• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Mundy Out OverThePylon In

a lot of people would feel like i am lowf....

but mundy's opinions disgusts me

Last edited:
Here's the serious thing with Mundy/some of the "new" Blogger So Dear, for me at least: he seems to want to run an old media operation on a new media platform. Much of the initial appeal of BSD was providing sharp, thoughtful analysis from the perspective of a fan - it was a blog run by fans for fans, and never pretended to be something else. We already had Dan Collins and the WSJ to provide old media analysis and perspective. We already had the athletic department to disseminate news and spew (terrible) (amateur hour) propaganda. BSD filled a critical need, a smarter, leaner version of what message boards can (but often don't) accomplish.

In a nutshell, when Jake and Sloth ran Blogger So Dear, it was actual new media as practiced across the globe in the 21st century.

Mundy comes in, and thinks he's Grantland Rice or something. A lot more regurgitation of press releases/gameday magazine-type stuff, which is a thing that needs to be done, but it was already being done elsewhere - thus making much of BSD's output derivative. Now, BSD still provides some new media stuff, like Numbers' "Couldn't Be Happier" column, but it's lost some of its appeal with less and less of that, and I say that as both a reader and someone who posted a few pieces there when Sloth was in charge.

Couple all that with Mundy's overtly hostile attitude toward the fan base and this board, the animosity was inevitable.

I remember when BSD used to get threatened with having their credentials taken away when anything resembling a negative post went up. The AD was full of shit, of course, even those clowns knew the backlash for stripping credentials from a little blog run by recent grads wasn't worth it. But the mere fact the threat was being levied meant that BSD was doing something new, something distinct. They were speaking truth to power, or at least was willing to do so when they deemed it necessary. That shit isn't ever going to happen with Mundy running the blog now, from what I've gathered, and that's a shame. The Wake Forest sports scene needs less parroting for access, not more.

Last edited:
We did win honorable mention ACC media story of the year for having our creds taken away after we hired Bz. Good times.

And I think Irish's post above is a good one, although I still try to push the experienced BSD guys to write the opinion articles and we have Mundy stick to writing the standard quotes and stats Dan Collins- like pieces. I will say that no one has stopped us from writing any opinion pieces and I think we still do a pretty good job there. We have just started covering more events now from the traditional standpoint and it probably makes the opinion ones harder to find.

I have differing opinions than some of our other leadership about access. I don't think it's important at all for what we are trying to do, which I believe is more analysis and opinions rather than trying to break stories and write recaps with quotes.

So that's what I think about the situation, honestly. I have not written a whole lot in a long time as a result of my career and other priorities. I just stick to tweeting a lot and basketball recruiting.

What good is access if all you're going to do with it is get boiler plate, bullshit quotes? If I want that then I can just go to WakeForestSports.com How about when Ron Wellman talks about how hiring a football coach won't be a rushed progress you push back and ask him how that contrasts with the process that took place in April of 2010?

is it Mundy who wants to go with stupid boilerplate traditional stuff or is that a directive down from SB Nation to drive traffic?

is it Mundy who wants to go with stupid boilerplate traditional stuff or is that a directive down from SB Nation to drive traffic?

I've never been the one that has the contact with the upper SBN guys, but I would be surprised if they tried to micromanage like that. We've had some ridiculously weird features in the past and they never said anything to my knowledge. Overall I think they just want plenty of content and don't care what type it is. Just my opinion though.

I get that Wake has a small fanbase and the difference between being an alum and a fan doesn't really matter but it's one thing to be a fan and a whole other thing to talk down to alumni of a school you could never sniff.

It doesn't matter if Mundy went to Wake as far as writing articlea. I definitely agree he needs to stop with the condescension toward the fanbase. Goes for Dan Collins, too. I wonder what he thinks about that "if you want Lobo gone, you want Grobe gone, too" column.

One more thing. Did Rickman put Mundy in charge because the rest of the staff were young guys getting their careers off the ground so they didn't have as much time as a loser like Mundy.

What does Mundy do for a living? Surely he doesn't just write for BSD, right?

I have differing opinions than some of our other leadership about access. I don't think it's important at all for what we are trying to do, which I believe is more analysis and opinions rather than trying to break stories and write recaps with quotes.

So that's what I think about the situation, honestly. I have not written a whole lot in a long time as a result of my career and other priorities. I just stick to tweeting a lot and basketball recruiting.

Is there even a market for the bolded when it comes to wake forest athletics?

I get that Wake has a small fanbase and the difference between being an alum and a fan doesn't really matter but it's one thing to be a fan and a whole other thing to talk down to alumni of a school you could never sniff.

All while repeatedly saying he isn't a fan either, so why the fuck are you here.

People bring in Mundy to speak for the fanbase. Otherwise he'd be another harmless bad blogger.

There's no market for breaking stories and quotes about Wake sports. If there was, more than one paper would do it and that paper would actually want the beat writer to attend games instead of blowing leaves.

I wonder if Dan feels like crap for blowing leaves at the beginning of Grobe's last game. I'm still pissed out that. It shows so much laziness. The football team is wrapping up the season in Nashville and the inside guy had no clue Grobe was on his way out. The basketball team had its first test of the season over 4 days in the Bahamas and Collins wasn't at either. Grobe called him up after the game to give him a few quotes. Donut Dan didn't even have to leave the couch.

What there is a market for is somebody with a football background to do in-depth breakdowns of each game and somebody with a basketball background to do in-depth breakdowns of a game a week or so.

Who is the former Wake football player who had/has a blog? I've only read his stuff when it was linked here, but he'd be a good start.

There's also a market for investigative reporting around Wake sports.

Last edited:
Mike Hoag works for EA Sports and is pretty happy doing that. I'll send him a message that PhDeac has requested that he answer the call of duty

Back