• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

Sometimes incompetence and bias go together. Perhaps you have not noticed. But then why would you? You also failed to notice that there were ethical issues there as well

This perfectly describes the actions of Breitbart.

I'd make a wager that 95+% of your links are Breitbart and extreme right sources. I wouldn't be surprised if Breitbart is 90% of your links.

On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I used Daily Kos. Hell, I can't the last time anyone used them. But you don't give any respect to anyone that isn't extreme RW.

How much do you want to bet? Put your money where your mouth is.

Fake News is to some degree completely new. The idea that a story is fabricated whole cloth to make a buck is mostly new.

One of the reasons that Fake News is out there is that the mainstream news abdicated their professionalism. We had discussion earlier this year about how the media should treatTrump. Some of you felt they should go full force against to expose him as a fraud. The problem with that approach is that the main casualty would be the press itself.

The mainstream media has had some degree of bias for a long time. It got much worse in 2008 where it openly cheered for Obama. It finally lost most of the rest of its credibility during this past election by becoming openly hostile to the Republican candidate.

Fake news should be easy enough to spot and avoid. The harder part is finding intelligent unbiased news sources.

Sometimes incompetence and bias go together. Perhaps you have not noticed. But then why would you? You also failed to notice that there were ethical issues there as well

I filed that under incompetence. I made a quick tapatalk post, not a long break down.

Unethical behavior isn't biased either.

I filed that under incompetence. I made a quick tapatalk post, not a long break down.

Unethical behavior isn't biased either.

my point was about general problems in journalism that call for caution, bias is just one of them, so, I don't know why you want to keep harping on bias in relation to the events I listed

In general, I think journalistic incompetence, bias, and lack ethics are different issues but they can all be part of any given story or particular behavior by journalists.

my point was about general problems in journalism that call for caution, bias is just one of them, so, I don't know why you want to keep harping on bias in relation to the events I listed

In general, I think journalistic incompetence, bias, and lack ethics are different issues but they can all be part of any given story or particular behavior by journalists.

We are talking about bias. That's the topic. Of course I would assume you're talking about bias.

Another thought on all of this - Democrats are hardly the only people calling bullshit on the whole "mainstream media is completely biased and therefore should not be trusted" narrative. Several prominent conservative voices are admitting their own role in bringing us to the abyss where no one trusts actual journalists. Here's an interview with Charlie Sykes, a prominent conservative talk show host in Wisconsin:

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/20/49458...ative-gatekeeper-finds-himself-on-the-margins

Sykes finds himself wondering how the conservative movement he belonged to could have chosen Trump as its leader. In part, he blames himself for not recognizing signs from his own audience, which he says has grown "more intolerant of views outside of their particular world view" over the last decade.

It's a reality that has, on occasion, played out live on air:

Sykes said he's noticed listeners becoming increasingly dogmatic in their rejection of mainstream sources of information and simple facts. They've increasingly cited sources like InfoWars, a show launched by radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. Listeners have quickly dismissed any attempt to correct misinformation, especially if his source for those challenges are sources like The New York Times or The Washington Post.

"Rather than ... saying 'Well, thank you for correcting that,' many people actually pushed back, and said, 'Well, no, the source you're citing comes from the mainstream media," Sykes said. "We've been conditioned over the years not to take anything the mainstream is saying seriously, at all.'"

This leaves Sykes wondering whether he and others in conservative media helped created an environment in which a Trump nomination was possible.

"Maybe we have been undone by our success a little bit," Sykes says. "At some point, we went from being the counterweight to creating our own alternative reality."

Last edited:
Duh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here are a few more:

"What it became, essentially, was they were preaching this is the only place you can get news. This is the only place you can trust. All other media outlets are lying to you. So you need to come to us," said Ted Newton, president of Gravity Strategic Communications and former communications adviser to 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

"And so in an attempt to capture an audience, they almost made them slaves to those news outlets. So there is a whole group of people who will only watch Fox, who will only read Breitbart. And they are living in a bubble," he added.

