• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Wake cleared Gary Clark. Didn't stop Wellman and Bz from referring to him as a player who had been in trouble with the law.
[Redacted] also named G-Money a team captain for his senior year.

This academic restriction/constraint debate is very frustrating.

I think most would agree Wake Forest doesn't inflate grades. In fact most of the student body would say grades are depressed. I'm sure the athletes get a certain amount of leniency but if they think they have a shot at the NBA in a year or 2 i can see them not giving a shit and flirting with ineligibility pretty constantly in those 2 years. Football not as big of a problem because Wake usually isn't angling for extremely high end talent.

All I know is Wake basketball figured out how to be successful and not embarrassing academically before and they SHOULD be able to do it again. Other elite academic institutions have figured it out so really it shouldn't be a legitimate concern.

THIS. Good post.

Some people have said he said that in the comments of that article.

So Dan wrote an article and then in the comments people said dan wishes he hadn't said that. So to me the comments were written by jackasses in the ad once they realiZed how royally fucked they were

Guys are we assuming the AD knew about this rape investigation/allegation and the risk Manning took before it on a kid with obviously questionable history and dismissed it as not a red flag?

I also feel whatever you think about Manning and this happening on this watch it has to raise SOME concern especially if we hire and introduce him before the Tulsa police clear the kid.

The victims account is a pretty grisly account of the supposed rape. The accused seems like a real dip shit. And I know it's just an accusation... But still. I would have assumed if we went after a mediocre hire he'd at least have a perfect culture record.. But Manning simply isn't blemish free and thats extremely surprsing

We were speculating who it could be that shaka would be settling and he inferred that we shouldn't rely much on his comment. Of course he referenced it in the Manning column later. The whole thing was weird.

It's times like this that I'm thankful that we're a football school. #ClawsIN #bballout

I will always remember the thread where Chris transformed into jason27nc.

Something like,

'I'll make the decision when I am ready'. Almost as if he does not owe us a timely decision...just struck me as unnecessarily curt and a bit haughty. But maybe it is just the way I took it.

He can only blame himself for being asked that question.

The victims account is a pretty grisly account of the supposed rape. The accused seems like a real dip shit. And I know it's just an accusation... But still. I would have assumed if we went after a mediocre hire he'd at least have a perfect culture record.. But Manning simply isn't blemish free and thats extremely surprsing

I like your willingness to withhold judgment. Don't want to drudge up any ancient arguments but I would like to note Tony Woods got absolutely no benefit of the doubt in a similar but not exact run in.

Texted my buddy who is a lifelong KU fan about Manning and these were his thoughts:

He's a giant reason why KU was great the last 10 years. Morris twins and Robinson were nothing before him. Aldrich. Look at KU big men he coached. We obv could never keep him but u are incredibly lucky.

Hold up. So likely Wake Forest head men's basketball coach Danny Manning recruited a JUCO accused rapist to Tulsa?

Bingo. That scary headline writes itself and its arguably not misleading at all until after the hearing tomorrow.

Texted my buddy who is a lifelong KU fan about Manning and these were his thoughts:

He's a giant reason why KU was great the last 10 years. Morris twins and Robinson were nothing before him. Aldrich. Look at KU big men he coached. We obv could never keep him but u are incredibly lucky.

I think it's a bad assumption by your friend to assume a good assistant who develops players will translate into a good head coach.

Hold up. So likely Wake Forest head men's basketball coach Danny Manning recruited a JUCO accused rapist to Tulsa?

He didn't recruit that kid. He only recruited two players in the class of 2012.

Back