• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake-Arkansas Game Thread

Odds of hitting a three to tie if the defense doesn't foul is much higher than the odds of a team making the first free throw, missing the second, and tipping the ball/scoring it to tie the game.

Odds of hitting a three to tie if the defense doesn't foul is much higher than the odds of a team making the first free throw, missing the second, and tipping the ball/scoring it to tie the game.

I was thinking Lord Kenpom wrote on this and it's actually pretty close. May be wrong tho.

Do people talk all nerdy and shit about UFC? Maybe I should get into that. Because statistical probability talk is my least favorite thing about sports in 2015.

Talking Ken Pom before Christmas is such a goddamn joke.

Of course we are so 'lucky'. I remember the State 4 ot game that came to be when this didn't work. More importantly, was the 94 ACC semi with UNC which sent that game to OT and kept us from the finals.

I'm sure we've done this before, either intentionally or accidentally, but I think we've been a 'defend' team traditionally.

Naturally, you also face a somewhat higher chance of losing the game when fouling because if the opponent rebounds and makes a FG there's a good chance for an "and 1" on the shot.

Thanks for the link. So it appears the strategies are essentially equal, though defending worked slightly more often than fouling.

I wish the article had broken down expected points for fouling vs. defending.

I'd imagine many of the games in Kenpom's sample ended on a possession of the defending team. I imagine there were several games where the trailing team made a 3 to tie the game (a bad result) but the defending team still won by going back down the court and scoring.

This seems like it would happen less frequently after the made free throw/rebound/putback scenario which would also tie the game. Kenpom doesn't seem to account for this and I wonder if it is statistically significant.

Back