• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Home runs are nice, but some times you need to shorten your swing, hit a nice double to the opposite field, and advance the runners.

after the last four years, you really think there were any runners on base?

In business, if you must, you take calculated risks. The risk with this hire, given the previous four seasons, is too high. The reason we are in this predicament is that we have an incompetent AD making decisions that he is no longer able to capably make.

#WellmanOUT

His first team was predicted at the bottom of the CUSA. All of the good players graduated from that 17-14 (10-6) team. Two years later they are conference champs.

They had the worst overall record among the four teams tied for first in Conference USA, a crappy conference, and they won the tournament. Neat accomplishment, but it's not like they were Wichita State.

I'm glad we had a hire that isn't a knockout one way or the other so that we could continue to have a drag out fight by the fringes claiming that it's the LOWF'ers or the Billboarders that are responsible for the current situation.

Also, (and I am venting...if he is hired I will fall in line) I absolutely HATE the way he has handled this search. He has come across as a gigantic douche angling for a raise by trying to negotiate through the media. Not a good start.

You do if you are Ron Wellman.

Not to mention this has the same f'n feeling of 4 years ago. Swinging for a big candidate, media stating it's the best job on the market, only to have Wellman pull some hire out of left field that the fan base obviously isn't happy about. Sure it's not the 90% or so that hated Bzfailure, but it's clear that were at best 50/50 on this hire. That's not the way to restore you're legacy. Congrats Ronnie boy! Legacy be damned! You showed OGBoards!

Yeah, I'm not sure why the negativity on Manning.. I get that some people had their sights set high, but Manning has been very successful his whole life. I anticipate him to be great with recruiting (Page High Alumni), a top tier big man coach and someone that has been aroung BIG TIME programs. I think that exposure can be helpful as we re create the joel and bounce back from the atrocity of the past four years.

Anybody blaming the fans for Shaka Smart not coming is completely misinformed... at best.

Manning won a share of his conference regular season and the conference tournament. Archie Miller has never finished higher than 5th in his conference. Not meant to be a dig at Miller but people seem to take him from risky to "home run" largely because his team had a hot shooting streak and won 3 games.

After four straight years of spin, this hire shouldn't require the same once the new guy steps off the plane. I am fatigued from having everything contextualized for me so pardon me for not being able to muster up the energy to give someone the benefit of the doubt. I'm tired of doubt. It's not fair to the next coach and it's not fair to the fans.

Last edited:
I'm glad we had a hire that isn't a knockout one way or the other so that we could continue to have a drag out fight by the fringes claiming that it's the LOWF'ers or the Billboarders that are responsible for the current situation.

Yep. Sigh.

ON NOTICE:

Yeah, I'm not sure why the negativity on Manning.. I get that some people had their sights set high, but Manning has been very successful his whole life. I anticipate him to be great with recruiting (Page High Alumni), a top tier big man coach and someone that has been aroung BIG TIME programs. I think that exposure can be helpful as we re create the joel and bounce back from the atrocity of the past four years.

I'm to tired not to back Manning at this point. Bring it Danny!

Also, (and I am venting...if he is hired I will fall in line) I absolutely HATE the way he has handled this search. He has come across as a gigantic douche angling for a raise by trying to negotiate through the media. Not a good start.

Totally agree. "Wake Forest has shown a great deal of interest." Seriously? If you are going to do that, be subtle about it. He is clearly playing both sides and wouldn't be the best way to start off a coaching tenure. Contrast this to Clawson, who played the entire thing like a pro and really wanted to be a Deac (I am not naive enough to believe money doesn't matter, but Manning tactics have just been crude).

It's not Negativity at Manning specifically. It's the fact that this is NOT the time to take a risk with our program. We need a big splashy hire who has a proven track record at or close to ACC level conferences. Another 4 years of failure could/would make us the 16th best job in the ACC.

Howland has a lot fewer question marks than Danny Manning.

Howland has the biggest question mark of all- Will AAU coaches in other regions treat Howland like those on the west coast are doing? M

another big -how big an asshole do you have to be to have had the #1 recruiting class in the country and then be so reviled that you are $3.5M to be run out of town?

Wellman has masterminded this abomination of a search process. Why do fans expect a home run? Because he said so - then disappeared and allowed fans' expectations to grow over two weeks.

Back