• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I thought The Northman was the best movie I’ve seen in a good while. 8.5/10.

I enjoyed Dune. It looked much like what I imagined when I read the book. It advanced the basic story well, but of necessity omitted detail that greatly enhanced the novel.

I was unaware the story would be told in two parts when I began watching the movie. Good decision by the producers. I'll be certain to watch part two on the big screen.

Yea, apart from the settings, not much to compare in those movies. I fucking love Fury Road though. Action from the opening shot through to curtains. Rewatchable too.

After I posted that I was curious to see if any other folks had the same reaction - there are tons of pretty in-depth comparisons between Fury Road and Dune - especially in the wake of both directors being considered to handle multiple new movies/franchises.

Just saying there was more action in Fury Road trivializes its storytelling depth. The entire point of the argument is how does a far more action-oriented film manage to out-story Dune considering its approach and its source material? Again, I liked Dune fine, it just felt off as a film - which is a shame since in my opinion its potential was through the roof.

We agree Fury Road is a more successful movie than Dune. But I don't think they are really all that comparable. They employ very different methods of storytelling. They're both visually compelling, but again in very different ways. Different artistic visions, I think Dune is more character and dialogue driven, but Fury Road manages to advance a fairly sophisticated plot alongside packed action. It doesn't really do either film any favors to compare though, in my opinion.

The important thing is that the new Jurassic park move starts this week and then the Oscars will just be settled for the ‘em year I assume

We agree Fury Road is a more successful movie than Dune. But I don't think they are really all that comparable. They employ very different methods of storytelling. They're both visually compelling, but again in very different ways. Different artistic visions, I think Dune is more character and dialogue driven, but Fury Road manages to advance a fairly sophisticated plot alongside packed action. It doesn't really do either film any favors to compare though, in my opinion.

Fury Road has a sophisticated plot?

Otherwise agree with you. Two completely different movies to be enjoyed in different ways. The only thing they have in common is sand.

Now compare it with Lawrence of Arabia.

Or Tremors.

Or Beetlejuice. Dune sandworm doesn't hold a candle.

beetle-juice-sand-worm.gif

they should've filmed Dune on Tattooine. they had plenty of cool colors there, plus a sarlaac

I thought The Northman was the best movie I’ve seen in a good while. 8.5/10.

Haha- I watched Northman with my wife the other night and I was so bored that I got up and washed the dishes . I give it a 2/10. The wife liked it ok

I expected to love the Northman but it was different than I expected and was underwhelming to me. The cinematography was the best thing about it.

The Northman was so cool! Agree on the cinematography but I thought the story was great. Maybe I'm just a sucker for witches and swordplay.

Haha- I watched Northman with my wife the other night and I was so bored that I got up and washed the dishes . I give it a 2/10. The wife liked it ok

Your wife is still thinking of skarsgaard.

X by Ti West from 2022. It was good but I was expecting a little more after how positive I saw the reviews were.

I'm sure that I've missed the discussion, but I just saw Everything, Everywhere, All At Once yesterday and that was both the weirdest fucking movie I've ever seen and probably once of my favorite. I'm still thinking about it the next day.

Watched “X” the new A24 horror flick. It was ok.

Funny final line, pretty stylish, some nice visual references, but eh? Just a slasher where the bad guy is *spoiler* old age.

Funny final line, pretty stylish, some nice visual references, but eh? Just a slasher where the bad guy is *spoiler* old age.

it was like the unrated version of The Visit if MNS was trying to riff on Texas Chainsaw Massacre instead of found footage flicks

Back