• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL (Non-Drone) RISE OF THE ROBOTS Thread

They have had stories out here about the Google cars a couple of times.

One of fun "future of cars" things that used to be brought up was programming where you were going before getting on a freeway, turnpike, interstate and then having your car automatically hooked into a conveyor belt in the road that took you to where you were going. It would move at the speed limit.

Autonomous highways strike me as much less efficient than autonomous cars.

Yeah, what happens if there is power outage or someone wants to change exits?

Think of the nightmare of building and maintaining it.

I'd much rather have George Jetson's briefcase car.

Yeah, what happens if there is power outage or someone wants to change exits?

Think of the nightmare of building and maintaining it.

I'd much rather have George Jetson's briefcase car.

Briefcase cars probably aren't attractive. The big advantage is there's no need for on-site parking, but that's not a problem with self-driving cars. They can go pick up another passenger somewhere else or go to a depot (car share services should end up being the winning medium here). And then there'd be a lot of moving parts and wear and tear from folding up all the time.

Plus when Elroy uses it to play fetch with Astro lots of things can go wrong.

dmcheat, I'm going to send a drone to your house if you don't start talking about cyborgs and stop talking about drones/UAVs.

ok ok chill guys, i just wasn;t payin attention. it was an honest mistake.

that wasn't a uav btw...

i would read the abbreviated version of the unibombers manifesto... though a sociopath, he has through provoking, even legit, arguments about inherent dangers in technology, as they apply today and in the near future, not 200 years from now.

Or you could just read Bradbury or any number of SciFi writers if you didn't want to listen to a sociopath.

i don't do sci-fi. unibomber was talking about reality as it is now, not a fiction, or at least not intended as one.

Back