• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Track & Field Thread: 2012-2013

TWDeac

Resident Astrophysicist
Staff member
Reaction score
I figured I'd make a thread to keep those of you who are interested updated throughout the year. Anything to get some of these worthless footy threads off the front page.

Lausanne Diamond League meet being held today.

Matt Centrowitz - 3:31.96 -1500m
Leo Manzano - 3:34.08 SB - 1500m (How slow was that Olympic 1500m if this is his SB!)
Galen Rupp dropped out after going through 800 in 1:51. It looks like he might be injured. This will put a hamper on him going after the AR in the 5000 at the Zurich DL.

Yohan Blake - 9.69 PB MR - 100m
Tyson Gay - 9.83 - 100m
Ryan Bailey - 10.00 - 100m
Carmelita Jeter - 10:86 - 100m

Blake is rounding into form. Too late for the Olympics, though.

No matter what he does he can't touch Bolt

3rd fastest 100m of all time. Bolt hasn't run under 9.60 in 3 years. Like I've said before, Blake definitely has a chance of taking on Bolt head to head in the coming year.

Oh yeah, and the Lausanne 100m was with a -0.1 headwind. All of Bolt's faster times have been with a .9 or greater tailwind.

lol I can't believe you are sticking to this idiotic point. When Bolt tries and cares no one will touch him, yeah Blake might beat him occasionally but on the big stage he has speed that no one else can touch. He ran a 9.63 like 2 weeks ago and glided to the finish like he always does.

lol I can't believe you are sticking to this idiotic point. When Bolt tries and cares no one will touch him, yeah Blake might beat him occasionally but on the big stage he has speed that no one else can touch. He ran a 9.63 like 2 weeks ago and glided to the finish like he always does.

Facts are facts. Blake just ran a 9.69(-0.1). Bolt's Berlin WR was 3 years ago and a 9.58(+0.09). It's hardly idiotic. Blake is 3 years younger and coming on strong. His performance today just solidifies it.

3rd fastest 100m of all time. Bolt hasn't run under 9.60 in 3 years. Like I've said before, Blake definitely has a chance of taking on Bolt head to head in the coming year.

Oh yeah, and the Lausanne 100m was with a -0.1 headwind. All of Bolt's faster times have been with a .9 or greater tailwind.

Unless he does it in an Olympics or a World Championships nobody cares.

Nick Symmonds' beer mile video.

His drinking form is terrible.

Some thoughts from someone much more knowledgeable about sprinting.

Blake can now threaten the WR, his adjusted 9.70 would have been a 9.60 with max wind.

Not to mention that he would already have the 200 WR if he hadn't missed the start.

These performances are significant for many reasons, not the least of which is that the 5'10" sprinter is back, with a vengeance.

What needs to happen now? First of all, Bolt needs to go 9.4x, Blake is getting to be a pain in the azz.

Second, everybody else now has to start running 9.7x and 9.6x instead of 9.8x

I'm sorry, if Johnson, Greene, Carter, and now Blake can do what they have done, then anybody can do it.

I called Blake as the next one a few years back.

I'm now calling Ashmeade as the next one.

Gay's race in Lausanne was absolutely beautiful. He will be 9.7x next year. He runs with more range and grace than Blake.

Blake is a power runner, like Johnson, Greene, and Carter, putting lots of force down in the direction of the track. Guys like this have a better feel for the track for the instant their foot is in contact with it, and can actually effect a good, progressive push even at speed. Gatlin is also like that to some extent.

But those 4 guys run with power--power meaning that the "relaxed" phase of the legs and arms is not exactly relaxed, it is a powered recovery. Look at the Lausanne slow-mo, and you will see Gay and Blake, running at the same stride rate, at the same top speed, yet Gay's arms are swinging much farther--that is because he is running with relaxation in between power applications, whereas Blake is not. The relaxation is what results in the greater swing. Blake, on the other hand, is powering different directions in immediate succession, like those other 3 guys.

