• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

It has to be asked: is the Wake job even of interest for good coaches after this four year dark ages? If we are this far down the list then we've been shot down by guys that would have lept at the job in the mid-2000s.

you would have to assume so; and the recruiting restrictions we have self imposed must be awful.

I am confused. Only one guy showed real improvement while others didn't show much or got worse? Yet they went from 17-16(8-8) to 21-13(13-3) and the NCAA tournament? Not saying you are wrong but it does not pass the smell test.

Woodard became their team; he took a step up and the rest of the team seems to have taken a step back. They shifted from a balanced roster of mainly freshmen contributors to one that revolved around Woodard, featured Smith, and utilized relatively smaller contributions from the rest of the team. The good thing from an evaluative standpoint is that most of Tulsa's team has only played under Manning, and their development has been somewhat akin to our 2012 class, which is to say overall meh.

ETA: This is why they didn't have a chance in hell of beating UCLA. Their offense was pretty transparent, IMO.

Those 4 teams played in what turned out to be a 4 team tournament at the end of the year, and Tulsa won that tournament. So Mike White and La Tech can take their "best team according to kenpom" title to the NIT while Tulsa took home the hardware.

Tulsa struggled early in the year, At the end of the year, they were the best team in the CUSA. They have the hardware to prove it.

Yeah and that's fine. They also lost every non-conference game they played against a competitive team, including one to LTU, so I'm still not sure of your point. Conference USA was not a good basketball conference this year.

Were talking this so seriously because it's literally all the news we have heard.

I remember when the [Redacted] news broke; we tried to justify it as being the last option and look what happened

I'm trying to be positive. #goodvibes #moxy #swagger all that... You're right, though.

Another piece of the puzzle: I just went back and checked out how players have improved under Manning.

One guy (Woodard) showed some good year one to two improvement and another showed some baby steps, but most of the other sophomores took a step back (including their best "prospect" D'Andre Wright).

I'm into Manning's upside for a test drive at a lower high major (i.e. USF) or good mid-major (i.e. A-10) level program, but for Wake Forest and a Wake Forest that has four years of [he who shall not be named] under its belt: #welp

This. I feel the same way as OGB's previous post about being told there's an open checkbook and we're swinging for the fences.

Also, what good is there having such a respected AD if he can't get us what we need?

All this must have been part of the terms of the deal we made with the rest of the ACC not to boot us during football expansion. Major basketball recruiting restrictions and one hand tied behind our back on the bench for a period of no fewer than 10 years.

My fear all along is we'd make a big push for Shaka and get rejected then immediately retreat to a plan C hire.

One stupid ESPN article turned the coaching search thread into a Danny Manning debate thread. Unbelievable.

After the last coaching hire, can you really blame people for getting upset at the possible hire?

Before I even type this, I know people are going to say 1) there's that LOWF attitude and 2) you never post, who are you to comment. But here goes anyway:

While I too would love Shaka or Marshall, there is nothing in Wake Forest's past that should get people TRULY optimistic over making such a hire.

For those of you too young to remember, me not included, there was a similar attitude at the time of Bob Staak's departure (I had the privilege of watching that shit show while at Wake) - minus the energy of the internet and fan boards. At that time, the Shaka/Marshall dream equivalent was Gary Williams - it didn't end well - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...jYdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uaUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6862,6050112 - this article makes it sound nice, the bottom line was he made it pretty clear Wake was beneath him and sure enough 8 months later he had no problem dealing with the "pressure" that came with getting the Ohio State job - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...gMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yaYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5077,3515551. BTW, for $75K per year.

In contrast we ended up with Dave Odom, a guy who had most recently been an ass't at UVA for 7 years and before that head coach at ECU, of all places, for 3 years, the last 2 of which ended with losing records. Odom delivered some very good years - and I know, he had Duncan, Childress, and Rogers, but any coach we hire should recruit better than Bzz.

Eventually Odom left and we got Skip. Great in many ways, but his last 3 years at Xavier were an NCAA first round exit and two NIT appearances - not exactly an "on fire" candidate. That too worked out rather well.

Wake simply is not, as much as some want to think otherwise, Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Syracuse, Louisville, or Michigan St. We're not the dream school of the hottest candidate out there.

So we can debate all night about Shaka/Marshall, but the more likely scenario is Mack or Manning or White - despite statements by our AD or whomever about "swinging for the fences". And, the odds are any of these three will work out just fine - like Skip and Odom did - our last hire was just incredibly poor in all respects, from Day 1 and we need to move on. Personally I'd like Mack - eight 4-star recruits in the last 4 years going up against some tough competition in the Midwest - Crean, Matta, Izzo etc etc. And, 4 NCAA appearances in 5 years, including two Sweet Sixteen's both times including upsets of higher ranked teams (something Wake has never been good at)

I would ease up on Manning's 2013-14 season. His team really put it together in the second half of the season. If you watched the CUSA CG, they talked a little bit about the struggles his team had early on, and it sounded like typical frosh/soph inexperience. I posted about it last month I think, but Manning had something like 80% of his production coming from frosh/soph this year. I know we've heard youth as an excuse all too often these past four years, but Tulsa was very, very young this season, and they really got going nicely after the rough start.

I'd also call his big man development his biggest strength, rather than recruiting. Dude churned out and molded some very impressive centers and power forwards in his time at Kansas, and actually got a lot of recognition for it. After the last four years, I'd love to see us have another big, skilled center again. I think Manning would accomplish that.

I'd be optimistic in his recruiting, but that's definitely more of a crapshoot than our other candidates, I think.

Again, he'd be down my list, but he wouldn't be an absolutely miserable hire. I'd give him the C+ that someone else suggested. Problem is, we need someone a full grade higher.

Face it guys: we caught lightning in a bottle three times (Rogers, Duncan, CP3) with barely anything to show for it. The bball gods are essentially saying "you had your chance... now go hang out with VT and Clemson". #LOWF

Face it guys: we caught lightning in a bottle three times (Rogers, Duncan, CP3) with barely anything to show for it. The bball gods are essentially saying "you had your chance... now go hang out with VT and Clemson". #LOWF

Yeah, VT is screwed with that recent hire.

No way Ron is going to hire someone with only 2 years as a head coach (and only one of those years being a good season). Certainly there are people who would step in and say, "You can't do this. We won't allow it."

All this must have been part of the terms of the deal we made with the rest of the ACC not to boot us during football expansion. Major basketball recruiting restrictions and one hand tied behind our back on the bench for a period of no fewer than 10 years.

I think we guaranteed we'd take no more than 6 wins away from the conference for life.

Back