• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Random note. Gene Bartow would have been a heck of a hire instead of Odom just based on his record.

He was almost 60 years old though. And he seemed content to stay at UAB after only lasting 2 years at taking on the impossible task of following Wooden at UCLA.

Let's be rational for a second. There is absolutely no way Shaka was on campus last weekend. He woundnt do that to his kids and there is no way this would be kept secret. People would recognize him in a second and it would have made its way to twitter/boards.

Right now I'd have Manning at #4 or #5. The top 3 being obvious- Shaka, Marshall and Archie.

I think he gets us Harry Giles with the pitch I gave earlier. Hopefully he'll bring in an old coach to sit next to him. Being around the game as long as he has and with the money we would save getting him, I think he could do that.

He's still an up the track finisher behind the others.

It's not all that hard to get in and out of a town without anyone knowing it.

3cRw4.gif

He coached at Clemson. He's seen our facilities and W-S before. There really wouldn't be much of a reason to visit.

When people throw out these $3mm-4mm figures, they do know that there are only like 7 or 8 coaches who earn over $3mm a year, and all but one have won a national title?

TV money is way up...the cost of a good coach in a top conference is up. How many of those 7-8 have signed a contract recently? Hell, we paid [Redacted] $1.4 in 2011.

Let's be rational for a second. There is absolutely no way Shaka was on campus last weekend. He woundnt do that to his kids and there is no way this would be kept secret. People would recognize him in a second and it would have made its way to twitter/boards.

I wasn't told that it was a family trip.

Words matter. I said I was told Shaka was in town.

Ron owes Bill Self a solid - this was all planned to get Manning a raise and a smokescreen for Wellman.

Such wishful thinking. Why is a smoke screen needed? There is no other job out there that matters to our search. Go after the guy you want that has yet to tell you no. That takes us to Manning.

Any chance Bo Ryan retires if Wisky wins the NC?...or is my head just spinning from 649 pages & almost 13,000 posts?

Who is this Harry Giles fellah. I take it some really high rated recruit. Why do we keep talking as if he's like something we can conceivably get? Is he some top 5 guy that has expressed legit interest in Wake?

Who is this Harry Giles fellah. I take it some really high rated recruit. Why do we keep talking as if he's like something we can conceivably get? Is he some top 5 guy that has expressed legit interest in Wake?

He's #1 and yes. He works out with our team members often.

Giles regularly attends our games and regular works out in our facilities with our team. Make a good hire and he definitely in play. Would be a Aminu level recruiting coup.

Don't know if he's expressed interest. But he's right out our back door at HP Wesleyan.

Or Tim Tebowcenter, The Decision, Stuart Scott, First Take, SC Top 10

This draft diary was great

7:39 – We just learned that Bogut's favorite food is "soup." That choice narrowly edged "bread." Also, his father just told us that Andrew was working out with a personal trainer since he was a little kid (although it's too late to get him on Bravo's "Sports Kids Moms and Dads"). That's followed by an enjoyable interview with Bucks GM Larry Harris, who seems even more happy to be here than Ralph Macchio was on "Entourage" a few weeks ago.

(Note: Can't you see Harris showing a date this draft telecast 10 years from now? "See, I told you I ran an NBA team! Yeah, we had the first pick … I took this slow Australian guy with bad eyesight … biiiiiiiiiig mistake …")

7:42 – Picking second and needing a point guard, the Hawks grab Marvin Williams, who shattered Shane Battier's record for "Most flattering stories and comments about someone's character before an NBA draft" this summer – by the time the draft started, I was waiting to see footage of him pulling kids out of wells and delivering babies in elevators. To sum up his UPPPPPPPPside as an NBA prospect, Bilas uses phrases like, "Sky is the limit … unbelievably long … active, athletic … the real deal … the complete package … active, bouncy, athlete … really long … wingspan of about 7-foot-3 …" and then adds, "The thing that makes him special is his range as a shooter."

(Of course, nowhere in that gushing monologue was the phrase, "Couldn't start for his college team." But we'll let it slide. I like Jay Bilas. He's unbelievably long.)

7:45 – Of all people, it takes Dick Vitale (with a red background behind him) to ask the "Why the heck would the Hawks take Williams when they already have Josh Childress, Al Harrington and Josh Smith?" question. If he's the voice of reason tonight, we could be in serious trouble.

Deron gets a bonus if he is ranked in the top 5 for "blowbyability".
7:48 – Following a trade with Portland, Utah takes Deron (don't call me De-RON) Williams at No. 3. Perfect pick – with some luck, he'll be half as good as Chris Paul. Bilas sums up everyone's concerns by wondering if Deron has the "blowbyability" to get into the lane – I'm going to vote "yes" since he's 202 pounds and should end up looking like John Bagley before everything's said and done. On the bright side, Deron has the hottest girlfriend since Casey Jacobsen's girlfriend turned Craig Sager to jello in the 2002 draft.

7:49 – Stu Scott finishes his interview with Deron Williams by saying, "Mike, seven tattoos on this man, still, character – all the time, character," followed by a confused Williams staring at him in disbelief. Highlight of the draft so far.

7:54 – New Orleans happily grabs Chris Paul with the fourth pick, partly because he's the best player in the draft, partly because he's one of four people in this draft who could handle playing in New Orleans. "He will be the mayor of New Orleans!" Vitale screams. "Trust me! He will be the king of New Orleans!" Translation: He's going to hand out more beads than assists.

Meanwhile, Paul's brother CJ fondly remembers all the fights they had when they were kids – including the time Chris pulled a knife on him – adding, "it was all out of love, it was all out of love." Gotcha. CJ also reveals that he's going to live with Chris and serve as his manager and personal assistant. I can't believe he was available.

7:57 – The following exchange about the Paul pick just occurred:

– Stephen A. Smith: "If you're the New Orleans Hornets, you could pick Winnie the Pooh and you would have improved."

– Bilas (on autopilot): "Winnie The Pooh … what I like about him is that he's unbelievably long, 7-foot wingspan, bouncy, great athlete, very high basketball IQ … "

(All right, I made the second part up. But Stephen A. really did bring up Pooh.)

Back