• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

Gotcha, thanks. I was very confused for a second there.

Glad we don't, but if we're playing a real game soon, Sousa would have to be the starter. He throws at least as good as Cameron and at least is a real running threat.

So Sousa was made first team QB during the Spring Game?

So Sousa was made first team QB during the Spring Game?

I attended the first half. We have ONE QB at the moment and Sousa appears to be it. Cameron has no business playing at this level. None.
Feel sorry for the kid.

Just horrendous offense *. Clawson has a big job ahead of him. Really big.

* Qualifying this statement to mean we need some ball players. Like people who can throw the ball, catch the ball and block. Oh, and we have no legitimate RB threat either.
As for the play calling. It looked fine from what I could tell. Just piss poor execution.

Last edited:
I'm feeling more optimistic, despite the current train wreck, that we can win with Sousa. If he keeps developing I think he can be an effective QB for us.

We cannot win with either QB. I'm usually optimistic, but both of these guys are sub-par at best.

My take after somewhat distractedly watching the first half:

A. Right now, we have no playmakers on O. No camp, givens, or even Harris. Not sure how much of that is personnel and how much is learning a new scheme, but if our line doesn't step up to be able to grind or drives, or if no one emerges as a that, O will be pretty pitiful.

B. We don't have a quarterback. Cameron made bad reads and overthrew most throws. Sousa was better, but has a really unorthodox throwing motion that seems to prevent him throwing a good deep ball (he did have one good strike to T Harris)

C. Running game isn't there yet, and while I couldn't really focus intently B/c my kids were with me, I don't see all that much difference in the running game from last year.

And a question: helms went down with an injury, did he come back/what's his status? The line was noticeably worse without him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So how did the defense look? How did the 4-2-5 operate? Any standouts?

I tended to be too focused on what the offense was doing to really direct much attention to the first team defense. From what I noticed- Noel can get beat. I think we have all seen this. He is good but doesn't seem like he ever made the jump to the next level after his frosh year. Not exactly sure what we see in Garcia. He kind of just takes up one blocker and doesn't seem very disruptive. D-line did stuff the run game pretty well and it did look a lot like the past couple years.

I paid more attention to the second team D. Really like what we got from Thomas Brown. Tall, rangy player who had two picks. Really liked Sheldon Lewinson as an undersized DT. Held his ground in the run game and was disruptive.

To echo above-- short on playmakers. Orville on a team with an O-line would be a dangerous weapon. We struggle to get him space. First team WRa were meh. Second team WRs were not much better. Johnny Armstrong looks like he has some potential but dropped a couple. Some guys at that position should go ahead and transfer or graduate because we need playmakers.

Official site says the score was 31-12. Compared to last year's 3-0 score, this year's game was a veritable offensive explosion. Now we can discuss whether the score shows a good/decent offense or a weak defense...

Official site says the score was 31-12. Compared to last year's 3-0 score, this year's game was a veritable offensive explosion. Now we can discuss whether the score shows a good/decent offense or a weak defense...

I'm assuming this is a little tongue in cheek, but of the 31 - 7 was a result of a pick 6 and an additional 7 were the result of a Lewinson INT returned to inside the 15

I'm assuming this is a little tongue in cheek, but of the 31 - 7 was a result of a pick 6 and an additional 7 were the result of a Lewinson INT returned to inside the 15

Ha, yeah the scoring isn't as good as it looks for the O. I also noticed our second string kicker Weaver missed his only two PAT attempts...

In all seriousness, we better have a new qb in the fall. Cameron and Sousa are both inexcusably bad given how long they have been here.

You have to blame Grobe for not giving Cameron minutes last year and for not developing Sousa as a QB. And there were plenty of times when Price could have used a breather last year and Grobe failed to develop his bench. Grobe didn't leave to much for Clawson to work with this year.

Back