• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Trump Swamp Thread: Still Corrupt as Fuck

For example, I've had a boss who needed to send in his personal financial statements to a bank and a large part of his personal net worth (About half) was art, watches, wine and classic cars. I didn't have to sign off on it, but how the hell are you going to value that? I'm guessing he overstated the value some, but I'm not aware of any grossly overstated items.

I've also had bosses who are super secretive about their wealth, and don't want to flaunt it, so on some of their real estate assets they're super conservative in valuing it.

Accounting is fairly easy once you get the logic down. The most difficult decisions I've ever had in my career are balancing the ethical times I've had to tell my bosses no, since usually the person you need to regulate is paying your paycheck, and you're never truly independent. I'm sure there are a few times I should have said no and did not.

The biggest example of disagreement I can recall is a place I worked for 5 years when we had a private equity real estate fund and we were winding down and one boss wanted the fund to pay for the insurance we had to take out in the event any of the investors sued us as part of the winding down costs. I argued we should pay for it personally, not the investors. I can't recall who ended up paying for it in the end actually (so I don't remember if I won or lost), but I was totally checked out (for that and something SEC related we probably shouldn't have done) and spending all my time on the boards/playing games as a result of it I was let go shortly afterwards. Then after I was gone, the guy who wanted me to do it promoted my assistant who he really liked but was completely unqualified. Company was owned 50/50, and I had lunch with the other partner just a month or two ago and the partner who let me go used my assistant to forge some signatures on some documents of the partner I had lunch with to sell some assets behind his partners back. Luckily at the current gig, all there is is internal reporting, so there's no stress. But I don't think I want to get in that public accounting/SEC/stress life again, eventhough it's what I'd need to do to really make decent coin.

Last edited:
Accounting is complicated. This is the same line of reasoning the climate change deniers and other anti-academics on the right use.

“Anti-academics on the right”

You should really make an attempt to identify these “anti academics” because you, Mike Mann and anybody else you’d like to bring to the table would get your collective asses handed to you by the likes of Astro Physicists Soon, Happer, Lindzen, Svensmark, Christy, Shaviv among many others at the top of Physics departments who see the math you refer to as deeply flawed..to the point the modeling results have been proven to be bogus.

“Anti-academics on the right”

You should really make an attempt to identify these “anti academics” because you, Mike Mann and anybody else you’d like to bring to the table would get your collective asses handed to you by the likes of Astro Physicists Soon, Happer, Lindzen, Svensmark, Christy, Shaviv among many others at the top of Physics departments who see the math you refer to as deeply flawed..to the point the modeling results have been proven to be bogus.
Speak of the devil here's a perfect example of an anti academic on the right

Exclusive: Key Trump health official spends millions on GOP-connected consultants

The Trump appointee who oversees Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare quietly directed millions of taxpayer dollars in contracts to Republican communications consultants during her tenure atop the agency — including hiring one well-connected GOP media adviser to bolster her public profile.

The communications subcontracts approved by CMS Administrator Seema Verma — routed through a larger federal contract and described to POLITICO by three individuals with firsthand knowledge of the agreements — represent a sharp break from precedent at the agency. Those deals, managed by Verma’s deputies, came in some cases over the objections of CMS staffers, who raised concerns about her push to use federal funds on GOP consultants and to amplify coverage of Verma’s own work. CMS has its own large communications shop, including about two dozen people who handle the press.

Verma also relied on subcontracting to bring aboard longtime associate Barlow — after the White House blocked him from a permanent job leading CMS communications. Barlow, who served as a spokesperson for Verma's health care consulting firm in Indiana, had run afoul of the White House for writing a column critical of Trump, POLITICO reported at the time.

lol

Back