• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

Not surprising given what we heard last Spring and saw in the Spring Game, especially the players' comments after such a lackluster performance.

At least that is all behind us and we don't have to deal with people defending such complacency.

I don't expect us to be good next year. But I think everyone should take this spring as a grain of salt. The real work comes this summer. If during summer scrimmage 1 things still look this bad then be really worried.

PhDeac;1743184 At least that is all behind us and we don't have to deal with people defending such complacency.[/QUOTE said:
You sure about that, ph ?

True. TyCamda3...er...jamesda3 still is weighing in.

Weather looks great for Saturday so planning to make the trip to W-S and check out hopefully the new excitement/energy around the program (not too concerned about schemes or personnel at this point; that will come). I think it would be great if Coach Manning were to work the tailgate lot before the game (unless of course he's hot on the recruiting/evaluation trail that day)

Weather looks great for Saturday so planning to make the trip to W-S and check out hopefully the new excitement/energy around the program (not too concerned about schemes or personnel at this point; that will come). I think it would be great if Coach Manning were to work the tailgate lot before the game (unless of course he's hot on the recruiting/evaluation trail that day)

It's the only live period in April. He better not be in Winston.

I loved what grobe brought wake but it is pretty telling that grobe, once fawned over Arkansas et al couldn't get a serious interview at a mid major even after declaring his desire to keep coaching. Ditto for a lot of the staff.

Pretty sure that is not what he said.

Either way, I am both appreciative of what Coach Grobe brought to Wake Forest and disappointed in what he allowed the football team to become his last 5 years. The program was in better shape when Coach Caldwell left (at least in terms of talent in the program) that it appears it was when Coach Grobe left.

Well said. It is difficult to understand how Coach Grobe having accomplished so much then allowed the program to decline so terribly in terms of sheer talent, especially on the offensive side.

You guys lost quite a few really good coaches including Hood and Lambert. That didn't help

They got out before the talent went way downhill.

I am in the camp that the loss of some really quality assistant coaches caused things to go downhill. Troy Calhoun was another big loss. He seemed to be able to put together an offense that used the strengths of the players better than anyone since.
They were who was probably bringing in the talent in the first place

True. TyCamda3...er...jamesda3 still is weighing in.

Oh come on give me a break. You know as well as I do spring is the absolute worst time to get a read on a new team. No like I said I don't expect us to be good next year, but I hate writing us off before the season begins.

The most significant success of the Grobe era was well after Calhoun left.

The most significant success of the Grobe era was well after Calhoun left.

But that had little to do with the offense.

James, Spring told us a lot under Grobe. The word after Spring seemed to always be that a position will improve that never did improve.

But that had little to do with the offense.

James, Spring told us a lot under Grobe. The word after Spring seemed to always be that a position will improve that never did improve.

I'm just glad we're not developing another super-secret offense that we can't unveil until Week 1.

Was it week 2? I don't think I ever saw an offense. It literally looked like we never ran any of the plays in practice before. Players looking to the sideline confused and lots if 3 and outs....not much of an offense really

So you think our coaches were awesome and then caused us to come back down.

Don't be obtuse. The coaching staff can be the source of both great success and bad play. It is not all or nothing.

Back