• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

In fact I'd be willing to wager Wellman used all his cards, a CP3/Duncan call, and a "hey we have a black Maya too" awkward card, but Shaka ultimately realized that going to Wake, on average, would cost him close to 10 million dollars over his lifetime, so its not worth the risk.

That would be a pretty pussy mentality for someone who is allegedly a flat out winner. Why not look at it as making an extra $15-20MM? It's only a risk if you're not capable of handling the challenge.

I can't believe "the decision" as it pertains to us is whether we can steal Tulsas head coach who is barely above .500 and for who we are outbidding Tulsa by 50 to 80 pct
And this information comes from whom? Someone who knows more than dick?

Wellman really must be fired. Hopefully Manning works out well next year so Wellman can resign.

I posted last night that I heard we moved from shaka to manning fairly quick and got slammed by one or two guys. To clarify I am quite disappointed by the manning route largely because it says that either our AD sucks or we are a much less attractive job than I thought. My point on it was that whatever vetting of other candidates that may or may not have happened resulted in us jumping to manning fairly quick. Same source said that the Howland holdup is because of "dirty recruiting" which I read to mean he recruits players that may not look like central casting wake kids lounging on the mag quad. So to be clear I am not happy with where the search is largely because this job now sucks because whoever comes in has a serious rebuilding job in a much tougher conference with an administration that have decided to act like asshats about "culture".

It is both. I had some eye opening conversations with a NCAA coach this week. Those guys really think that Wake is not an attractive job at all. In fact, being in the new ACC (something we think of as a selling point) is killing us. The word is out that you will be hamstrung by more stringent admissions, battling UNC-ch and Duke for the same recruits, a dysfunctional administration and a team that has spent four years in the crapper. We can hear all the stories we want about Mrs Smart not liking Winston-Salem but the real reason Shaka turned us down is because of the reasons stated. Those are also the reasons that we are now in a bidding war with Tulsa for Manning. It is a hard reality but this is not an attractive job and 95% is self-imposed.

Breaking News:
VCU HC Shaka Smart accepts open vacancy at Wake Forest after meeting with OGB members. This comes after last nights news of Ron Wellman being fired and Dave Odom taking his place as AD. Shaka Smart has signed a 10year deal worth $35,000,000 and will also become the mayor of Winston Salem. Upon hearing this news, Harry Giles committed to Wake Forest on the spot along with 4 other 5-star HS juniors. The only question now is, when will Wake Forest win the National Championship?

Here is a little fake scoop for ya. On Pardon the interrupt last night, speculation is that the constant pressure in Lexington, KY is getting to Caliparia , He is stepping down after final 4. But he still wants to coach. Give him 3.5 mil. The hell with culture. Then Shaka can go get burnt out at UK.

The PM that palma posted last night.
So just this info

First off like 10 people on the boards are pming this shit and im negrepping each of you

Dv7
Say hey
94deac
Wvudeac
Iappreciateit

And others.. There are others. In my life i have accumulated a certain set of skills. A set of skills very dangerous to people like you.

So we went balls to the wall shaka, but eventually he turned us down. Had all of the alums call, wine and dine. Ultimately he liked vcu

Mike white said he wasnt ready and needed more time. Archie miller turned us down. Mack and howland never considered for cultute.

Rest of list was manning and wojo

And our "highly respected people we consult with" was of course gdo

Discuss things freely, bitches. Pm my ass

This reminds me of when I first joined the Scout board. Odom was toast. Everyone was clamoring for Pelphrey or Few. I brought up Frank Johnson, and was immediately trashed.

RJ now claims that he brought up Skip. That probably happened before I joined.

When the Skip to Pittsburgh shit happened, I didn't believe a word of it, and manned the island of sanity. Pulled an all-nighter with very few posters, and we proved to be right, revisionist history from golf course architects notwithstanding.

Point is, nothing on this board means jackshit. It's all speculation, not unlike it used to be.

If you haven't figured out by now that RJ makes a LOT of shit up...

word on the other board is that he is officially accepted.

And this information comes from whom? Someone who knows more than dick?

Media outlets have reported Tulsa offered Manning $1.2 million, more money for his assistants, and agreed to weaken their academic standards to make it easier for him to recruit. They're also reporting Wake offered around $2 million.

I think it's a done deal. Must be a short fence. Little league distance maybe?

Serious question....What was Roy Williams salary again?

It is both. I had some eye opening conversations with a NCAA coach this week. Those guys really think that Wake is not an attractive job at all. In fact, being in the new ACC (something we think of as a selling point) is killing us. The word is out that you will be hamstrung by more stringent admissions, battling UNC-ch and Duke for the same recruits, a dysfunctional administration and a team that has spent four years in the crapper. We can hear all the stories we want about Mrs Smart not liking Winston-Salem but the real reason Shaka turned us down is because of the reasons stated. Those are also the reasons that we are now in a bidding war with Tulsa for Manning. It is a hard reality but this is not an attractive job and 95% is self-imposed.

So we can pretty much thank Hatch for all of this, huh?

27 wins and 28 losses- that was Manning's record 2 months ago. His team then went on a nice winning streak beating the following heavy hitters until they lost to UCLA 76-59:
Rice, East Carolina, Old Dominion, Florida Atlantic, FIU, UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Tulane, Middle TN, La Tech

This is the coach that Wake feels is worth $2 million per year, someone who was under .500 in a shitty conference a couple months ago. There are other aspects of this hire that should give one pause for concern. It's a bad hire, especially when proven big time winners like Ben Howland are out there.

Back