• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

@TownieDeac this one is for you

Scott McTominay level with Cristiano Ronaldo and ahead of Kylian Mbappe in Euro 2024 qualifying top scorers 😝

USWNT World Cup roster dropped. First match vs. Vietnam is in one month.

Sucks losing Mal Pugh, but at least we have Ertz back as holding MF because Sullivan sucked at that spot. We're fine with depth up front, at midfield and at fullback. But we are WEAK at center back (we were weak there before Sauerbrun's injury). We're going to have to rely a ton on Sophia and Rose for scoring. My guess as starters:

Rodman - Morgan - Smith
Sanchez/Mewis - Ertz - Lavelle
Dunn - Cook - Girma - Huerta/O'Hara
Naeher

37 years ago today.

Shame it has the Tyler commentary and not the commentary from Hero:

“Maradona, turns like a little eel... He comes away from trouble, little squat man, comes inside Butcher and leaves him for dead... outside Fenwick and leaves him for dead, and puts the ball away… and that is why Maradona is the greatest player in the world!"

Or the Argentine commentary where the guy starts crying (Barrilete Cosmico!)

Former Deac GK Aubrey Kingsbury made the roster, really exciting for her!

You can't post that and not mention that Aubrey Kingsbury (formerly Bledsoe) made her first ever World Cup roster. She's not going to see a single minute of action, but it's still a pretty big honor for a Wake Forest soccer great!

Edited to add: calideacon12 beat me to it!

Shame it has the Tyler commentary and not the commentary from Hero:

“Maradona, turns like a little eel... He comes away from trouble, little squat man, comes inside Butcher and leaves him for dead... outside Fenwick and leaves him for dead, and puts the ball away… and that is why Maradona is the greatest player in the world!"

Or the Argentine commentary where the guy starts crying (Barrilete Cosmico!)
Gracias Dios! Por el fútbol! Por Maradona! Por estas lágrimas!

Gracias Dios! Por el fútbol! Por Maradona! Por estas lágrimas!
Victor Hugo Morales

Translation -

Here Maradona has it. Two are marking him. Maradona steps on the ball. He starts to the right the genius of world football. He leaves the third guy behind and he's going to touch it to Burruhaga. [Wait] its only Maradona. Genius, genius, genius. Ta, ta, ta, ta, ta, ta and GOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!! GOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!! I want to cry. Good God. Long live football. Great goal!!!!!! Diego!!!!!!!! Maradona!!!!!!!!!! Pardon me, but it is to cry for!!!!! Maradona, a memorable run. A play for all times. Cosmic comet, from what planet did you come from? To leave in your wake so many English players. To make the entire country clench their fist and shout for Argentina. Argentina two, England zero. Diego! Diego! Diego Armando Maradona. Thank God for football, for Maradona, for these tears for this - Argentina two, England zero.

I can see it working out

Di Maria is gone. Chiesa is crocked.

If Weah is the only winger that they bring in this offseason he will get his chances to impress at the Old Lady.

I kind of wonder if they'd be looking at him as an outside/wingback maybe? Understudy to Cuadrado, basically, who's getting up there.

Call me crazy but I am pretty over our players moving to giant clubs and then having their club careers go off the rails because they don't get game time or aren't ready for that level of step up. See for example Pulisic, Dest, McKennie, Aaronson, Pepi. Our best performers and the players that have developed the most in the last 3-4 years are guys like Antonee, who stuck it out with Fulham going down to the Championship, got loads of playing time and improved his game, and then was ready to be a PL-caliber LB when they were promoted. Or even guys like Flo Balogun (since he's now American) who took a middling loan to a Championship club and found out the level it takes to be a true first-team pro, and then went to a midtable French team to learn what it took to lead the line game in, game out.

The idea of a bunch of Americans playing at Chelsea, Juve, Barcelona, Bayern, etc. is awesome in principle. Less awesome when it potentially stunts the growth of our first true golden generation.

Call me crazy but I am pretty over our players moving to giant clubs and then having their club careers go off the rails because they don't get game time or aren't ready for that level of step up. See for example Pulisic, Dest, McKennie, Aaronson, Pepi. Our best performers and the players that have developed the most in the last 3-4 years are guys like Antonee, who stuck it out with Fulham going down to the Championship, got loads of playing time and improved his game, and then was ready to be a PL-caliber LB when they were promoted. Or even guys like Flo Balogun (since he's now American) who took a middling loan to a Championship club and found out the level it takes to be a true first-team pro, and then went to a midtable French team to learn what it took to lead the line game in, game out.

The idea of a bunch of Americans playing at Chelsea, Juve, Barcelona, Bayern, etc. is awesome in principle. Less awesome when it potentially stunts the growth of our first true golden generation.

Meh. They all showed up in the World Cup and Nations League. I'm pretty set at this point that club form ≠ USMNT form. See Mexico. Half their team won trophies this year. Meant fuck all when we punched them in the face.

I agree that club form ≠ international form for the most part, but I think that it impacts the development of the players overall which will put a ceiling on international form. Pulisic has essentially wasted 4 years of development at Chelsea. He started almost as many games as a teenager in the Bundesliga and UCL as he did in 4 seasons at Chelsea under 5 separate managers. He is still very good but has not developed into the potential superstar that I think he could have if he wasn't buried at Chelsea. Dest is even worse considering he has a very clear developmental goal (become an average defender at least) but made 8 appearances on loan totaling just 329 minutes this past season.

I am all for the idea that when these guys get into camp, they have a cohesion as a group that brings their levels up. But to actually be successful at a WC and take the next step back to the quarterfinals and potentially even beyond, we either need phenomenal luck with a draw or we need true game-changing stars that can turn a game on their own if needed. We have a lot of guys who are very good, but we need someone (and probably multiple someones) to truly ascend to world class and if you're only playing real minutes when you come to USMNT camp, that just won't happen.

I'm not totally sold on McKennie ever being a Premier League quality starter. I don't know that he is going to get any faster at his age, and he always looked a step slow at Leeds. I don't know if that was just an acclimation issue or if he just doesn't have that in his bag

Back