• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Bowl Speculation Thread

deacondamo

El Jefe
Reaction score
Did a brief view and didn’t see anything on this issue yet.

Since the Orange Bowl is hosting the CFP this year, does an ACC champ (that’s not in CFP) go to the Fiesta Bowl? I can’t really figure it out from the ACC site.

I want to go wherever they are. A FL bowl is immensely easier for me though (and I assume others).

https://theacc.com/sports/2021/5/26/FB_0526214545.aspx

Since the Orange Bowl is hosting the CFP this year, does an ACC champ (that’s not in CFP) go to the Fiesta Bowl? I can’t really figure it out from the ACC site.

I want to go wherever they are. A FL bowl is immensely easier for me though (and I assume others).

Either peach or fiesta. Most likely peach.

For the NY6, the Rose Bowl is Big 10 and Pac 12, the Sugar is SEC and Big 12. The leaves the Peach and Fiesta to select 4 at-large teams. The ACC champion will be in one of those games. If it's Wake, I see us ending up in the Peach Bowl.

Either peach or fiesta. Most likely peach.

Makes sense. Wake (or basically any other ACC champ) would send a TON more people to ATL than Tempe.

Playing Cincy would kind of blow though. Hopefully, we get a good, traditional opponent wherever we end up.

Take a big hit off your crack pipe first before going to CBS Sports... they have us going to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego on the 28th vs. UCLA.

Its show Louisville, uNC, Clemson, NC State, and VTech going to better bowl games..

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/

How do you figure those are better bowl games. Once you get past the NY6 they are all pretty much the same, especially the P5 bowls. And bowls aren't about attendance nearly as much as they are about TV.

If we get a NY6 or even next tier - agreed that i don’t want to draw Cincy which in my mind is like Louisville in 2006. Would much rather play a blue blood program (except ND) even if it means we get teeth kicked in. Cincy is a commuter school.

If we get a NY6 or even next tier - agreed that i don’t want to draw Cincy which in my mind is like Louisville in 2006. Would much rather play a blue blood program (except ND) even if it means we get teeth kicked in. Cincy is a commuter school.

Looking at projections, we might need to pull for ND in the CFP. Otherwise, they could get the Peach ahead of ACC champ which would be absolute horseshit.

The ACC/ND half marriage situation is tough to swallow.

Take a big hit off your crack pipe first before going to CBS Sports... they have us going to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego on the 28th vs. UCLA.

Its show Louisville, uNC, Clemson, NC State, and VTech going to better bowl games..

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/

From a historical perspective calling the Duke's Mayo Bowl in Charlotte a better bowl than the Holiday Bowl doesn't really hold up. And no chance in hell the Fenway Bowl is a better bowl.

I'll concede the Holiday Bowl isn't what it once was but it's still a very good bowl. If we don't make the CFP/NY6 I want Orlando or San Diego personally. Warm weather FTMFW

Looking at projections, we might need to pull for ND in the CFP. Otherwise, they could get the Peach ahead of ACC champ which would be absolute horseshit.

The ACC/ND half marriage situation is tough to swallow.

I'm guessing they'd look at it strategically and realize sending Wake to Atlanta and Notre Dame to Arizona is a much better idea from a ticket sales standpoint than vice versa

I'm guessing they'd look at it strategically and realize sending Wake to Atlanta and Notre Dame to Arizona is a much better idea from a ticket sales standpoint than vice versa

Whichever bowl gets ND likely sells more tickets locally. I don’t know how those decisions are made, but they would be disinclined to compromise.

Whichever bowl gets ND likely sells more tickets locally. I don’t know how those decisions are made, but they would be disinclined to compromise.

Generally, the NY6 bowls rotate through the Group of 5 representative....since the Peach Bowl had Cincinnati last year, that spot would normally go to the Fiesta Bowl this year (since the Cotton Bowl has to have the G5 team in year 3 of the rotation), but if Cincinnati makes the playoff, that could shuffle everything up. They obviously wouldn't have a Cinci/Notre Dame rematch in a NY6 bowl, so that could also help drive teams to certain locations that may seem unusual.

Is there anything in black-and-white that rules out a rematch? If that makes the most sense considering all factors I could still see it happening, especially when there are only two games and four slots available.

ESPN seems to have a massive say in how these matchups shake out -- not in terms of who gets picked for the NY6 but who plays each other in which game. Given that I think Atlanta would be most likely for us, I'd imagine they'd want the lesser viewer draw on a Thursday night (Dec. 30) as opposed to at 1 PM on New Years

Last edited:
From a historical perspective calling the Duke's Mayo Bowl in Charlotte a better bowl than the Holiday Bowl doesn't really hold up. And no chance in hell the Fenway Bowl is a better bowl.

I'll concede the Holiday Bowl isn't what it once was but it's still a very good bowl. If we don't make the CFP/NY6 I want Orlando or San Diego personally. Warm weather FTMFW

I mostly based it on the date of the bowl game... usually the earlier bowl games are the lesser tiers

I mostly based it on the date of the bowl game... usually the earlier bowl games are the lesser tiers

That's true, the bowls before Christmas are usually G6 matchups and the ones between Christmas and New Year's are P5. In my opinion, the NY6 is the top level, then any bowl that has two P5 teams playing each other, then any P5-G6 matchups, and finally any G6 vs. G6, and most of those are played pre-Christmas.

But there is really not much difference between the Holiday, Mayo, Sun, Gator, Pinstripe, Cheez-it bowls.

Back