• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

While WF is a better job than BC, BC's hire of Jim Christian (2 NCAA appearanaces in 12 years of coaching; fired by TCU just 2 years ago) is evidence that this is a tough market. Successful coaches generally do not want to leave where they are. Particularly, in a day and age where conferences like the A-10 get as many bids as teams from traditional power conferences.

While WF is a better job than BC, BC's hire of Jim Christian (2 NCAA appearanaces in 12 years of coaching; fired by TCU just 2 years ago) is evidence that this is a tough market. Successful coaches generally do not want to leave where they are. Particularly, in a day and age where conferences like the A-10 get as many bids as teams from traditional power conferences.

Meanwhile, the VT hire is evidence of the opposite.

Visual evidence of the meeting going down...I think now I can confirm Carl Weathers is going to be an assistant coach #scoop

I'm sure it isn't surprising that the meeting is taking place at a Burger King.

10174932_10203690114438816_1674805818_n.jpg

Visual evidence of the meeting going down...I think now I can confirm Carl Weathers is going to be an assistant coach #scoop

Ken Jeong is on the staff too. He was in the head when this picture was taken.

Plichard is definitely right, in general. Marquette struggled through candidates before hiring an assistant. BC couldn't get anyone to go there. Washington St. had to hire a pretty crappy retread. Cal's list is ugly.

Buzz was kind of a weird one-off situation where he was unhappy with his University despite succeeding. But it certainly does appear that getting mid major coaches to move is getting harder and harder.

Plichard is definitely right, in general. Marquette struggled through candidates before hiring an assistant. BC couldn't get anyone to go there. Washington St. had to hire a pretty crappy retread. Cal's list is ugly.

Buzz was kind of a weird one-off situation where he was unhappy with his University despite succeeding. But it certainly does appear that getting mid major coaches to move is getting harder and harder.

Relative to these hires, give me Manning all day.

Relative to the pipe dream of Shaka, it seems like a bit of a let down. But the reality is the hires that have taken place this season.

It would be fascinating to know who contacted us or had their representatives contact us to express interest in the job.

Lol at UH. Hiring James Dickey before and now Kelvin Sampson. They clearly couldn't care less about possible NCAA sanctions.

Who's next, Dave Bliss?

He's going to be their AD.....their biggest sponsor is a bail bondsman.

When everyone close to the search says Shaka is dead, it's dead.

When everyone close to the search says Manning is going to be our next coach, he's going to be our next coach.

Meanwhile, the VT hire is evidence of the opposite.

May just be the exception rather than the rule.

The hires have been:

Virginia Tech - Buzz Williams
Marquette - Wojo
Boston College - Jim Christian
Wake Forest - Danny Manning

I think Wake probably has the second best hire of four, behind Buzz Williams. Wake was not going to extend Buzz an offer for a variety of reasons though so I think that's a non-starter to say that we should have gotten him. I do think that this turned out not to be as good a market has there has been in the past.

I wonder if the chick to the left ever got busy in a Burger King bathroom?

If it's in fact a done deal, he will probably tell his players when he gets back to Tulsa...it will leak from Tulsa's end.

Wake doesn't have their AD around so they won't call a press conference, and we're not going to just put out a release to tell the world we hired a new coach while Ron is gone and before Manning can tell his team.

I bet it just slowly leaks out that there's a players meeting scheduled and that leaks will come out about the content of it later. I wouldn't be shocked if there is media stuff tonight about it.

The reason I'm skeptical about it being a 100% done deal is that generally this would be the timeline that Goodman or someone tweets about things being finalized.

He will have a "The Decision sponsored by Burger King(r)" on basic Tulsa cable this Sunday night

FWIW, the plane has taken off, the is scheduled fly to Arlington, TX.. Perhaps, they are dropping off the fam in Tulsa, then joining the party in Texas as originally reported.

I think the issue with the Burger King stuff isn't that he has an endorsement deal but how mickeymouse it is in its execution. Sports figures endorse products. Who cares as long as it's not lame or cheesy?

Back