• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Savvy move. He is one year away from being a very hot commodity. Come to Wake with our current roster, struggle, bloom is off the rose. Coach 4 years then get the axe. Not good. Manning is different - independently wealthy, big name, still a couple of years away from being a hot commodity (assuming he continues to improve at Tulsa), and from the area.

He's also one bad year away from being relegated to the back burner. I'm not sure it's EVER a savvy move to turn down an opportunity to quadruple your salary, especially when offered the prospect of a multi-year contract.

Just got the Sportscenter alert. It's official.

Praying that Manning brings in a serious X's and O's assistant. If he keeps more than one of the current assistants........ugh

DM will inform his AD at 9 and have a conference call with his players at 9:30. Shortly after, it will be official!

Didn't rj tell us it would classless to not have a meeting with his players? Wonder what he thinks about a conference call?

Here is a little fake scoop for ya. On Pardon the interrupt last night, speculation is that the constant pressure in Lexington, KY is getting to Caliparia , He is stepping down after final 4. But he still wants to coach. Give him 3.5 mil. The hell with culture. Then Shaka can go get burnt out at UK.

Well, no pressure from our AD to win! We're perfect for Cal for his ride into the sunset!

He's also one bad year away from being relegated to the back burner. I'm not sure it's EVER a savvy move to turn down an opportunity to quadruple your salary, especially when offered the prospect of a multi-year contract.

Honestly, I have no idea about La Tech's roster, but how do they look next year relative to the last couple? If solid, he can pretty much chalk up another big season, get his experience, make good money, and move to a bigger gig. Even the Wake job would look better one year from now given our roster/scholarship issues.

Can we put this thread to bed then and have a expectation thread and a fuck wellman thread which we already have ?

It's been a good run boys.
Let's go Manning Let's go Deacs.

Ummm, Mike White turned us down. This isn't very hard to understand.

Um, really, it's not hard for you to understand how a coach making less than $500,000 would turn down a job making $1,000,000+? I mean White has a more impressive resume than Manning, and Manning is apparently worth $2 million. So you really don't think we could've got White, cause with the money Wake is offering Manning I'm sure a deal could've been reached.

He said he needed more time. How the hell does a coach making less than $500,000 turn down a job that is now paying a coach with less of a resume than Mike White $2 million? You really think if White was offered 4 times his current salary he'd turn us down? How terrible is this job that the coach at La Tech is turning us down?

Mike White turned us down. He did. Move on. We never even got to money with White. He didn't want to consider the job. End of story.

I don't mind not talking to Mack, apparently he and Wellman don't like each other. I also don't mind not talking to Howland, assuming he was deemed inappropriate. But Shaka wasn't the only home run hire. Marshall was as well, and there have been no allegations of any culture issues with him, as opposed to Howland, Mack and Manning. But it sounds like Wellman never picked up that phone. Also doesn't sound like we made much of a move, if any, for Archie Miller. Bypassing Marshall and Miller for Manning is just gross incompetence. I like Danny and hope he does well. Would have been happy with him had I heard we put the full court press on Shaka, Marshall and Miller 1st. But Wellman, Hatch and the BOT are just plain incompetent. I hope our fan base doesn't take out our frustrations on Manning. But I encourage others to show displeasure with your wallets.

agreed. ron wellman is responsible for not getting one of the top candidates. hatch is responsible for wellman. don't give to wake will. it is the only thing they understand and listen to.

For the people saying Mike White turned us down, do you believe a formal offer was made? I think that's what we/I find hard to believe.

Welcome Coach Manning!

please please please rescue the program from the abyss

tumblr_m1powhRVdz1rqnp16o1_r1_500.gif

Um, really, it's not hard for you to understand how a coach making less than $500,000 would turn down a job making $1,000,000+? I mean White has a more impressive resume than Manning, and Manning is apparently worth $2 million. So you really don't think we could've got White, cause with the money Wake is offering Manning I'm sure a deal could've been reached.
It's called waiting out for a better job after next season. La Tech will probably be even better next year, and White's name will be even hotter. C'mon BSF, this isn't very hard to understand.

Change thread name to AD replacement search and let's start that discussion.

Back