• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Trust me wellman has a blank check. Money will not be an issue in this deal.

Yeah, I have heard that a few times. I wasn't implying it was, but rather it might be the reason for the lengthy delay if we did in fact give an offer Tues Night/ Wed Morning.

Any news on Archie's buyout?

I'm interested in this, too. The media seems to have discounted Archie as a candidate for any job based on an extension signed in Feb. Who cares about the extension as long as the buyout is not huge.

Saw a good article basically highlighting that a "sure thing" hire is a very very rare thing in college hoops and that most hires can look terrible at first based on the facts. Here is the link to the full article and the more interesting excerpts about head coaches previous jobs below:

http://jimmcilvaine.sportsblog.com/post/628913/coach_shopping_during_march_madness.html

"-Florida's Billy Donovan was the head coach at Marshall and never made the NCAA tournament there

-UCLA's Steve Alford was the head coach at New Mexico and missed the NCAA tournament three times in six seasons

-Virginia's Tony Bennett just came off a 17-16 season at Washington State & a first-round loss in the NIT

-Michigan State's Tom Izzo was an assistant coach at MSU

-Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg had no prior coaching experience at all

-UConn's Kevin Ollie was an assistant coach for just two years under Jim Calhoun before being hired

-Arizona's Sean Miller is the rarity in this group both in terms of experience and success, having four consecutive NCAA appearances at Xavier before being hired

-As successful as he may have been earlier in his career, when San Diego State hired Steve Fisher, he was just one year removed from being fired at Michigan in the aftermath of an off-court scandal involving booster Ed Martin

-Baylor's Scott Drew had just one season of experience as a head coach at Valparaiso, where he lost in the first round of the NIT

-Wisconsin's Bo Ryan had just two years of head coaching experience at the Division 1 level and a losing conference record in the Horizon league with UW-Milwaukee

-Like Sean Miller, Kentucky's John Calipari also had an impressive resume, with over 400 career wins, Final Four appearances and NBA connections

-Louisville's Rick Pitino also had a stellar coaching resume with an NBA background and plenty of NCAA rings from different schools

-Tennessee's Cuonzo Martin had an 11-20 season, won the CIT and lost in the second round of the NIT in his three seasons at Missouri State, before he arrived in Knoxville.

-Michigan's John Beilein had 15 years of Division 1 head coaching experience, but only made the NCAA tournament four times and only made it past the first weekend twice.

While it's easy to say I cherry-picked some of the less-impressive elements of these coaching resumes and ignored some of their other impressive qualifications, isn't that basically what basketball fans do when they react to unfamiliar new hires with a healthy dose of skepticism? What about the fans who think Brad Underwood's single season of head coaching experience and brief tournament run at Stephen F. Austin warrants consideration, but have no clue who the top assistants are on Tom Izzo's staff?

Rare is the "home run hire" in college basketball universally evident from day one. Be patient with your new coach and trust the folks who hired him, especially if they've made good hires in the past or recognized that a change needed to be made and were willing to make it."

I hope the flight departing now from Smith Reynolds to White Plains isnt Ron traveling up to NYC for the games tonight.

Yeah, I have heard that a few times. I wasn't implying it was, but rather it might be the reason for the lengthy delay if we did in fact give an offer Tues Night/ Wed Morning.

Shaka knows that he can have basically anything he wants. It's a big decision for him. We will hear soon enough

So I don't know how to use that flight aware very well, but I think that plane made trips back and forth from Smith Reynolds to Williamsburg before heading to Nashville and then back to Winston. Williamsburg is close to Richmond...right?

45 min on I-64E.

They would fly to Richmond, not Williamsburg.

That is big news. With Wellman at the helm, I am very leery that an offer was ever extended. So, Shaka hasn't said no just quite yet....it seems.

Maybe now if word of an offer is out, Wellman will be forced to address it directly by reporting that he turned it down or hopefully just by introducing Shaka as our new coach. . . . I hope.

Saw a good article basically highlighting that a "sure thing" hire is a very very rare thing in college hoops and that most hires can look terrible at first based on the facts. Here is the link to the full article and the more interesting excerpts about head coaches previous jobs below:

http://jimmcilvaine.sportsblog.com/post/628913/coach_shopping_during_march_madness.html

"
-Michigan State's Tom Izzo was an assistant coach at MSU

-Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg had no prior coaching experience at all

-UConn's Kevin Ollie was an assistant coach for just two years under Jim Calhoun before being hired

-As successful as he may have been earlier in his career, when San Diego State hired Steve Fisher, he was just one year removed from being fired at Michigan in the aftermath of an off-court scandal involving booster Ed Martin

-Michigan's John Beilein had 15 years of Division 1 head coaching experience, but only made the NCAA tournament four times and only made it past the first weekend twice.

That's it! We're hiring Randolph or Rusty.

Also, notify DeaconSig that someone else considers Steve Fisher to be a successful coach at SDSU.

Back