• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

That's not an indictment of Skip. Matta and Miller are both awesome coaches. Skip definitely put them in a good position to succeed early.

This is from an article by Clay Travis (http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/should-vols-match-marquettes-offer-for-cuonzo-martin.php) about the highest paid coaches.

If Shaka turned down the chance to be the 8th highest paid coach in the nation, then fuck him.

1. Coach K, Duke
$7.2 million

2. John Calipari, Kentucky
$5.4 million

3. Rick Pitino, Louisville
$5.1 million

4. Bill Self, Kansas
$5 million

5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State
$3.75 million

6. Billy Donovan, Florida
$3.7 million

7. Thad Matta, Ohio State
$3.2 million

8. Tom Crean, Indiana
$2.9 million

9. Josh Pastner, Memphis
$2.65 million

10. Steve Alford, UCLA
$2.6 million

11. Sean Miller, Arizona
$2.5 million

12. Rick Barnes, Texas
$2.4 million

12. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin
$2.4 million

14. Jay Wright, Villanova
$2.3 million

14. Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
$2.3 million

14. Travis Ford, Oklahoma State
$2.3 million

14. Bruce Pearl, Auburn
$2.3 million

18. John Thompson, Georgetown
$2.2 million

18. Mike Anderson, Arkansas
$2.2 million

20. Lon Kruger, Oklahoma
$2.1 million

21. Mark Gottfried, N.C. State
$1.95 million

22. Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt
$1.93 million

23. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse
$1.9 million

23. John Beilein, Michigan
$1.9 million

25. Anthony Grant, Alabama
$1.85 million

25. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
$1.85 million

A few points as I sift through the broken wreckage of my Wake Forest fandom:

1. I don't like Ben Howland, but I would take him over Danny Manning;
2. The Manning thing, much like the Mack thing, doesn't seem to have much in the way of legs from the Wake side, which gives me hope;
3. There is almost zero accurate information from the Wake side; and
4 The lack of Wake-side information makes it easier to both freak the fuck out and assume the sky is falling and also remain confident that a great coach is on the cusp of being hired.

Strange days indeed.

The Wake side information suggests that we've been doing a coaching search for at least a month (BC game on 3/1) and still don't have anybody. This isn't a glass half full/half empty situation. We have no idea how much water is in the glass at all.

Biff, I didn't think it was debatable that Xavier moved forward as a program after Skip left. Matta and Miller far surpassed what Gillen and Skip did in March. I'm happy to hear your argument though.

It's not hard. Skip's last team at Xavier had three NBA draft picks, two sophomores and one freshman. Of course they were going to get better.

Thursday or Friday before the Final 4 before the Final 4 would be the best two days to introduce a basketball coach. If we don't announce a coach by then, I'll start to get worried

A few points as I sift through the broken wreckage of my Wake Forest fandom:

1. I don't like Ben Howland, but I would take him over Danny Manning;
2. The Manning thing, much like the Mack thing, doesn't seem to have much in the way of legs from the Wake side, which gives me hope;
3. There is almost zero accurate information from the Wake side; and
4 The lack of Wake-side information makes it easier to both freak the fuck out and assume the sky is falling and also remain confident that a great coach is on the cusp of being hired.

Strange days indeed.

You know it's bad when the Howland truthers are ready to sign him up over Danny Manning.

Biff, I didn't think it was debatable that Xavier moved forward as a program after Skip left. Matta and Miller far surpassed what Gillen and Skip did in March. I'm happy to hear your argument though.

Who cares what X did. I care what Wake did. Prosser would have done well for the next couple of years at X if he had stayed. But eventually he would have left. More important is that Wellman chose the right coach at that time for Wake, and he was very successful.

Congrats to X for hiring Matta. I'm pretty sure Wellman wasn't about to hire Matta though after what had just happened. Are you telling me that Prosser was a bad hire for Wake because X continued to improve after he left? Really?

Thursday or Friday before the Final 4 before the Final 4 would be the best two days to introduce a basketball coach. If we don't announce a coach by then, I'll start to get worried

The carousel is spinning now. The best day to introduce a new coach is right away.

The grand social experiment that was a Sports Board CT is turning out to be a gigantic failure, isn't it?

Who cares what X did. I care what Wake did. Prosser would have done well for the next couple of years at X if he had stayed. But eventually he would have left. More important is that Wellman chose the right coach at that time for Wake, and he was very successful.

Congrats to X for hiring Matta. I'm pretty sure Wellman wasn't about to hire Matta though after what had just happened. Are you telling me that Prosser was a bad hire for Wake because X continued to improve after he left? Really?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc comparing Skip to Bz. Dumb logic from Ph.

South Florida.

To be fair, Wellman said from the start that the search would take weeks.

But why? Either we were horribly unprepared (we knew we'd be looking for a new coach for months), we are having a hard time getting a "yes" from a desirable coach, or we were waiting on someone still coaching through this past weekend. If we don't hire a Sweet Sixteen coach, you gotta think we hired someone pretty far down on our list.

Roy Williams isn't one of the top 25 paid coaches in college basketball?

Maybe we can get him for less than $2.2 million.

Imagine any serious candidate using ogboards to test the pulse of the Wake Nation. What would he find? A supportive network of fans ready to tough it out for a couple of painful years? Or, a coven of collar-poppin' drama queens ready to roast any choice other than a reanimated Skip Prosser?

Get yourselves together! Get back to the positivity that prevailed a couple of days ago or YOU, the fans, will be 100% responsible for Ron's failure.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc comparing Skip to Bz. Dumb logic from Ph.

Nobody is comparing Skip to Bz.

X replaced Skip with a better coach. When a coach moves up a tier and his own program outpaces his new program for the next decade, that's a problem.

Back