That is why Blake, like those other guys, will always have a better start/drive phase than will Gay, because the start and acceleration are quickly alternating power strokes, which lead to a smoothness of acceleration. Gay uses the relaxation phase, which is why he takes long strides at the start, with full recovery even on his first few strides. That will always be slower.

The disadvantage to power sprinting manifests at speed, because power sprinting is more energy-intensive. That is why guys like Gay shine in the last half of the race, because they have the reserves, and because the relaxation portion enables them to have greater joint angles, which not only gives them some stretch reflex, but also enables a slightly longer stride, preserving the same top speed with less effort.

Drugs make all the difference for a power sprinter in the last 30 or 40m of a 100m sprint. Power sprinting works, early in the race, like all those great indoor guys who suck in the 100, it is no good for late transition, or top speed, if you are clean, because you won't be able to sustain the required energy output, the rapidity of the cycling.

Look at Blake's arm swing, it is nowhere near what Gay's is. He is not running relaxed, he is absolutely muscling it. Fantastic.

What are the limits of this type of performance? Who knows.

What I do know is that Gay was very impressive. He would have gone 9.7x in this race if he hadn't come up so early, and his top-end form was absolutely beautiful, as was his late transition.

The most incredible comeback ever.

Blake? If he continues at this rate of increase, he will be 9.60 adjusted next year, which will be a new WR with just a little bit of wind. Where can he gain? In this race he looked tight to me in the last 40m, probably because he went ever so slightly too hard in the first 40m...if he could cut back just that tiny bit, losing maybe half a meter in the first 40, I think he might more than make it back in the second half.

Either that, or he could get another .10 just coming out of the blocks, of which I'm pretty sure. His RT was good in this race, so that helped him.

Sprinting is about to go where nobody thought possible. There will be 9.4's, and multiple guys running 9.6's and maybe 9.5's.

The message to everybody is "If Blake can do it, anybody can do it."

There are other Blakes around right now, like Bledman and Ashmeade, IMHO. We will see...

Evan Jager is shutting down his season after the Stockholm 3000m. I'm excited to see his improvement as a steepler next year.

Facts are facts. Blake just ran a 9.69(-0.1). Bolt's Berlin WR was 3 years ago and a 9.58(+0.09). It's hardly idiotic. Blake is 3 years younger and coming on strong. His performance today just solidifies it.

God you are being ridiculous, you're pulling a skip bayless right now, making an outrageous claim so if on the off chance it happens you can show everyone how smart and right you are. You kept saying this before the Olympics and before the Olympics I thought Blake had a chance too, then I watched the races and Bolt absolutely smoked him. Blake is an awesome runner but there is no comparison a motivated Bolt is untouchable.

God you are being ridiculous, you're pulling a skip bayless right now, making an outrageous claim so if on the off chance it happens you can show everyone how smart and right you are. You kept saying this before the Olympics and before the Olympics I thought Blake had a chance too, then I watched the races and Bolt absolutely smoked him. Blake is an awesome runner but there is no comparison a motivated Bolt is untouchable.

It's not ridiculous at all. I'm sorry I don't have a hard-on for Usain Bolt.

If Blake crashes and burns in the next few years, I will have no problem admitting I was wrong.

Usain Bolt was a pioneer and revitalized sprinting as we know it, but I think Blake is showing that what Bolt has done, can and will be repeated in the future.

For some reason people are forgetting that Bolt keeps letting up in the races where he is dominating the field.

For some reason people are forgetting that Bolt keeps letting up in the races where he is dominating the field.

Yes. The knock against Blake is that he doesn't perform well under pressure. You could see it in the 100m final. He wasn't smooth.

Put Blake's race from yesterday against Bolt's Olympic final and it would be a different story. Bolt hasn't run 9.60 in 3 years.

Next year, Bledman, Ashmeade, Gay, Blake and even Bailey will be competing with Bolt. I think it will be an amazing year for sprinting.

Back