• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Manning is without a doubt a vastly better hire than [Redacted].

There are obvious question marks though. It is a high risk hire.

I would agree with you if they weren't still dragging his name through the mud last month with the "arrests record" of the players that [Redacted] inherited.

If he is still doing it this time next year without anymore mud slinging by Wake, then I'll agree with you at that point.

Ok, I missed that. It's fair but he shouldn't affect our next coaching search (hopefully way down the road!)

Wake can compete for titles. Wake WILL compete for titles, with Manning, or the next guy, or some guy after that. The irony is, it's the "another bad coach will destroy us forever!!!!!!!" crowd that are LOWF. It implies that our future solely relies on any one particular coaching hire. How much more LOWF can you get? Personally I think Wake is a much stronger program than that. We'll be fine.
I made that point yesterday and was told I didn't know what LOWF really meant.

If he snubbed Howland it would truly be a mistake. If we're not getting a star (Shaka/Marshall), which is understandable/unfortunate, then we're looking at guys who can right the ship. Basically get us back to where we were five years ago and then if we need to make a change we are a more attractive opportunity. Howland in my mind is a guarantee to put us, at worst, middle of the pack. he might be an asshole, but he'll also stand up to K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim. The man competes. His teams compete. He would be our asshole and hopefully we'd grow to love him. MAYBE Manning will be that guy, but he is a huge gamble in comparison. It would really suck if he fails and we're forced to fire a third coach in a decade. Hoping for the best, but Howland was always the safe pick here.

Right but I think Arlington is saying that it is LOWF to say "we HAVE to land THE big coach to succeed."
And Arlington is exactly right. Manning brought Tulsa to the NCAA's in two years. If he can do that (and if it wasn't a fluke) then he can do it here.

The next year of RJ telling us we didn't offer Smart enough will be amusing.

Even more amusing will be hoopla claiming his "storm is brewing" stuff was a reference to stealing Tulsa's coach.

And I really can't wait for the culture warriors blaming the fans for the outcome of this search.

hoopla has already been proven wrong even if you ignore everything in the past. Just yesterday he said the BOT was going to meet at some point today to see whether they'd approve Manning. Instead a flight left today at the crack of dawn with an offer already having been extended either yesterday or very early this morning before any fictional meeting.

Manning was offered Monday when they met in Indy is what I heard from two different people.

That obviously doesn't make it true.

Can I think that Wellman fucked this up royally (wife-blaming is the best our AD can do? STFU, you didn't get it done when it mattered most, end of story) and still believe that Manning could do very well here?

Absolutely! That's what many of us think.

Manning is going to be a great coach for Wake. Not the wish list guy you were all hoping for, but all of the available evidence says he's a good risk.

Put up a Welcome Danny Manning billboard and fly a banner over a women's soccer game! You have a new coach!

I'm not sure anyone crushed the Bzz hire more than me on the Scout board. Older posters will remember. Several sunshine posters actually tried to get me kicked out of premium. This is not the same thing, hiring Manning, and if you can't see that, I honestly don't know what to say.

You can tell yourself that but the fact is there are similarities in the hire which is very troubling.

If Manning re-ups with Tulsa we will truly be at rock bottom. I think he will sign. It is a huge step up for him, and he eventually wants to replace Self at Kansas. The only way he gets there is if he takes this kind of job. There is a lot of wins to be had at Wake Forest, and he can make a ton of money doing it.

It is quite ironic that we have had ZERO information for the past 2 weeks, and now the Manning info is leaked BEFORE he signs, thus putting us in the worst possible scenario for embarrassment.

If Manning re-ups with Tulsa we will truly be at rock bottom. I think he will sign. It is a huge step up for him, and he eventually wants to replace Self at Kansas. The only way he gets there is if he takes this kind of job. There is a lot of wins to be had at Wake Forest, and he can make a ton of money doing it.

It is quite ironic that we have had ZERO information for the past 2 weeks, and now the Manning info is leaked BEFORE he signs, thus putting us in the worst possible scenario for embarrassment.

Apparently you can make a ton of money losing, too.

Can I think that Wellman fucked this up royally (wife-blaming is the best our AD can do? STFU, you didn't get it done when it mattered most, end of story) and still believe that Manning could do very well here?

Trashing or blaming Maya Smart is pretty petty IMO. She'd go if Shaka really thought he should be here.

I would agree with you if they weren't still dragging his name through the mud last month with the "arrests record" of the players that [Redacted] inherited.

If he is still doing it this time next year without anymore mud slinging by Wake, then I'll agree with you at that point.
I don't remember the AD bringing up arrest records, I thought it was Bz after he got fired.

it looks like danny manning was ejected twice this year (vs. maryland in december and ucla in the tourney). so i guess he has some fire?

Back