• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Utah State Game Thread

Yeah. That's the point. Those are his blindspots. He doesn't perceive them as shortcomings. He probably thinks short yardage was simply an execution issue instead of a fundamental issue with using hurry-up shotgun in short yardage situations.

Game Highlights

In order for the delay read in the RPO to be effective, either the QB or the RB must have enough speed to run on the outside. With Wolford and Hinton, their speed made the outside run a viable option. Clearly Jaime does not have enough speed for the outside run. So with he and Cade in at the same time, all the defense has to do is stack the middle. Utah had this figured out in their preparation, and Clawson and our OC never adjusted. Terrible in-game coaching. We deserved to lose this game and Clawson said as much. Warren and Clawson need to own their coaching on this one. #Istayed.

Last edited:
And Nasir Greer saved our ass. I counted at least 3 breakaways where he made saving tackles denying a touchdown. Clawson owes him the game ball.

Yeah. That's the point. Those are his blindspots. He doesn't perceive them as shortcomings. He probably thinks short yardage was simply an execution issue instead of a fundamental issue with using hurry-up shotgun in short yardage situations.

Game Highlights

Thanks for posting, Ph

Beal Smith looked good.

Newman > Jordan Lovefest

WR also looked good.

Our OL needs work.

I missed his second half runs Grant Dawson about beat my ass and then we talked about the whole second half lol. But CBS did look better after a slow start I just rewatched the game. I still was looking forward to seeing wunderkind Walker after all the preseason hype.

In order for the delay read in the RPO to be effective, either the QB or the RB must have enough speed to run on the outside. With Wolford and Hinton, their speed made the outside run a viable option. Clearly Jaime does not have enough speed for the outside run. So with he and Cade in at the same time, all the defense has to do is stack the middle. Utah had this figured out in their preparation, and Clawson and our OC never adjusted. Terrible in-game coaching. We deserved to lose this game and Clawson said as much. Warren and Clawson need to own their coaching on this one. #Istayed.

Pretty much agree with this. Our play-calling in short yardage situations was infuriating. Shades of Lobo.

The players bailed out the coaches in that game. That short yardage play calling makes Manning look like John Fucking Wooden.

If anyone is interested in this emotional experience, the game is being replayed on ACCN starting now. 8:00 am.

Heartbroken... game management was horrible for us. Go back and watch our game against Michigan State last year, and it is an exact repeat of tonight. Our secondary is... not good to put it lightly. You guys have a killer QB and that bowling ball of a RB is great too. Good luck to you in the rest of your season. Hope you win the rest of the games you have left.

Brother y’all played one hell of a game. Your Aggies are gonna bounce back. I’ll be keeping an eye on them as I gained a lot of respect for your players and coaches- first class personalities. Good luck the rest of the way

For a first game of the season, I was surprised by the very few total penalties by both teams. And few were "false start" on offensive linemen. Impressive considering how many O- line guys were new and/or in new spots for both teams.

Wake and Utah State each only had one guy playin in the same spot in which he took the majority of the snaps last season.

irst off, I am thrilled wake was able to come out with a win and we were extremely fortunate. A few observations I had:
Negatives first:
1. While it’s hard to argue with the offensive production from a yards and TD perspective, there were some pretty questionable play calls, especially toward the end when we kept running the exact same run play call.
2. Pass protection was decent/good, while run blocking was not so great.
3. Our defensive line did not perform as well as we need them to against a very very young and inexperienced Aggie OL. I worry about playing teams with better OL looking forward.
4. While the secondary came up huge with some much needed turnovers, they gave up way to much yardage. Our defense as a unit gave up over 500 yards of total offense. No matter which offense we face, this can never happen and our d-coordinator needs to fix this if wake wants to win this season. If this trend continues, I trust Clawson will make the necessary moves.
5. I sit in section 7 not too far behind the defensive bench and noticed our defensive coaches, Cohen in particular looked completely at a loss of words. He looked defeated honestly. This does concern me a bit. I feel as though he felt like there was nothing he could say to get the D-line to improve the outcome on the field.
Positives:
1. WR as a unit looked great with the exception of a single player with multiple drops. Hopefully just rust from not having a full camp for that player?
2. Carney is a stud and despite the low ypc average in the game, he gained something out of nothing.
3. Newman is the man. What else can I say.
4. So happy for Hinton and glad he came back as that final play was incredible.
All in all, we were fortunate to win and this was one of those incredible comebacks where I’m not used to being on the winning side. While there is a ton of improvement needed, at least the W may give this team some confidence.

It would have been traditional Wake Forest to have gone 4 and out and left the ball on the 1 yard line.

Isn't one "definition" of insanity doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results?

I was disappointed that the Wake O-line couldn't get any push on the many short yardage situations. Maybe with a bit more experience, the O-line guys can add power run blocking to their skill sets.

Add "fake RPO" play to the playbook. It would be set up like the RPO and QB and RB would mesh, but it would be run all the way so the O-line could be much more aggressive in moving downfield and doing blocking. Let them reset the line of scrimmage 3 - 4 yards downfield.

Went to the game last night. Lots of people cleared out by the end of the third quarter. We didn’t get home till almost 2:00.

Our defense looked terrible in person. Probably just as bad on tv.

PA

Maybe it has been mentioned already, but did anyone else notice the huge Juul smoke cloud over the student section before most left at halftime? Great turnout by the students compared to recent ears, though. Also, has anyone ever been to a sporting event where the PA is that freaking loud? They could turn it down by half, and it would still be heard in Pfafftown.

Last edited:
Was there as well. Stayed for the whole game unlike many of the people around me. Many seemed annoyed anytime the fans around them got loud. Fucking old white people.

Back