• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Come on, Danny Manning was a pretty good NBA player

True. A 30 year old was 10 when Manning had his one All-Star season and 19 when he retired.

True. A 30 year old was 10 when Manning had his one All-Star season and 19 when he retired.

I'm 30 and probably know way too many random 90s NBA players, but Manning was pretty good

Yet people continue to trust this fool and believe the delusional notion that RW is extremely valuable because of a bunch of outdated bullshit claims.

Well this is what I was asking. WHO trusts him? Every Wake person I talk to either thinks he's a wrecking ball or has no opinion (or even name-recognition) of him because they don't follow sports. It's just completely bewildering.

I'm 30 and probably know way too many random 90s NBA players, but Manning was pretty good

Yeah. I'm 37 and know way too many random 80s players. Most of the fanbase isn't like us.

Well this is what I was asking. WHO trusts him? Every Wake person I talk to either thinks he's a wrecking ball or has no opinion (or even name-recognition) of him because they don't follow sports. It's just completely bewildering.

Big donors?

Big donors?

And Hatch, evidently. I am not sure why since, if you listen to Wellman, he oversaw the disintegration of the basketball program's culture to a point where it was compromising the University's integrity to the point and required 3 years in the purgatory to return to even a winning season.

That seems pretty damning to me, but then Hatch can't even remember the name of the university that sends him a six figure check every month.

People won't admit it, but it is when it hinders sports performance.

Hoopla, have you gotten a sense that the BOT/donors might take this one out of Wellman's hands? Or, any chance that RW is just trying to pressure some of the money folks into pledging more support for a bigger hire?

This mess has completely spiraled out of control. If Manning passes, everyone is going to have egg. This could have been completely avoided. The deep pocket folks are going to insist some sort of direct involvement. No idea how that could happen but my dad and his pals have direct access to RW (who most don't like). The power of the pen/checkbook. If they think those numbers are down, they have another thing coming. FWIW, Pops and his crew want Howland.

Big donors?

Wow. Maybe he has some kind of charm in person. I graduated just before RW & I'm in DC so except for one or two alum events, I've just seen him on TV. I've always thought he was totally lacking in charisma. And I've spent many hours monitoring Congress on C-SPAN. But what do I know. I'm certainly not a wealthy donor.

Kids who seriously want to go to the NBA know a lot about the NBA and past players. Parents(fathers)and coaches of current recruits know who Danny Manning is. Kids are only a Wikipedia article and YouTube clip away from catching up with Danny Mannings entire pro career. Your crazy if you don't think that Mannings championship rings and stories of playing with Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc. don't play on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
And Hatch, evidently. I am not sure why since, if you listen to Wellman, he oversaw the disintegration of the basketball program's culture to a point where it was compromising the University's integrity to the point and required 3 years in the purgatory to return to even a winning season.

That seems pretty damning to me, but then Hatch can't even remember the name of the university that sends him a six figure check every month.

Sad but true.

This mess has completely spiraled out of control. If Manning passes, everyone is going to have egg. This could have been completely avoided. The deep pocket folks are going to insist some sort of direct involvement. No idea how that could happen but my dad and his pals have direct access to RW (who most don't like). The power of the pen/checkbook. If they think those numbers are down, they have another thing coming. FWIW, Pops and his crew want Howland.

what is with stubbornness in regards to the academic standards?! bc I can't see this being a RW thing

#PopsandhiscrewIn #swagger #moxy

I have not seen this info on this thread. But then I'm struggling to keep up...

Given the Wellman/Hatch "culture" claims, it's hard to believe that Manning is a serious candidate.

Well does the culture bullshit get thrown out the window now, God I hope Dan writes something about

A. How his negotiations with Tulsa included letting them reduce their "tough elite academic restrictions" to let him compete better in the AAC

B. How this year one of his players was publicly accused of rape and suspended from the team
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...jr-tulsa-golden-hurricane-investigated-police

Last edited:
I am a casual NBA fan under 30 and I had no idea who Danny Manning was before he was mentioned for this job. Unless he does really well as a coach I doubt many 18 year olds will either.

You don't know who Danny Manning is? Yo, young brah dumbass, Google "Bill Russell" while you're at it.

Fucking Christ.

The strongest message that Hatch, the BoT and the university could send that LOWF is over and we are serious about excellence in every aspect of Wake Forest is to "retire" Wellman ASAP, get a serious AD and then search for a winner basketball coach. Appoint one of the current assistants as interim - caretaker - head coach in the meantime.

Google 1982 NCAA Champions.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Back