• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Yes, I don't know many people who would see Manning as a better option than Howland.

I remember Baby saying Ron liked Howland, which is why I am confused about him never panning out. Maybe we are basically shooting ourselves in the foot and the AD is saying to all these coaches that they must recruit 4 year players and cannot go after NBA level talent. If we are, we'll never get a good coach to come here and never compete in the ACC.

Manning wouldn't come here if we said that.

You can go to any board and find pro and anti posts about any coach. Most Tulsa fans think he has done a good job.

Yeah, Wojcik had plateaued/declined before Manning got there. I recall Wojcik being a name for us last time around. On a side note, Tulsa has a very impressive list of former coaches.

As crazy as it sounds, some of blame is at the feet of the faculty here. I guess that ultimately comes back to Hatch, but the bottom line is that 5 star recruits with 4.0 GPA's don't exactly grow on trees. Until the university as a whole puts an increased emphasis on athletics, were pretty much fucked.

We also have the issue around Juco/Transfers as well that people forget about. Wake hardly takes any transfer credits from other schools (or any that cover divisionals at least), so there is a decent chance that any player that comes in will basically lose a year.

Also, for what it's worth I've seen Wake's admissions standards for athletes (and particularly Basketball and Football), and while harder than a lot of other schools, they're not exactly what anyone would ever consider strenuous. Any player who can't even meet Wake's reduced athletic standards has no reason to ever set foot on Wake's campus. There is zero chance that they would ever pass without us pulling some UNC stuff. So any coach who doesn't think they can win under without Wake reducing our standards, obviously isn't the right guy. Because Clawson, Grobe, and Skip all thought we could.

I know this will piss some people off, but if we don't land Manning I bet we sign Russell Turner. That is,if as many coaches turned us down as people are saying.

No AD anywhere is telling a coach that they can't go after NBA talent.

What they may be saying is that the players that are brought in will be expected to go to class and make good grades. Those are two completely different things.

What they may be saying is that the players that are brought in will be expected to go to class and make good grades. Those are two completely different things.

This.

Also, this board has become almost comical.

Is Danny Manning as good as Shaka Smart? Of course not, and nobody here (or anywhere) thinks he is.

Ron Wellman has hurt this program a lot with the hiring of Jeff [name redacted]. He tried to make up for it this time by going after Shaka and a couple of other big names, but whiffed. I'm pretty sure that he failed to realize the extent of how much Wake fell over the past four years until now. He made his bed and he has to lay in it.

Manning will be a fine coach for us. In all likelihood he will stabilize us and bring in good talent.

Be mad at RW all you want because it is deserved, 10x over, but don't be mad at Danny Manning before he even sets foot on this campus. He can, and in my opinion will, help us get back to where we want and need to be.

haha moon hitting the sauce hard on consecutive nights

The way this has gone down I feel like the first glimpse of success manning has is going to mean we have guns to our heads every April wondering if he is going to leave.

High risk high reward means you get a coach that's unproven but values the opportunity that a wake forest has given them. His forbid manning is successful here...every year is going to be like the Arkansas scare with grobe and the Pitt scare with skip.

Freaking skip. I was sad when we lost him but I never though we would miss him this much.

Well given Manning asked Tulsa to lessen their academic standards, not to mention his reliance on JuCos, shouldn't that give those who are supportive of Wake's stance cause for concern?

Be mad at RW all you want because it is deserved, 10x over, but don't be mad at Danny Manning before he even sets foot on this campus. He can, and in my opinion will, help us get back to where we want and need to be.

I think Danny manning violated a common rule of decency by telling the press we were interested. That was an aggressive move that limited our options. He comes in with a credibility gap in my eyes.

Well given Manning asked Tulsa to lessen their academic standards, not to mention his reliance on JuCos, shouldn't that give those who are supportive of Wake's stance cause for concern?

There should be level for concern there, but once again, there is a big difference in letting in student-athletes who shouldn't be here, and requiring that those who get in be good student-athletes.

Manning will be a fine coach for us. In all likelihood he will stabilize us and bring in good talent.
And this is based on what? His NBA experience? You think that will translate into recruits? Isiah Thomas was a far more famous NBA player and turned out to be a complete flop as a coach. Manning has been a head coach for two years. Two years! There is not enough there to say whether or not he will be successful.

I think Danny manning violated a common rule of decency by telling the press we were interested. That was an aggressive move that limited our options. He comes in with a credibility gap in my eyes.

You can be upset if you want to, but of all the things that could leave you with a scarred opinion of him coming in, you are choosing this?

You're like Jerry Seinfeld turning down the women that he is dating because of absurdly high standards.

Yeah, Isiah Thomas was 50 times the NBA celeb Danny Manning was. Didn't seem to help him when it came to recruiting at Florida International.

..also didn't help that the school prez butchered his name when introducing him as the new coach....things went downhill from the gitgo....

Hell, if I had known the criteria for head coach at wake forest was being a big man with little to no head coaching experience. And the only real qualifier was that you had to be better than bz we should have just hired fucking Chas McFarland. Then we could really watch this dumpster fire circus burn. Then at least it would be humorous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back