• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

What we know? We don't really know anything. We've been fed snippets of info from insiders which may or may not be true. At the risk of sounding like BSF, this is a LOWF position to take. "Well, clearly we're not a competitive job opening, so anyone who isn't Russell Turner gets the gig."

It's a stupid discussion. We don't know for sure what the other candidates said, or who we talked to, or who we seriously offered. We do know that we're almost certainly hiring Danny Manning. Because his hiring is likely imminent, we're not allowed to grade the hire?

A few things:

1) You sound just like Ph in this post. Not a criticism, just an observation. It's pitch-perfect.
2) You're using LOWF properly here. Thank you. The board definitely needs a tutorial when this is all said and done.
3) It's a message board. Speculation and stupid discussions are what we do.
4) Of course we're allowed to grade the hire. But doing so in a vacuum, where things like "Manning's professional career" and "Other coaches turning us down" don't exist is a foolish exercise, and being used by some posters as an excuse for temper tantrums.
5) You sidestepped the question, albeit artfully. Still a sidestep.

OK, so you wouldn't hire Alan Smith. Which means you buy "he's been around winners his whole life!" as if most top coaches haven't been. And you buy "Danny Manning on the living room couch will seal the deal with recruits (or their dads)"?

I give up. I'm not going to have an e-argument with someone that is being intentionally obtuse.

That's what I was worried you would bring up. So he got some more production out of two role players and his Codi didn't fade down the stretch.

If we had done the same thing this year with three guys, we would have been close to the touranment.

It's only a failure that we didn't get our top guy, Shaka. There are more than a handful of great coaches out there and time will tell if we have a great one. Seriously folks, can't we try to get behind the team, program and coach? We should forget the last 4 years even happened so we don't have a jaded opinion of the hire. #filth out

The Manning hire is a C- or a C as we stand here today. Just absolutely nothing inspired about the hire itself.

That said, I hope he pays off in the future as he seems to be a high risk/high reward coach based on him having very limited experience, but a lot of intangibles that could lead to him doing well as a coach.

anybody out at reynolds to confirm? plane just landed...

Can you acknowledge the coaching search has been a failure?

NUANCE, RJ ... err, BobStackFan. NUANCE.

I acknowledge that Manning is settling after some of the names we purportedly wanted and pursued. I also acknowledge it could be a lot worse and that Manning *could* prove to be the home-run hire Wellman set out for.

Some really impressive individual improvement in Tulsa players year 1 to year 2:

James Woodard: Freshman: 99.3 offensive efficiency on 23.9% usage. Sophomore: 117.4 offensive efficiency on 22.4% usage
Shaquille Harrison: Freshman: 85.2 offensive efficiency on 20.2% usage. Sophomore: 98.6 offensive efficiency on 20.0% usage
Rashad Ray: Freshman 92.3 offensive eff on 20.6% usage. Sophomore: 110.0 offensive efficiency on 17.9% usage

Those are really big jumps. The only member of the WF mega class that made an offensive jump on that level fresh to soph is Cav.

The entire argument is totally idiotic considering they went from 178 to 73 in kenpom with pretty much the same bunch

The Manning hire is a C- or a C as we stand here today. Just absolutely nothing inspired about the hire itself.

That said, I hope he pays off in the future as he seems to be a high risk/high reward coach based on him having very limited experience, but a lot of intangibles that could lead to him doing well as a coach.

The problem with Wellman making a C- or C grade hire here is that he had a failing grade going into the Final and needed to pull off at least a B+ to pass.

It's always a lot of fun and anticipation when hiring a new coach and Wake(Ronnie) finds a way to make me miserable when doing so... I so wished I could pull for another team... I honest to God wish I would have started out in life pulling for another team... You only get so many good years in this ole world and I sure would like to enjoy a few more with Wake being decent. I swear I would do anything if we would hire Howland.... Please baby Jesus bring us Howland.. I want Smart, Marshall or Howland.. 4 years of misery with Buzz and now a fresh start with Manning... I give up... I hope this turns around guys.

Wake has been rejected by every target we took aim at above Manning, with the possible exception of Shaka who nobody knows for sure. I don't see what's LOWF about the hire given we took aim at our top targets and missed.

Do we know this for a fact? Link?

A few things:

1) You sound just like Ph in this post. Not a criticism, just an observation. It's pitch-perfect.
2) You're using LOWF properly here. Thank you. The board definitely needs a tutorial when this is all said and done.
3) It's a message board. Speculation and stupid discussions are what we do.
4) Of course we're allowed to grade the hire. But doing so in a vacuum, where things like "Manning's professional career" and "Other coaches turning us down" don't exist is a foolish exercise, and being used by some posters as an excuse for temper tantrums.
5) You sidestepped the question, albeit artfully. Still a sidestep.

1. Rather sound like Ph than dv7 with a vocabulary.
2. Let's set up a masterclass
3. Except when I ask whether we're inflating Manning's bona fides because OWGs will recognize his name.
4. Everyone seems to have been fed inside info on what coaches across the country have said about our opening. I'd like to see some sourcing on that.
5. We should hire Ben Howland, warts and all. Back up the Brinks truck.

I give up. I'm not going to have an e-argument with someone that is being intentionally obtuse.

I'll take that as a "yes"

OK, so you wouldn't hire Alan Smith. Which means you buy "he's been around winners his whole life!" as if most top coaches haven't been. And you buy "Danny Manning on the living room couch will seal the deal with recruits (or their dads)"?

#Density

Danny Manning is a better candidate than the hypothetical Alan Smith. Alan Smith would be an okay candidate, though. I posted that but you ignored it and instead chose to respond to the donks. The point, that is quite obvious, is that Manning has a resume outside of his bball experience, but the experience does make him a better candidate than if he didn't have it.

Wake has been rejected by every target we took aim at above Manning, with the possible exception of Shaka who nobody knows for sure. I don't see what's LOWF about the hire given we took aim at our top targets and missed.

Coaches don't want to coach for LOWF. A bunch of administrators and big donors who embrace LOWF tried to make a big time hire and couldn't.

Edit: This is how a friend of mine put it: "Brand has been tarnished. We've acted like a small, bottom rung ACC school & that is now we are apparently viewed. Not by potential."

When I asked him if anybody at the top would realize that we're paying for that mentality in the coaching search, he said, "Probably not. Wake is a Fortune 500 company everywhere but the hardcourt. That is the vision they have bought into."

We've got two ways out of this mess:

1. Danny Manning grows into a stud coach very quickly and gets us to at least the NCAA bubble next year and in the NCAAT in 2016 while recruiting two stud classes.
2. Wellman resigns, Manning struggles, and the new AD works to bring in a winning culture and makes an ambitious hire to replace Manning.

That's it.

Last edited:
Between Strickland's idiotic arguments that Manning's time at Tulsa has been evidence of bad coaching, bdz's "what if chris paul was cliff paul, state farm insurance agent?" argument, and bsf's temper tantrums, I lose brain cells every time I revisit this thread.

Back