"We have reached the bizarro-world point where, for all intents and purposes, conservatives are RINOs," said John Ziegler, a nationally syndicated conservative talk show host who called Andrew Breitbart a friend. "There is no place now for real conservatives. We've also reached the point, I say, we've left the gravitational pull of the rational Earth, where we are now in a situation where facts don't matter, truth doesn't matter, logic doesn't matter."

Newton echoed that sentiment.

"You look at someone who a few cycles might have been derided as a right-wing lunatic, now they aren't conservative enough," he said. "People who were darlings of the conservative movement are now RINOs. I consider myself a fairly conservative person on most issues, and you wouldn't believe the kind of hate that is being spewed at me on Twitter. The pendulum has definitely swung."

Further evidence that Russia is trying to fuck with us.

From LA Times:

"California gained an embassy in Russia last weekend, at least in the eyes of those who have promised to seek a statewide vote on secession, nicknamed "Calexit," in 2018.

Louis Marinelli, a San Diego resident who is the leader of the group promoting an effort to turn the state into an independent country , organized the Moscow event that was publicized on social media."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-say-they-ve-opened-1482187671-htmlstory.html

So who the hell is this guy?

From Bloomberg:

"As president of Yes California, Marinelli is organizing a statewide referendum on independence to be held in 2019—if he can collect half a million signatures by next fall. He runs the secession movement from 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) away while teaching English at a language school in Yekaterinburg. He is preparing the ground for an “embassy of California” in Moscow, with the help of a vehemently anti-American group supported by the Kremlin. The avatar on his professional Facebook page shows him posing in front of the Voskresenskiye Gates that open onto Red Square."

"As for Russia’s internal affairs, Marinelli said “every country has corruption and skeletons in the closet.” Like the American president-elect he largely deplores, he admires Putin, who “knows what to do in order to make his country great again.”

I’d like to meet him someday,” Marinelli said. “With the Russian and Californian flags behind us, perhaps.”"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ia-great-secede-with-a-little-help-from-putin

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend and neighbor whose husband lost his job about 6 weeks ago. She is a stay at home mom who home schools two of her three kids. She's a conservative and voted for Trump. We don't talk politics much but we know where each other stands.

She was telling us she was considering getting a job to help make ends meet but she was disappointed how little cashiers at the local Publix make ($8-10/hr). Then she started talking about how unemployment benefits aren't much. She continued to mention how the people who are dependent on unemployment and food stamps make her feel bad for just needing some help to get through a tough time.

I nonchalantly pointed out that actually the large majority of people on unemployment are only on it for a few months just to get by. She was incredulous likely because she hears so much from conservative media about people abusing the system.

This is treason right? Any lawyers on here?

Marinelli’s effort is endorsed by the Kremlin, which hosted Yes California as part of an anti-globalization conference in Moscow in September. The conference was paid for by the Russian government, and the pictures of Marinelli flanked by other “freedom fighters” from Texas (“Texit,” anyone?), Catalonia, Ireland and Puerto Rico provided Yes California a veneer of legitimacy.

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/12/13...ia-calexit-leader-plots-california-secession/

Last edited:
If CA took OR, WA and HI with us, the rest of the country would be in financial trouble. :)

It would also be a huge gift to our enemies. I know these movements give us a little half chub when the presidency goes to the opposing party but secession for any state is not in the best interest of any American.

It would also be a huge gift to our enemies. I know these movements give us a little half chub when the presidency goes to the opposing party but secession for any state is not in the best interest of any American.

It would be a gift as the states with best high tech, biggest economies, a surplus of food and other products. Taxes would go down out here and all people would be treated better than the GOP would like to happen. It would immediately have a Top 5/6 economy in the world.

Taxes in the other 46 states would have to go up dramatically to make up for the lost revenues (15% of federal taxes revenues would disappear).

The reality is the new country would have only one real natural enemy...the US.

Back