• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

i saw event horizon on a date at Wake, going in thinking it was like a star trek adventure movie, left like "wtf just happened to my brain"

Any sci-fi movie that doesn't have a perfectly happy/positive ending* gets an extra star.

*Trendy post-credit scenes don't count.

Blackkklansman - great cast, well-paced, fascinating story. I'd be interested in reading more about the case to see how much was fictionalized.

Brexit - had no idea this was even a movie, but Bumblebee Cucumberwitch is really spectacular. The confluence of deep-seeded racial fear and anger + a revolution in data science and targeting behind the scenes makes for a surprisingly compelling story. They also do a good job of avoiding easy pot-shots at the events/characters that are more well known. Pretty incredible to watch three years later, especially now that Johnson is the new PM.

Midsommar- Got good reviews but I'm reminded you cannot trust a movie critic, especially in the horror film genre. I want the 2.5 hours of my life back.

The Tarantino was good, possibly very good, I need to see it again. I am quickly becoming anti-dining theater. Too many competing noises and smells. I was p stoned at the beginning, so was quite distracted at first. But any flick that uses Roy Head's "Treat Her Right" is off to a good start.

Also, it has a shout out to this movie my dad just told me about that was filmed mostly in Chapel Hill called Three In The Attic, so that was kind of fun to see.

I'm still processing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I enjoyed it as I was watching it, but something felt unfulfilled at the end. While trying to evaluate what created that "unfulfilled" feeling I think it was because I had heard there was a twist. That caused me to be so focused on figuring out if Brad Pitt was a figment of Leo's imagination and/or if Leo was already dead that the actual twist (and there is one) seemed a let down. Sorry if that goes into the realm of being spoilery, but having that knowledge would have allowed me to just soak in the movie to take it for what it is. Even while I try to reconcile my "like" of the movie, my respect for it is high. It's certainly well crafted - the acting, the setting, setups and payoffs, all that artistic stuff.

Bottom line, if you're a Tarantino fanboy (I am) then see it. If you're not, this won't be the one to win you over to him.

I'm still processing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I enjoyed it as I was watching it, but something felt unfulfilled at the end. While trying to evaluate what created that "unfulfilled" feeling I think it was because I had heard there was a twist. That caused me to be so focused on figuring out if Brad Pitt was a figment of Leo's imagination and/or if Leo was already dead that the actual twist (and there is one) seemed a let down. Sorry if that goes into the realm of being spoilery, but having that knowledge would have allowed me to just soak in the movie to take it for what it is. Even while I try to reconcile my "like" of the movie, my respect for it is high. It's certainly well crafted - the acting, the setting, setups and payoffs, all that artistic stuff.

Bottom line, if you're a Tarantino fanboy (I am) then see it. If you're not, this won't be the one to win you over to him.

Would you say that it’s a “must see in the theater” movie? I felt that way about Hateful Eight, even though in hindsight I don’t think that I liked it all that much. It was a beautiful film to see on a big screen, though.

No, this isn't MUST see in a theater, and Hateful 8, which I consider a lesser movies, absolutely was. That said, the recreation of 1969 Hollywood + adjacent areas is amazing and no doubt better enjoyed on a big screen. You're an LA guy right? I'd say for you to go ahead and experience it at its best. That's not blanket advice for everyone, it's tailor made for you Strick.

Once Upon a Time... tomorrow night for me. Stoked.

Saw it yesterday; awesome. Was wondering where the flame thrower was from.....Mrs. got it.
Al Pacino....Scent of a Woman. "If I was a younger man, Id take a flame thrower to this place".....ha.

No, this isn't MUST see in a theater, and Hateful 8, which I consider a lesser movies, absolutely was. That said, the recreation of 1969 Hollywood + adjacent areas is amazing and no doubt better enjoyed on a big screen. You're an LA guy right? I'd say for you to go ahead and experience it at its best. That's not blanket advice for everyone, it's tailor made for you Strick.

I will say that it is refreshing to see a movie that doesn't NEED a big screen fill it up in a thoughtful way. It is a great looking movie without being in your face about it, he doesn't try to cram it with a bunch of shit. QT knows what he's doing. Hateful Eight was by far my least favorite of his, so this was a pleasant rebound. I'm going again tonight, I think.

The compound/ranch scene is some great stuff.

Last edited:
Just watched Chef. What a good movie.

oof, I thought it was super cloying and boring

watched Widows yesterday -- I liked it and enjoyed identifying the local filming locales, but it's a bit overstuffed and heavy handed

oof, I thought it was super cloying and boring

watched Widows yesterday -- I liked it and enjoyed identifying the local filming locales, but it's a bit overstuffed and heavy handed

did the depiction of chicago politics seem off to you? in hindsight, the whole thing gave me three billboards vibes, tbh, where it was well acted, directed, and shot, but the script didn't feel real at all

thought they actually hit some of the political notes well: revenge redistricting, nepotism, racial segregation, role of ministers, no-bid contracts, and more

but yeah, the dialogue was underwhelming and a lot of exposition was left off screen to fit in the multiple story lines

Just got in from Once Upon a Time. I loved it.

When I saw the Cielo drive sign, I remembered the previews and what the plot would be based on.

I very much enjoyed the twist and rank it up there as one of my two favorite Tarantino climaxes.

Saw it again last night, dug it even more, although I saw it on a smaller theater screen and there were definitely some distortions/light issues that didn't happen on the Big big screen I saw it on the first time. That could be the theater, which is closing in a month, but everything was a little cleaner the first time.

It's a fairytale.

A couple of very small things stood out on second viewing, but I like in the opening shot, when they are backing out and the two leads names pop up, but over the opposite guy. I just thought that was funny. I don't know. It's the little things.

Saw Once upon a Time yesterday and really liked it. Not sure that I'm going to want to rewatch it a few times, but I'd put it on par with Jackie Brown, Django and Kill Bill. I like how there is often a minor character who stands out as memorable, like Pai Mei or Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown, and for me in this 1, it was the 8 year old girl. There was plenty of foreshadowing as to how it would end up, which I enjoyed in retrospect. Fucking hippies.

Back