odom as his head assistant for a couple of years?

It was reported that Shaka was the target of Marquette (and all but hired). Then there were multiple reports that he turned Marquette down. It has been widely reported that Shaka is Wake's target. Has anyone seen the parallel reports about him turning Wake down anywhere? I haven't, and the Google machine didn't find any.

There may be some ongoing negotiations about stuff that isn't directly money. If it is, it may involve other people. Wellman likes to keep these hires very quiet. Doing that with other people may take more doing, and hence the slow pace.

Shaka has to decide if he wants to leave VCU. That may not be easy. He also has to decide if he wants to come to Wake. The two decisions are separate, but related.

There was a D'Antoni hader somewhere here, but I actually think he'd crush on the college level. Would be a super fun style of bball to watch. If Shelton can shoot, we'd have a PG ready to go.

JUST SAYING.

We don't need another coach whose teams don't play defense.

You don't hire Jay Wright if you're looking at Danny Manning. Time to start lowering expectations folks.

It was reported that Shaka was the target of Marquette (and all but hired). Then there were multiple reports that he turned Marquette down. It has been widely reported that Shaka is Wake's target. Has anyone seen the parallel reports about him turning Wake down anywhere? I haven't, and the Google machine didn't find any.

There may be some ongoing negotiations about stuff that isn't directly money. If it is, it may involve other people. Wellman likes to keep these hires very quiet. Doing that with other people may take more doing, and hence the slow pace.

Shaka has to decide if he wants to leave VCU. That may not be easy. He also has to decide if he wants to come to Wake. The two decisions are separate, but related.
That's just it, though. It hasn't been "widely reported" that Wake ever formally offered Shaka or that the parties were in any actual discussions; only the ACCSports.com article and the Goodman report from a week ago Sunday (or whenever) stating that he was a "target." There were reports and tweets from sports bloggers, reporters, and even the local Milwaukee FOX station regarding Marquette's negotiations with (and possible hiring of) Smart, including reports of a scheduled press conference complete with date and time.

There hasn't been anywhere close to that kind of public "information" concerning Wake's pursuit of him. The most we've gotten is a few posts from anonymous message board accounts whose names are written in green stating that we offered him "Tuesday night or Wednesday morning." That's really nothing like the MU fiasco.

Let it go. The Shaka dream is dead. We haven't gotten publicly denied because we aren't even worthy of that.

https://www.accsports.com/articles/manning-a-candidate-for-wake-forest-job

"Where He Stands: Just because Manning was contacted doesn’t mean he’s a top candidate for the job. We know Shaka Smart is the No. 1 target, and he’s yet to officially say no. Until Smart does that, Wake Forest won’t proceed with anyone else. With Ben Howland not getting the Marquette job, it’s safe to assume that he’s higher on the radar than Manning, too. It would be hard to imagine Xavier’s Chris Mack being a lower priority than Manning. Archie Miller at Dayton is another coach who Wake Forest will likely at least try to get in touch with. As it stands right now, it appears that the contact with Manning is more about laying some groundwork rather than entering serious negotiations."

This makes me a little more comfortable. Calm and Rational breakdown of why Manning would be an asinine hire in the the 48 hours.

We will get a good basketball coah

Back