• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

How was it definitive?

There were two quotes--he just said he was "committed" and that they were talking about "moving forward". That was literally it. The writer just wanted to get more clicks, so he wrote a more suggestive title to the post.

The Times Dispatch is a newspaper not a blog or some kid on a campus TV station. I don't think they would post "Shaka Smart staying" without the confidence it was solid.

You assholes do realize some of us need to be productive at work at some point, right?

EUXvug9.gif

The Times Dispatch is a newspaper not a blog or some kid on a campus TV station. I don't think they would post "Shaka Smart staying" without the confidence it was solid.

Who knows who wrote the headline. Good chance it wasn't the author.

As has been pointed out many times no quote in the article says he's staying, and the AD is just rephrasing quotes from earlier in the week

The VCU AD is in the worst spot a negotiator can be. He can't really make any demands of Shaka because Shaka is a superstar. Shaka is also not getting paid like a superstar and gets courted yearly.Last year Shaka got an extension and not a lot of people think VCU can go much further then that budget wise after only one year.

Marquette was willing to pay Buzz money which is top ten money. The conference and problems with the power structure were powerful deterrents.

If Wake brought the suitcase full of money those deterrents do not exist.

VCU athletics director Ed McLaughlin said he will sit down with basketball coach Shaka Smart to discuss Smart’s contract and the program, but he’s not concerned that Smart will be lured away.

The AD gives his opinion, not a fact.

“I know we’ve invested a lot in the program and that he’s committed to the program,” McLaughlin said. “I don’t have those concerns.

Again, another opinion.

“The nice thing last year was he and I were on the same page about everything, what we needed to do to make sure our program is on a high level. I anticipate that we’ll be on the same page about a lot of things this year.”

And again. Nothing definitive.

Can Shaka win a natty t at WFU? If he thinks the answer is "yes" then welcome Mr Smart. If the answer is no then he stays at VCU and waits for a bigger job.

Fuck it, I'm at a 7 that'll he come. Haven't been this optimistic about something Wake sports-related since AFA and his BOI Tony Woods committed.

Well at. Least 3 coaches at WFU in the last 20 years at the very least should have been right there. I would hope he thinks he can.

Haha. I actually know the sports editor at the T-D. I can assure you that he isn't bending over backwards to verify what comes out of the VCU AD office.

Back