• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Mundy Out OverThePylon In

Was just given this nugget to share from the press conference.

Our boy Mundy just introduced himself to Casstevens, thinking he was Clawson. Was hilariously awkward. Randy just froze.

amazing

Because we're playing...since is not synonymous.

This is fun

Purists hate that, but since and because have similar contemporary usage. Since typically gives an added sense of "What follows I assume you already know."

"Since asbestos causes lung disease, avoid it."

And it's not just contemporary!

"Since that my beautie cannot please his eie,
Ile weepe what's left away."
--Shakespeare, The Comedy of Errors

Here's a nice blog post: http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/using-since/

COME AT ME BRO!

Mundy, I don't read your blog so I don't give a shit if you run it or not. However, I don't like you speaking for the Wake Forest fanbase in the news. You can kiss up to the AD in your free time. The Wake fanbase is solidly #BuzzOut.

I think we all understand that language is malleable, even Mundy. Citing Shakespeare (famous for playing with proper use of then-modern English because of that whole rhyming couplet thing) and a random blog hosted by WordPress ain't adding much. 20 seconds of Googling could yield a blog post defending the figurative use of "literally." So what?

Also, the whole grammar nerd fight started over this: "You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition." Which is true, not because it's a grammatical rule, but because it's sloppy, lazy writing. A subjective determination, for sure, but I'd guess most here would agree, though examples to the contrary can be cited.

Finally, I remain unconvinced that I should read a regurgitation of Orwell's essay that's twice as long, though I'm all for clarity and grace, both in subtitles and in text.

Last edited:
in summary you wouldn't find discussion like this on a nc state board

Also, the whole grammar nerd fight started over this: "You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition." Which is true, not because it's a grammatical rule, but because it's sloppy, lazy writing. A subjective determination, for sure, but I'd guess most here would agree, though examples to the contrary can be cited.

Pft, no. The only reason to adhere to this rule is because everyone else thinks it's a rule. That's it.

Poor writing is poor writing no matter the rules.

To TexasDeac's point, writing rules are more like pirate law (guidelines) than hard decrees, but poor writing can only be identified with the framework of rules to guide us as readers of language.

Dude, you no-showed to a fight with Racer that YOU SET UP. You're not allowed to call other people twits. It's like, Internet law.

Here's a post you made the other day with a sentence ending in a preposition. Looks like you're burning the very framework of modern communication to cinders. TO CINDERS.

Here's a post you made the other day with a sentence ending in a preposition. Looks like you're burning the very framework of modern communication to cinders. TO CINDERS.

Being a hypocrite doesn't make me wrong! Also, I was arguing with Lectro.

Well, it makes you silly at the very least. There's nothing wrong with saying "you no-showed to a fight that you set up."

Back