• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

As I think about things more (I apologize if this has already been posted) I think the snags the we are hitting with all candidates is coming from the recruiting front. These coaches all probably want more lax academic admission standards for the recruits and we won't budge. It may not be Wellman's call on that either. His hands could be totally tied on that.

I'm not defending Wellman, btw. Just food for thought.

I think Manning's made it into a bidding war. Hopefully he's as cold-blooded with his basketball strategy as he is with his negotiating skills.

That won't be much of a bidding war. We were paying he who shall not be named 1.4 million. Manning has been offering 1 million by Tulsa. So they are already in the hold by 40 percent.

I thought Hatch and Wellman strongly disliked eachother, and did not like being in the same room

IySZCch.gif

What if Hatch is insisting on Digger Phelps as the lead assistant and nobody is buying!

As I think about things more (I apologize if this has already been posted) I think the snags the we are hitting with all candidates is coming from the recruiting front. These coaches all probably want more lax academic admission standards for the recruits and we won't budge. It may not be Wellman's call on that either. His hands could be totally tied on that.

Bingo!

Ding Ding Ding! Hatch turned off Shaka in the interview because of his unwillingness to budge on these restrictions, and might have (praying not) just done the same thing with Manning.

We are stuck until we get some new blood. Fire the AD, you're left with Hatch. Fire Hatch, and you still have Wellman.

Ding Ding Ding! Hatch turned off Shaka in the interview because of his unwillingness to budge on these restrictions, and might have (praying not) just done the same thing with Manning.

We are stuck until we get some new blood. Fire the AD, you're left with Hatch. Fire Hatch, and you still have Wellman.

I can't imagine that hatch, knowing that wake will is largely dependent on a good hire, would deep six every reasonable coach. If others besides wellman are driving the process I am hoping hatch atleast has enough of a brain to know he can't take this stance.

I'm just floored. I still cannot believe the school that produced Tim Duncan & Chris Paul, has had 2 #1 rankings in the last 10 years, and competes in arguably historically the best conference in college basketball can't hire a decent coach. I knew Wellman fucked us up by hiring [Redacted], but never imagined it would hit this level.

Agreed.

I hope we arent throwing a ton of money at him. But, when the search began, money wasn't going to be an issue. Probably academic issues

I really doubt Wellman is having as much luck getting big commitments from donors for Danny fucking Manning as he was for Shaka Smart.

Whatever happened to Howland? He didn't go to Marquette and now he isn't coming here. I'd prefer him over Manning for sure.

As crazy as it sounds, some of blame is at the feet of the faculty here. I guess that ultimately comes back to Hatch, but the bottom line is that 5 star recruits with 4.0 GPA's don't exactly grow on trees. Until the university as a whole puts an increased emphasis on athletics, were pretty much fucked.

We're waiting for the day that athletes are paid so we can join the Magnolia League.

Back