• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

What do we think about Amaker to BC?

1) Is BC targeting Amaker? Haven't seen much in the twitter verse about this, but the fit is obvious.

2) If BC is targeting Amaker, do we think Wellman could nonetheless steal him away? Wake is, objectively speaking, a better basketball job than BC, but much (if not all) of that difference might be mitigated by the Boston factor.

Being from Virginia and playing at Duke I would think coaching in the Big 4 would matter a good bit. Definitely more than if he was coaching out west or something. But what do I know anymore? Maybe these things don't matter anymore.

P.S. Still don't want Amaker.

I consider Amaker to be above Donahue myself.

I didn't watch BC enough to have a strong opinion on how well they were coached, but Donahue didn't recruit even one 4-star player while at BC. You just can't win like that in the ACC. I do hope BC goes in another direction, as I would much prefer Amaker as our #3 or #4 than miss out and fall further on our list.

BC has been remarkably quiet about their search... perhaps even more so than Wake Forest.

You have to think Amaker is a candidate for the job, but the silence from each side (and the media) seems to indicate otherwise. All I hear are folks like Goodman and Katz saying Harvard is a better job/fit right now for Amaker.

Dominos will start to fall this week, though... potentially: Howland to Marquette, Masiello to USF... I have to think that Wellman pulls the trigger on something by the time the Final Four weekend rolls around (because we surely won't be talking to any of those coaches).

Do you really think BC wants to go back to the Ivy well again after the failure of Donahue?

A fair point. I will say that Donahue's success at Cornell is about as fluky as it possibly gets, and that BC's athletic director may (emphasis on 'may') be wise enough to distinguish between that and Amaker's HU teams. Of course, the latter might itself be problematic given Harvard's recruiting "strategy" under Amaker. But as someone above said, Amaker has already done what Donahue never did: recruit high-major talent to high-major programs. Donahue was a disaster in part because he couldn't spell AAU when took the BC program, having relied on transfers and diamond-in-the-rough success stories at Cornell.

The thing that makes Amaker so attractive to the Wakes and BCs of the world is his paltry salary, which I believe is roughly $700k/year (!). We could double that in a heartbeat.

I have absolutely zero inside knowledge, but I think Archie Miller is looking like the most realistic possibility for us right now.

I just don't see Shaka leaving VCU for Wake, especially w/ the talent they have coming in and the "brand" he's built there. Pains me to say it, but I don't see Wake as a better situation than VCU right now (even w/ the ACC affiliation).

I think Marshall is more likely to leave Wichita State (than Shaka is to leave VCU), but I just don't see him at Wake (or working w/ Ron)... I hope I am wrong.

Howland seems to be lobbying for Marquette... so he's probably out.

That leaves the other mid-major guys we have been discussing for weeks (months)... Archie Miller seems like the best fit for Wake Forest. And I'm warming up to that... not really because of Dayton's NCAA run; more because it has resulted in increased exposure & interviews which have impressed me. No reason he can't be Sean Miller part II.

The other guys seem like they are probably still a successful stint away from the ACC (White, Masiello, etc).

The thing that makes Amaker so attractive to the Wakes and BCs of the world is his paltry salary, which I believe is roughly $700k/year (!). We could double that in a heartbeat.

Wow, I didn't know it was that low. I imagine Harvard will definitely not even try to match a BCS salary for an athletics coach.

Doing a little research, it looks as though Miami offered a 5-year deal worth $1.1M per year three years ago, which he rejected after promises by Harvard that included "guarantees of resources for him and his coaching staff, including a pay increase for his assistant coaches and future work on Lavietes Pavilion."

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 1m
Getting 2 streams of information on Marquette. One stream is saying Ben Howland. The other stream is saying Shaka Smart.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 1m
Getting 2 streams of information on Marquette. One stream is saying Ben Howland. The other stream is saying Shaka Smart.

I'd be happy with the leftovers.

I think for me personally the only coaches I'm interested in us getting are Smart or Marshall. I'm so tired of us losing and those are the only two coaches that I can see coming in next year and at the very least getting us to the NIT or at the best getting us to the NCAA as a low seed.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 1m
Been hearing the same re: Marquette. I think Howland gets it at the end of the day, but they are willing to throw tons of money at Shaka.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 1m
Been hearing the same re: Marquette. I think Howland gets it at the end of the day, but they are willing to throw tons of money at Shaka.

VCU to Marquette seems like such a lateral move. Obviously we'll have to see what "tons of money" means.

This reminds me of the rumors that Billy Donovan was a done deal to NC State.

@VCUinsider 4m
@teacht79 I can tell you that Wake Forest AD has asked to have "conversations" with Shaka Smart and that just happened today.

Back