• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I don't know, to be honest. I hope it never gets to that point. The more I dig into Manning's resume, the less enthusiastic I am about Manning as a candidate. He's one of those guys who looks great on paper, but gets much less impressive upon a closer look...

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

The comparisons to the Odom hiring are a little silly. A lot has changed in 25 years. For most programs, Wake included, the coach's regional connections with high school coaches were more important than they are today. The question then wasn't is Dave Odom one of the top available talents in the country; it was is he the one of the top talents in the region. Comparing 1989 to now only works to a degree. The world is a smaller place and recruiting a kid to leave the area he grew up in is easier; it's also more competitive.

I know the obvious counter-points from the preceding couple pages will be "Well Manning was an NC kid and he didn't go to a local school... or Howland is toast because he torched his local ties to AAU California... but in 1989 we weren't looking for talented young coaches from Oregon, for example. Likewise, Stanford, probably wouldn't have been looking at Gary Williams then either.

TU source says they talked contract extension & raise. Today's meeting was not direct result of Wake Forest interest.

Outside of short-term money, what does Shaka have to gain by coming to Wake Forest. He is better situated for success over the next 2-3 seasons at VCU than Wake. Over the next 2-3 years one of the high, high-profile jobs will likely come open. Having a few subpar years at Wake could hurt has chances of landing of those jobs. He's playing it safe, essentially.

I don't have an answer for that. I could spew all the same reasons everyone else has laid out, but you already know them. That isn't really the point. My point was that if we have 3M we should seemingly be able to get Howland, Miller, Mack, etc...Comparing our hiring history shouldn't be an indicator because we were told that money was no object and that we were swinging for the fences presumably to undo the destruction of the last four years. This was not supposed to be a stepping stone hire. I don't think Manning is terrible, but he's not great. We've been set up to expect great. If RW fails to deliver, once again, it's on him.

Kenny Beck @kennybeckWXII
Interesting developments in the Danny-Manning-Wake-Forest chatter we've been hearing over the last 24 hours. Latest from the Deacs on @WXII

Kenny Beck @kennybeckWXII
Interesting developments in the Danny-Manning-Wake-Forest chatter we've been hearing over the last 24 hours. Latest from the Deacs on @WXII

well i don't see anything on their website?

I think the initial assumption one has when they hear "manning" is that he will be a great recruiter in NC. But there's really no evidence of that. This would be another Wellman gut-feeling hire. Which is causing the negative reaction, IMO

That's why you toss 4 mil his way if you have to. Luring him away from VCU makes a massive statement. Even if he is only worth 3, the pr and recruiting value is well worth it.

Worth it to Wake, yes. But is it worth it to Shaka?

Shit anyone in the winston salem area to hear this guys 6 oclock scoop

Back