• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Nerd MLB Thread

Not a fan of no walks.

They've been crushing the strike-zone against him. He's been very patient with only 3 Ks in 22 PAs. I can actually speak abut his performance from more than a boxscore now!!!! HOORAY MILB.TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They've been crushing the strike-zone against him. He's been very patient with only 3 Ks in 22 PAs. I can actually speak abut his performance from more than a boxscore now!!!! HOORAY MILB.TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That does add some extra insight. Have an average pitches per AB?

Hey baseball nerds (not derogatory, I greatly envy your knowledge), can someone breakdown the advanced metrics on Freddie Freeman, offensive and defensive, so I can get a better feel of how good (or potentially lucky) he has actually been this season? Comparisons and future projections would be awesome as well. Thanks!

That does add some extra insight. Have an average pitches per AB?

Nah, but it's high. In the game Friday night I believe it was he saw 5 pitches every AB even getting in some holes looking early. Seems really comfortable hitting behind in the count.

Nah, but it's high. In the game Friday night I believe it was he saw 5 pitches every AB even getting in some holes looking early. Seems really comfortable hitting behind in the count.

Sounds promising. Still has probably 13 months (at least 11) before ever having a chance at seeing the majors so hopefully this is just good signs of what's to come.

You are in for a treat kids, updated farm system rankings AND top 50 coming out today!

I don't like doing positional rankings. Where do you put a guy who's playing SS but probably won't end up there (but has a nonzero chance)?

Hey baseball nerds (not derogatory, I greatly envy your knowledge), can someone breakdown the advanced metrics on Freddie Freeman, offensive and defensive, so I can get a better feel of how good (or potentially lucky) he has actually been this season? Comparisons and future projections would be awesome as well. Thanks!

So far his defensive ratings are whack, but that means very little to me. He seems like a good/decent defender which I value more at this point as a 1B with less than a full season. 1B especially one can improve at D for a while. I doubt his range will ever be great, but he seems to be able to pick it.

As far as his hitting components, there's a lot to like. His Iso is really good for a young hitter suggesting that he has the power to play the position long term, and his BB% and K% are good for a rookie. His HR/FB% doesn't look crazy which helps to justify teh good Iso and give you the ability to dream on him getting more powerful. There's definitely a lot to like with out much to jump on as obviously lucky.

Not good defensively but not a big enough sample. I can tell from watching that he does not move/react well enough to his right side.

I don't like doing positional rankings. Where do you put a guy who's playing SS but probably won't end up there (but has a nonzero chance)?

You weigh taht in to their rating. My SS ranking goes 2 deep: BEX and HJL!

He leads all NL rookies in batting average and runs batted in. I think he is a future Gold Glover defensively. The guy can really pick it over there.

I know it is tough to resist when you have that in your back pocket but it's all about timing.

god another dinger for ellsbury, i never thought hed have this kinda power.

So far his defensive ratings are whack, but that means very little to me. He seems like a good/decent defender which I value more at this point as a 1B with less than a full season. 1B especially one can improve at D for a while. I doubt his range will ever be great, but he seems to be able to pick it.

Freeman is probably a below-average defender -- negative this year on UZR and +/-, and negative TZ ratings every single minor league season.

First top 50 prospects (and 10 HM). Hopefully I didn't forget anyone.

Code:
Rank	Org.	Name
1	LAA	Mike Trout
2	WAS	Bryce Harper
3	BAL	Manny Machado
4	TB	Matt Moore
5	WAS	Anthony Rendon
6	ARI	Trevor Bauer
7	STL	Shelby Miller
8	CIN	Devin Mesoraco
9	TEX	Jurickson Profar
10	COL	Drew Pomeranz