• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I'm not asking this to come across as #dense, but do people really think that Manning is going to have to "overcome" talking to the press about possibly coming here, to win over the fanbase?

I think that is ridiculous. 99% of Wake fans will have no idea about any comments he made pre-hiring.

I never even thought about him "violating" anything at all.

What other big names did he go after? We know about Shaka. Reportedly Howland was interested in us. Did we ever even try to talk to him? How about Marshall? If you know, please feel free to let us know. But I suspect the problem is that Wellman is more interested in finding his kind of guy than really finding a winner. And that's why people are upset.

Completely agreed. He has acted like a douche and created an impression that he's a douche. He is going to need to overcome that now.

They tied for 1st with three other teams. The other teams had better records than they did despite more difficult schedules. They finished 4th.

No, they finished tied for 1st. They also won the conference tournament. So they really finished 1st.

What other big names did he go after? We know about Shaka. Reportedly Howland was interested in us. Did we ever even try to talk to him? How about Marshall? If you know, please feel free to let us know. But I suspect the problem is that Wellman is more interested in finding his kind of guy than really finding a winner. And that's why people are upset.

This is my concern. Where is Howland? We heard he was interested, Ron liked him, and Marquette hired Wojo. The only other potential competition we have is Cal. Why aren't we looking at him?

I'm not asking this to come across as #dense, but do people really think that Manning is going to have to "overcome" talking to the press about possibly coming here, to win over the fanbase?

I think that is ridiculous. 99% of Wake fans will have no idea about any comments he made pre-hiring.

I never even thought about him "violating" anything at all.

Those comments were the first from an active candidate about the search. I don't know how many people read that article, but I'd assume most Wake fans following the search did.

No, they finished tied for 1st. They also won the conference tournament. So they really finished 1st.

Remember when Wake got the 9 seed on tie-breakers (because they beat the 10, 11 and 12 seed) two years ago, yet everybody wanted to say they were really last? Weird how people are playing both sides of that now.

Interesting comparison per IC. One program coming off probation, another off an epic dumpster fire:

Phinal4
Recruit
3 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 9:26 PM
RE: WFU eyes Danny Manning

Well, since you asked, Ed Manning passed away a couple of years ago. I hope you feel good about yourself for almost posting about it.

And to the really astute people here and elsewhere wondering if Manning is ready to be Wake's coach...

His resume absolutely destroys Roy's resume in 1988 when KU gave him his chance. So let's not pretend Danny Manning is a basketball novice.

This is good for Wake.

InteresTing

Interesting comparison per IC. One program coming off probation, another off an epic dumpster fire:

Phinal4
Recruit
3 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 9:26 PM
RE: WFU eyes Danny Manning

Well, since you asked, Ed Manning passed away a couple of years ago. I hope you feel good about yourself for almost posting about it.

And to the really astute people here and elsewhere wondering if Manning is ready to be Wake's coach...

His resume absolutely destroys Roy's resume in 1988 when KU gave him his chance. So let's not pretend Danny Manning is a basketball novice.

This is good for Wake.

I hope he's right.

Roy was able to kill it on the recruiting trail. Can Danny do that?

Hell, if I had known the criteria for head coach at wake forest was being a big man with little to no head coaching experience. And the only real qualifier was that you had to be better than bz we should have just hired fucking Chas McFarland. Then we could really watch this dumpster fire circus burn. Then at least it would be humorous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

At least chaz would have hot boxed the fuck out of that turbo prop Justin Bieber style. That plane would love landed on one wheel backwards with Chaz immediately leaking to his home boyz, OZ FO' A HUNDO'

Remember when Wake got the 9 seed on tie-breakers (because they beat the 10, 11 and 12 seed) two years ago, yet everybody wanted to say they were really last? Weird how people are playing both sides of that now.

Both sides are true. If you finish tied for first, no team is above you in the standings. If you finish tied for last, no team is below you.

Shaka/Howland/Marshall aren't coming through that door.

Manning it is. I hope against hope that he accepts and we can begin the rebuilding process.

It really cracks me up how the anti-Manning people are going out of their way to make his limited but impressive tenure at Tulsa sound worse than it is. He had a young team and lost some bad games in December but ended up turning it around and ending winning 11 straight and this is some evidence of him being a bad coach.

WGHP just showed a statement by Manning concerning making his decision. He talks like someone who has a chip on his shoulder. It reminded me of Roy when he is in one of his moods. Not sure if I like what that statement conveyed.

There is no doubt that he is a high risk, high reward hire. I THINK that he will be a fine coach for us.

Of course you do. Gotta get in good with the new regime and all. We all remember how you did it with [ ] too.

Look guys-- I agree that in no way shape or form is Danny Manning a home run. Like I said earlier, RW was never much with the bat and apparently in going for he fences he struck out! Plain and simple. Does not matter why some of the big names did not want to come here. If we were lied to and RW never actually approached then big names and has been just sitting around picking his nose, then he should be fired. But if he made a bona fide effort to get SS or anyone of that statute and they just refused to come to Wake then he did what he could do and had to find the best available coach who would take the job. Now some of you may think that Manning is not the best Tier 3 coach available, but if the offer has been made and he accepts, then we should all get behind him and support him and the team. He certainly is a step up from what we had and if you can't agree with that you are just stupid. Lets hope Manning comes in and turns things around. I just know that he is a better coach than the guy he replaces. Lets get the dog and pony show and move on!

Of course you do. Gotta get in good with the new regime and all. We all remember how you did it with [ ] too.

What the hell are you talking about?

I have no ties with the Wake Forest media relations department at all. I think they are (on the whole) absolutely horrendous at their job and represent Wake in a very poor manner.

Those comments were the first from an active candidate about the search. I don't know how many people read that article, but I'd assume most Wake fans following the search did.

Agree that people are making too big of a deal about any leaked comments posted on a Tulsa Blogger site

WGHP just showed a statement by Manning concerning making his decision. He talks like someone who has a chip on his shoulder. It reminded me of Roy when he is in one of his moods. Not sure if I like what that statement conveyed.

So what did he say?

Back